“Pleasant but worth the money?”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My partner and I stayed for one night whilst visiting friends in Bath. The hotel is located off the A36 and is easy to find. First annoyance on arriving is the potholed and muddy car park - I'm sure it adds to the country feel but it would be far better for this to be a decent surface.

The hotel looks charming and welcoming. The desk staff were friendly and accompanied us to our room to show us the way. We'd booked a junior suite at a "late availability" rate of £179 for the night. The room was fine, spacious and comfortable though showing signs of wear and tear with some cobwebs in the corners. The bathroom was modern and clean and the toiletries were Elemis of the type found in many hotels. The bed was extremely soft, which isn't our preference but it was an adequate sleep.

Afternoon tea is served in the lounge, though you probably need to make a reservation for that - something that isn't pointed out so you may end up seated elsewhere. When you get it the afternoon tea was fine, if somewhat pricey.

We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but in the morning we had breakfast in the restaurant. Service was staggeringly slow - we were there for twenty minutes before any food arrived - one hard poached egg of the two soft poached eggs I had ordered accompanied by a rack of white toast instead of the whole wheat we'd ordered on seating!

The staff are all pleasant though clearly some were young and inexperienced and couldn't adapt to the situations put in front of them.

The spa looked nice though you have to exit the building to get to it which isn't ideal in unpleasant weather.

Hotels in this area are pricey but was this worth the price we paid - no, probably not. Would we

3  Thank RichardC63
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am sorry you found some things lacking. We take all feedback on board and I will be raising all of your comments with my management team to ensure that we put corrective measures in place.

We do have a few members of the team who are younger, but this is because we believe in investing in the future generation of hoteliers. We provide them with full training and support them whilst they study for their catering qualifications and the vast majority of our guests appreciate this investment.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely couple of days in the Bath area. We stayed at the Homewood Spa Hotel- what a lovely place in such beautiful surroundings.Whilst we were happy with the bedroom, the breakfast and quality of facilities, we were really disappointed with the level of service we received, very surprising for a 4* Hotel as we stay in many hotels during the course of a year and have mostly good experiences of similar hotels. There was no one to welcome us in reception and we waited a good while before anyone came to check us in. We went into the Spa in the afternoon which was very nice. Unfortunately however, the phone in that area only worked intermittently and we weren’t able to order any drinks (the masseur who we had spoken to said it said the phone was dodgy!). Why then if people knew it didn’t work properly had no one come and mended it. Also, would it be too difficult for a waiter to pop down from time to time to take orders? A bit of friendly service?? The most disappointing aspect was the following morning. It says the spa opens at 8am. We signed in (there was no one at the reception) then arrived about 8.20am but the pool cover was still on and the sauna and steam room were stone cold and not on at all. We went back into the main hotel (still no one on the spa reception and phone still not working) and found a waiter who said the electrics must have ‘tripped off.’ In fact, the lady on main reception told us later that no one had turned up to put things on – apparently this is normally done soon after 7am to give time for things to heat up.
It therefore meant that we weren’t able to make use of the facilities as even 1/2 hour later nothing was hot enough. Frankly, I found this appalling for a hotel advertising itself as a Spa Hotel and it really spoilt my enjoyment of the time there as I was looking forward to this aspect. I have raised this with the staff and feel we should have been compensated as we were unable to enjoy the facilities as advertised. However, although I got an apology I got the distinct feeling that they didn't really care. My husband and I were left with the overall opinion that this hotel is undoubtedly in a lovely place and the facilities are really good. However, if the service is this poor (the hotel was clearly understaffed) then it leaves you disappointment - we expected better.

Dear Mr & Mrs Tait,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us, I’m sorry to read you felt our apologies in response to your to email was not suffice to the shortcomings of your stay with us, as explained previously I am glad to read that you were happy with the breakfast, bedroom and quality of facilities.

Again, please accept my apologies, I am very disappointed that it spoilt the end of your time with us. The receptionist at the time of your arrival was dealing with another guest at the time- sorry that you had to wait for a few minutes before being seen to. Unfortunately we were unable to fix the problem with the spa phone on site so we are awaiting a replacement phone for the spa which will be here very shortly, in the meantime the spa phone works for the majority of the phone calls we receive from the spa. We initially thought the electrics had tripped before finding out that sauna and steam room were in fact turned off, these rooms take around 20-30 minutes to heat so should have been hot enough for use.

I do hope that you will return to Homewood Park in the near future so we are able to show you that we pride ourselves on excellent customer service and do our utmost for all of our guests that stay with us.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Our suite was out of this world the staff were very helpful all had the makings of the perfect weekend break, however the food was very disappointing especially the cold very stingy breakfast...half a mushroom, half a tomato, one small rasher of bacon & raw potatoes! On a more positive note the spa is lovely as was my massage but unfortunately my manicure was terrible & I couldn't wait to sort it out myself. I hope my review is helpful & my criticism is constructive this house is truly stunning

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Jessica B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay.

I am so pleased to read how happy you were with your Suite and found the staff very helpful.

I am, however, disappointed to read that the food was not to your taste, it’s very rare that we receive negative comments about the food, but I will pass your comments onto the Kitchen team.

We hope to welcome you back to Homewood Park Hotel at some point over the summer months.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel ranks as one of the best we have stayed in. The room was beautiful, the bed was huge, the bedding top quality and the decor was lovely.
I love teh mix of traditional features with contemporary style which is seen throughout the hotel. The added bonus is the lovely outdoor pool and spa area, bath robes and slippers provided !
The dining room was stylish and our evening meal faultless. Maybe a little more choice if we were to stay longer. Lovely cozy lounge with a fire burning and seperate bar.
All the staff were a credit to the hotel - we will hopefully be back !

1  Thank slinketh

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay at Homewood Park.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

I very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband and I needed a last minute get away and this hotel was a perfect choice. At £139 per room, per night including breakfast through Secret Escapes this was superb value for money. The hotel is five miles out of Bath and going in to town was simple from that direction, there was plenty of convenient car parks.

The hotel has a really modern and tasteful interior. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room (12) was lovely and the bed was huge and very comfy. The food is superb reflecting a very talented chef who obviously likes to add quirky touches.

The disappointments included the over-priced wine list. The cheapest wines (and not of a very good standard) were £35-£45. The spa was really expensive compared to other hotels of this level and the fittings in our bathroom needed attention to stop them falling off the wall.

The down sides were far outweighed by the loveliness of the hotel and the very accommodating staff.

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms would be lovely. There is no fridge or mini bar.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, look out for our 1 and 2 night spa breaks on our website which include a variety of spa treatments.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I was treated to a surprise night away at Homewood Park in March 2014. We stayed in a garden suite room, it was just perfect and didn't feel like a normal hotel room. The room was very peaceful and felt very secluded. The spa was lovely, there were only a few other couples there. We had dinner in the restaurant and really enjoyed everything we had. The staff were very welcoming. Overall a thoroughly relaxing stay, we hope to be back soon!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fabulous review.

It is great to read all of your positive comments which I have passed onto the team.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just spent two wonderful nights here, fantastic room, the spa was amazing, massage on arrival, jacuzzi both days and had a swim in the heated out door pool, breakfast was exceptional - a truly relaxing and special break. Opted for room service in the evenings after using spa - prompt service great food. Definitely will be returning.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us in March. I am delighted to read you both had such a wonderful time here.

I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to the team.

We hope to welcome you back to Homewood Park very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
Bailbrook House Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#22 of 34 in Bath

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!