“Lovely spa hotel”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
hayle, cornwall
“Lovely spa hotel”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights, Monday 24th and Tuesday 25 the June 2014 in room 2. The weather during our stay was very sunny and warm.
We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children, one 3 and a half going on 13 and one 5 and a half months. The room was plenty big enough for us, a huge bed, a cot, and a single pop up bed for little un, and with a lovely view of the garden all a bonus.
We used the spa on our arrival, after having everything explained to us by a very welcoming front of house. The pool was lovely and warm and the steam room, sauna and bubble pool all very nice and clean.
We decided to eat on the lawn both nights we were there, we chose from the bar menu, great service, very friendly and amazing food, especially the club sandwich! We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment, but going by the food we had I'm sure it would be 5 star.
Breakfast was very nice, plenty of choice, great cooked breakfast, very well presented.
We all had a lovely stay, the staff young yet courteous, nothing too much hassle or bother, room service was fantastic too!
My only grip was the room was very hot at night, I know the weather was hot, but we still had a 10.5 tog duvet on the bed, it would be good if they could offer the choice of a summer duvet. Also, I'm not sure of the feasibility of this, but putting in air conditioning, even if a stand alone plug in unit in the room on the hotter days/guest request.
I would definitely recommend the hotel and spa, and would stay here again without question.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nathanglinski
at_homewoodpark, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review, the team are chuffed that you enjoyed your stay. The weather this year has given us a fantastic Summer so far but it does pose its own challenges.

I have asked our housekeeping manager to look into alternative duvets which we will look to implement next year, but unfortunately due to the age and listed nature of the building we cannot implement air conditioning. We have looked at single units however we feel they would detract from the natural beauty of the hotel and this, for us is to much of a negative when considering how rare it is that we have such warm weather.

I am pleased that this small negative did not have to much impact on your stay and it is great to read that you plan to join us again, we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just got home after a wonderful overnight stay at this hotel. Booked as a last minute deal through late rooms, our stay included evening meal and breakfast. We arrived at around half three in the afternoon. The hotel was easy to find, and is signposted from the main road. Driving up, you notice how pretty the large gardens are. The car park is a short walk from the entrance, but you can drop off bags and turn easily if you need to do so (or if someone has difficulty walking|). A warm welcome, and shown up to our very pleasant room. (stairs are shallow if anyone struggles). Was sharing with a friend, so we had twin beds, in a large room with a huge bathroom attached. Elemis toiletries are provided. Wifi was free and effortless to log into.

After donning the provided thick robes (and slippers) we went down to the Spa. To start with we had the place to ourselves. Quite lovely, and spotlessly clean - there is a steam room and sauna. Also inside is a large warm hydrotherapy pool - where you can switch the powerful bubbles on as you wish. There are comfy loungers and chairs dotted around, and a selection of towels to dry off. The outside pool was warm and sheltered, and there are some sun loungers there too. I have arthritis, so did struggle with the ladder getting in and out of the pool, but floating in the sunshine made up for the effort.

The evening meal was superb. There were 5 or 6 choices for starter and main course. It was excellent, as was the service. Only gripe was the price of the wine list - the cheapest was £30. We didn't bother, and had a bottle of water. (Looked like other tables were the same, with a couple just having a glass of wine). Whatever you order, do have chips as a side to share - they were gorgeous! We were so stuffed, we didn't think we could manage a pudding. Instead we ordered a hot chocolate and brandy. This came with the largest plate of homemade petit fours I have ever seen! My goodness, they were lovely.

Slept like a log, as the bed was downy soft. Breakfast this morning was very good, with plenty of choice. A few special dishes were a little extra, but we couldn't fault what we had - and service was quick.

On checking out, we were pleasantly surprised that we hadn't "overspent" by very much at all - a very reasonable £8 each. Had been a bit frightened by others reviews. Don't worry - relax and enjoy, this hotel is special. I am looking forward to another visit.

Room Tip: We had a standard "classic" room. Assume it was a poorer location. However, so leafy all...
2 Thank JanMay67
at_homewoodpark, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear JanMay67,

My thanks for your very detailed and very kind feedback. Such constructive and positive feedback is a real boost to my team and they were thrilled with your comments and they share your sentiments - the chips are fantastic!

I am sorry you did not find something you fancied on our wine list, we do list over a handful of wines under £25, however we do often receive similar comments and we believe an element of this is due to the current style and layout, to which end i am pleased to confirm the impending arrival of new wine folders that will accompany our soon to launch new wine list....

Hope to see you again soon,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

At first glance the hotel looks amazing, beautiful gardens and a really nice feeling from the moment you set foot in the place. I will definitely go back and try the hotel. This time we didn't stay at the hotel we visited for a day spa experience and for this I'm afraid they didn't do so well.

This spa is fantastic if you want a spa treatment at a hotel. I would not recommend for a "day spa experience". The spa is small. There is only the outdoor pool which on a beautifully sunny and warm day made it a lovely day, but if it had been cold and wet my review may have been significantly harsher.

On arrival, no one to meet or greet us. No coffee or tea, no warm welcome with robes and towels. I sat by the pool until someone came and found me. I had to order coffee which I wasn't allowed to have by the pool. The reason that point is important, is if you are a day spa visitor, there isn't anywhere else to sit other than by the pool so where would you lounge around with a cup of tea and a magazine if it wasn't by the pool?

Amazingly yummy lunch taken in our robes in the herb garden again because it was a lovely day. Not sure where you would take lunch in your robe otherwise. Painfully slow service.

Silly size pool, only one steam room (out of action) and one sauna. 2 treatment rooms and not much else.

Fantastic facial though.

If they can take the treatments and the food and try to work out how to do a proper day spa experience it would be lovely. But I wouldn't recommend it as it stands.

6 Thank JMuk
Good evening JMuk,

Thank you for your review of our Spa. As a small hotel we are thrilled to have a very highly regarded Spa boasting steam room, sauna, hydrotherapy pool and a partially covered outdoor pool that is heated to 28 degrees all year round. Not to mention our busy treatment rooms and champagne nail bar. As you mention, it is a small Spa that creates a relaxing and intimate experience and for this reason we limit the amount of bookings at any given time.

I am sorry that a member of our team was not available to greet you. We offer a personal service and we show all our guests personally to the Spa or there bedrooms and occasionally our team are away from the desk whilst they show our guests to there destination. We do place a sign encouraging guests to wait near the desks however i appreciate that occasionally some guests are keen to get to the Spa and start enjoying there day. I am pleased however that a member of my team did seek out and find you in the pool before showing you to the Spa and providing your robe, slippers and towels.

Our fantastic herb garden (we use the herbs in our kitchen) is perfect for warmer days to enjoy a drink or light lunch and with direct access to the outdoor pool is perfectly located. Of course our Spa guests are welcome to enjoy our dining rooms and lounges in the colder months.

I am pleased you enjoyed your facial, we often receive praise for our treatments testament to need to often book in advance as we are a very popular venue for residents and local guests.

We are currently looking at improvements to our Spa and your feedback will assist in the areas we look to improve, i hope we can welcome you again in the future to see the changes that we are continually making,

Best regards,
Southend on Sea
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beautiful country house set in exceptional gardens, a real retreat for a relaxing break. Lovely spacious comfortable rooms and enjoyed watching the House Martins darting about taking food to their nests. Stunning views of the surrounding countryside.

The Spa WOW. I think the best I have come across in a UK hotel and most of the time we had it to ourselves.

Breakfast was superb and we treated ourselves to afternoon tea on the front lawn which was really well presented and extra special because we had such a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy it.

Honestly can't find fault, will definitely return

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are above the kitchen as the extractor is very loud. It does get switched off at ni...
1 Thank Subshell
Dear Subshell,

Thank you so much for your really positive feedback. Such feedback really motivates the team and we are all thrilled with your kind words. Our intimate Spa is perfectly suited in size for our small hotel and creates a fantastic setting. Hopefully you will be back with us before the House Martins return next year!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I wish I had read to the bottom of a previous review about staying in room 5. Do not stay in this room. It is incredibly noisy. Absolutely every noise from the room upstairs can be heard. Walking, talking, opening of cupboard doors and the fan in their bath. They decided not to go to bed til 130am so nor did we, not what you want when you are paying a lot to get away from it all. They definitely need to think about insulating that room better as it almost spoilt our whole stay.
On the plus sides, it is in a lovely location - I would certainly recommend going to nearby Frome, a lovely little oldy worldy place. The room was clean and spacious. The food was absolutely delicious and beautifully well presented and the massage I had in the spa was the best I have ever had and I've had massages in the sanctuary spa in London. The hydrotherapy pool was lovely and relaxing and the staff were generally happy and helpful. It is a lovely hotel and if we had another room we might be returning but 2 bad nights sleep will probably put us off forever.

4 Thank Alice_604
Dear Alice_604,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I was pleased to read your fantastic praise for the Restaurant at Homewood Park and our Spa, and you are spot on that nearby Frome is most definitely worth a visit. I am sorry to read that you did not get a great nights sleep and that this may put you off coming again?

We have noted your feedback which we will utilise when we are improving the rooms above during our ongoing refurbishment program and i am pleased to note we have already replaced the offending bathroom fan.

I do hope that the many positives aspects of your stay would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back, and i would be pleased to handle any such future reservation personally to ensure you have a fantastic nights sleep with us. Please do get in touch,

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This time last year we enjoyed a weekend break away at a luxury hotel elsewhere in Wiltshire, so this year we decided to return to what is fast becoming our favourite county for a similar treat to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
And we made another excellent choice! Homewood Park is indeed a fine country house hotel,
and from the minute we walked through the impressive entrance we felt welcome and relaxed in this striking and historic setting - and the glass of champagne made our arrival all the more welcoming.
We had arranged a two-night stay which included dinner on one night and a pampering 1 hour spa treatment each. Our 'classic double' room was large and spacious with an extremely comfortable sofa, one of the biggest beds we've ever had the pleasure to sleep in and a well laid out and equipped ensuite; the view from the bedroom over the gardens and surrounding countryside was a bit limited but, that apart, we had absolutely no complaints.
Food in the restaurant was excellent (but do be aware it is quite expensive and the wine list especially so) and full marks go to the Polish chef; our celebratory dinner was superbly presented and mouthwateringly tasty. Just one observation regarding the waiters at breakfast on the second day: they need to be a little better organised and co-ordinated to ensure a smooth, delay-free service but, otherwise, the overall service was efficient and courteous.
We didn't use the outdoor pool - although it is heated - as the weather wasn't that inviting but, on a hot sunny day, it would be a real treat; the spa itself is excellent and well laid out and we especially enjoyed our special massage treatments which were highly professional and both relaxing as well as invigorating.
Despite the slightly variable weather we did manage to take a walk round the gardens - the hotel is set amid 10 acres of gardens and woodlands - which although well laid out fell a little way short of our expectations given their multi-award winning track record a few years ago; the grass needed cutting, the flower beds needed forking and some of the shrubs were in need of a gentle pruning and general tidy up.
But these are all minor details and certainly don't detract from the overall comfort, luxury and pampering on offer at Homewood Park. And its location just a few miles from Bath and Bradford on Avon, and within easy reach of some lovely, picturesque Wiltshire villages as well as a trip to Stonehenge if you have time, make it a really great choice for a truly memorable break whatever the occasion.

3 Thank Geoffrey A
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great food, absolutely delicious. Really good value for money . Lovely spa. Unfortunately staff didnt come to serve us for drinks in the bar or lounge area in the evenings. Staff seemed inexperienced. Beautiful setting.

Hello roz h,

Thank you for your concise feedback following your stay with us. I was of course thrilled to read your kind comments regarding our food which we are very proud off. I am sorry that we failed to offer your table service in the lounge and bar. This is very much a standard we should be delivering and i have made a point to revisit this with the food and beverage team.

We have recently appointed a new supervisor to oversee the bar experience and we are already seeing a great improvement, alongside we have started a bar training program for all members of the food and beverage operation.

Thanks again for your feedback, hopefully we will see you soon to enjoy a fabulous 'Garden Martini' using homegrown cucumbers and mint and homemade mint gomme!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#10 of 34 in Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!