“I never give 5 stars but....”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I never give 5 stars but I came very close with Homewood Park Hotel and spa. Our room(no 20) was spacious and very comfortable with a view over the swimming pol to the spa. The bathroom with its own mezzanine was enormous. We ate twice in the restaurant and the food is approaching Michelin star standard,
The spa was excellent with a very good massage, facial and pedicure. The heated pool was a delight. Oodles of towels and comfortable beds.
Service was warm and casual but efficient. We are trying to find time for another visit in the near future.

Room Tip: $Rooms in the old building are full of character.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobertS S
There are newer reviews for Homewood Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had my wedding here at the end of may and just thought I would write a review to help other brides to be, we had our whole day here including the ceramony, I had a lovely day but there a few bits that did let it down.

When the groom arrived on the morning of the wedding he was annoyed that the hotel didn't seem ready, the ceremony room was not at all ready, so meant that our guests had to wait out side I turned up at 11:45 as told, ceremony was at 12 guests were all still waiting outside. But it was OK they then got sat down fairly quickley.
Everyone agreed it was a lovely venue we had 110 guests to the day for a sit down meal which was the max amount if you were using their main room. I was a bit tight but not really I problem only thing was the guests on the tables that were in the bay windows couldn't all see the head table which was a bit if a shame but they just got up and moved during the speeches.

I was really pleased with the food it tasted lovely, the portions were small but think that is what you expect with a place like this and I felt having the 3 courses was just about filled you up although some guests did complain to me that the portions were too small (Rude I know). The main thing that bothered me about the whole day was the bar, we knew there was a small bar and were worried about this before we booked the wedding but we were told there would be enough staff to serve our customers and there would be waiter service so it won't be a problem, this didn't happen everyone had to go to the bar to order their drink which meant there was a very big queue!! They ran out of ice very quickley not enough glasses just really not prepared for that many people and we had about 150 in the eve. But what annoyed me most is that I actually wouldn't have really known about the problem with the bar but the lady that was running the day pulled me away from my friends to tell me that my dad had been complaining to her just what a bride needs to hear!!!

Evening food was really good had fish and chip cones and bacon rolls and pizzas went down really well. The d.j the hotel recommended was really good too. Being able to use the spa the next day was lush, So overall a good day but just need a bigger bar for a big wedding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Becky L
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights, Monday 24th and Tuesday 25 the June 2014 in room 2. The weather during our stay was very sunny and warm.
We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children, one 3 and a half going on 13 and one 5 and a half months. The room was plenty big enough for us, a huge bed, a cot, and a single pop up bed for little un, and with a lovely view of the garden all a bonus.
We used the spa on our arrival, after having everything explained to us by a very welcoming front of house. The pool was lovely and warm and the steam room, sauna and bubble pool all very nice and clean.
We decided to eat on the lawn both nights we were there, we chose from the bar menu, great service, very friendly and amazing food, especially the club sandwich! We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment, but going by the food we had I'm sure it would be 5 star.
Breakfast was very nice, plenty of choice, great cooked breakfast, very well presented.
We all had a lovely stay, the staff young yet courteous, nothing too much hassle or bother, room service was fantastic too!
My only grip was the room was very hot at night, I know the weather was hot, but we still had a 10.5 tog duvet on the bed, it would be good if they could offer the choice of a summer duvet. Also, I'm not sure of the feasibility of this, but putting in air conditioning, even if a stand alone plug in unit in the room on the hotter days/guest request.
I would definitely recommend the hotel and spa, and would stay here again without question.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nathanglinski
at_homewoodpark, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your kind review, the team are chuffed that you enjoyed your stay. The weather this year has given us a fantastic Summer so far but it does pose its own challenges.

I have asked our housekeeping manager to look into alternative duvets which we will look to implement next year, but unfortunately due to the age and listed nature of the building we cannot implement air conditioning. We have looked at single units however we feel they would detract from the natural beauty of the hotel and this, for us is to much of a negative when considering how rare it is that we have such warm weather.

I am pleased that this small negative did not have to much impact on your stay and it is great to read that you plan to join us again, we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just got home after a wonderful overnight stay at this hotel. Booked as a last minute deal through late rooms, our stay included evening meal and breakfast. We arrived at around half three in the afternoon. The hotel was easy to find, and is signposted from the main road. Driving up, you notice how pretty the large gardens are. The car park is a short walk from the entrance, but you can drop off bags and turn easily if you need to do so (or if someone has difficulty walking|). A warm welcome, and shown up to our very pleasant room. (stairs are shallow if anyone struggles). Was sharing with a friend, so we had twin beds, in a large room with a huge bathroom attached. Elemis toiletries are provided. Wifi was free and effortless to log into.

After donning the provided thick robes (and slippers) we went down to the Spa. To start with we had the place to ourselves. Quite lovely, and spotlessly clean - there is a steam room and sauna. Also inside is a large warm hydrotherapy pool - where you can switch the powerful bubbles on as you wish. There are comfy loungers and chairs dotted around, and a selection of towels to dry off. The outside pool was warm and sheltered, and there are some sun loungers there too. I have arthritis, so did struggle with the ladder getting in and out of the pool, but floating in the sunshine made up for the effort.

The evening meal was superb. There were 5 or 6 choices for starter and main course. It was excellent, as was the service. Only gripe was the price of the wine list - the cheapest was £30. We didn't bother, and had a bottle of water. (Looked like other tables were the same, with a couple just having a glass of wine). Whatever you order, do have chips as a side to share - they were gorgeous! We were so stuffed, we didn't think we could manage a pudding. Instead we ordered a hot chocolate and brandy. This came with the largest plate of homemade petit fours I have ever seen! My goodness, they were lovely.

Slept like a log, as the bed was downy soft. Breakfast this morning was very good, with plenty of choice. A few special dishes were a little extra, but we couldn't fault what we had - and service was quick.

On checking out, we were pleasantly surprised that we hadn't "overspent" by very much at all - a very reasonable £8 each. Had been a bit frightened by others reviews. Don't worry - relax and enjoy, this hotel is special. I am looking forward to another visit.

Room Tip: We had a standard "classic" room. Assume it was a poorer location. However, so leafy all...
2  Thank JanMay67
at_homewoodpark, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear JanMay67,

My thanks for your very detailed and very kind feedback. Such constructive and positive feedback is a real boost to my team and they were thrilled with your comments and they share your sentiments - the chips are fantastic!

I am sorry you did not find something you fancied on our wine list, we do list over a handful of wines under £25, however we do often receive similar comments and we believe an element of this is due to the current style and layout, to which end i am pleased to confirm the impending arrival of new wine folders that will accompany our soon to launch new wine list....

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

At first glance the hotel looks amazing, beautiful gardens and a really nice feeling from the moment you set foot in the place. I will definitely go back and try the hotel. This time we didn't stay at the hotel we visited for a day spa experience and for this I'm afraid they didn't do so well.

This spa is fantastic if you want a spa treatment at a hotel. I would not recommend for a "day spa experience". The spa is small. There is only the outdoor pool which on a beautifully sunny and warm day made it a lovely day, but if it had been cold and wet my review may have been significantly harsher.

On arrival, no one to meet or greet us. No coffee or tea, no warm welcome with robes and towels. I sat by the pool until someone came and found me. I had to order coffee which I wasn't allowed to have by the pool. The reason that point is important, is if you are a day spa visitor, there isn't anywhere else to sit other than by the pool so where would you lounge around with a cup of tea and a magazine if it wasn't by the pool?

Amazingly yummy lunch taken in our robes in the herb garden again because it was a lovely day. Not sure where you would take lunch in your robe otherwise. Painfully slow service.

Silly size pool, only one steam room (out of action) and one sauna. 2 treatment rooms and not much else.

Fantastic facial though.

If they can take the treatments and the food and try to work out how to do a proper day spa experience it would be lovely. But I wouldn't recommend it as it stands.

6  Thank JMuk

Good evening JMuk,

Thank you for your review of our Spa. As a small hotel we are thrilled to have a very highly regarded Spa boasting steam room, sauna, hydrotherapy pool and a partially covered outdoor pool that is heated to 28 degrees all year round. Not to mention our busy treatment rooms and champagne nail bar. As you mention, it is a small Spa that creates a relaxing and intimate experience and for this reason we limit the amount of bookings at any given time.

I am sorry that a member of our team was not available to greet you. We offer a personal service and we show all our guests personally to the Spa or there bedrooms and occasionally our team are away from the desk whilst they show our guests to there destination. We do place a sign encouraging guests to wait near the desks however i appreciate that occasionally some guests are keen to get to the Spa and start enjoying there day. I am pleased however that a member of my team did seek out and find you in the pool before showing you to the Spa and providing your robe, slippers and towels.

Our fantastic herb garden (we use the herbs in our kitchen) is perfect for warmer days to enjoy a drink or light lunch and with direct access to the outdoor pool is perfectly located. Of course our Spa guests are welcome to enjoy our dining rooms and lounges in the colder months.

I am pleased you enjoyed your facial, we often receive praise for our treatments testament to need to often book in advance as we are a very popular venue for residents and local guests.

We are currently looking at improvements to our Spa and your feedback will assist in the areas we look to improve, i hope we can welcome you again in the future to see the changes that we are continually making,

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beautiful country house set in exceptional gardens, a real retreat for a relaxing break. Lovely spacious comfortable rooms and enjoyed watching the House Martins darting about taking food to their nests. Stunning views of the surrounding countryside.

The Spa WOW. I think the best I have come across in a UK hotel and most of the time we had it to ourselves.

Breakfast was superb and we treated ourselves to afternoon tea on the front lawn which was really well presented and extra special because we had such a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy it.

Honestly can't find fault, will definitely return

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that are above the kitchen as the extractor is very loud. It does get switched off at ni...
1  Thank Subshell

Dear Subshell,

Thank you so much for your really positive feedback. Such feedback really motivates the team and we are all thrilled with your kind words. Our intimate Spa is perfectly suited in size for our small hotel and creates a fantastic setting. Hopefully you will be back with us before the House Martins return next year!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I wish I had read to the bottom of a previous review about staying in room 5. Do not stay in this room. It is incredibly noisy. Absolutely every noise from the room upstairs can be heard. Walking, talking, opening of cupboard doors and the fan in their bath. They decided not to go to bed til 130am so nor did we, not what you want when you are paying a lot to get away from it all. They definitely need to think about insulating that room better as it almost spoilt our whole stay.
On the plus sides, it is in a lovely location - I would certainly recommend going to nearby Frome, a lovely little oldy worldy place. The room was clean and spacious. The food was absolutely delicious and beautifully well presented and the massage I had in the spa was the best I have ever had and I've had massages in the sanctuary spa in London. The hydrotherapy pool was lovely and relaxing and the staff were generally happy and helpful. It is a lovely hotel and if we had another room we might be returning but 2 bad nights sleep will probably put us off forever.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alice_604

Dear Alice_604,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I was pleased to read your fantastic praise for the Restaurant at Homewood Park and our Spa, and you are spot on that nearby Frome is most definitely worth a visit. I am sorry to read that you did not get a great nights sleep and that this may put you off coming again?

We have noted your feedback which we will utilise when we are improving the rooms above during our ongoing refurbishment program and i am pleased to note we have already replaced the offending bathroom fan.

I do hope that the many positives aspects of your stay would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back, and i would be pleased to handle any such future reservation personally to ensure you have a fantastic nights sleep with us. Please do get in touch,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#21 of 31 in Bath
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!