“Hotel Spa Disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Park Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Hotel Spa Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I feel compelled to write this review as I have received no response from the hotel manager of my disappointment.
I treated my elderly mother to a spa afternoon with tea for a special birthday treat on 2/07/14. Unfortunately I was left feeling very disappointed that my spa treatment had been cut short by 10 minutes.
We booked two 25 minute back neck and shoulder massages for mum at 14.30 and myself at 15.00. We were not advised to be ready and waiting early at all but decided to be there five minutes early at 14.25 by the Spa clock.
The therapist arrived at 14.30 and asked us to complete lenghty treatment consultation forms which took at least 6 minutes for my mother as she is elderly and had numerous massage contra-indications to note.
My mother went in for her treatment at 14.36 and came out at 15.04
I had completed my consultation form while mother had her treatment.
I went in for my treatment at 15.07 and was out by 15.20 (total of 13 minutes treatment) by the spa clock. I was not aware of the time until I had come out and my mother said 'What are you doing out so early' the therapist was busy preparing for her next client by then.
At no point was an explanation given to us and we left feeling very disappointed especially when we were asked to pay £45.00 each on departure and our complaint made to feel irrelevant.
Not the perfect spa experience I had planned for my mother as she also felt let down.
I myself am a Complementary Therapist and would feel it very unprofessional to cut short a client's treatment time and a consultation is always additional.
Having had no response from the hotel management I felt it necessary to write this in a hope that others don't encounter similar experience's on a very special occasion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melinda B

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
lincoln
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Went as a group. The hotel was nice in pleasant surroundings and service was good. The price was way, way too expensive. Over £200 per night and those who could only stay for one of the two nights paid well over £300. When we finished our allotted wine at dinner the cheapest bottle of red was £30 extra. Particularly those who were paying over £300 were not impressed at £2.50 extra for a kipper at breakfast. At checkout they tried to charge me the full price even though I had paid Venere in full a couple of months before. Not surprisingly many of our group stayed at a nearby hotel instead which is what I would advise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sadandy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Excellent 'Manor House' style hotel in beautiful gardens.
Spa is excellent with outdoor pool, indoor whirlpool for 8 and sauna & steam room. Friendly helpful staff.
Good restaurant food but pricy. Wine good but very pricy.
Room 3 palatial and quiet.
Booked through 'Secret Escapes' which included £35 per head for 'Dinner'. Very surprised to find that this excluded drinks which were automatically charged extra. Our 'food only' bill fell below £35 per head so we lost that money - luckily not much as we had eaten heartily. Also surprised to find 10% service added to bills without prior notice.
The Spa, whilst an excellent facility, proved a disappointment. Having booked into the hotel and requesting manicure and massage were told nothing was available as they were booked up solid. So, if you want Spa services, book them before you book the hotel!

Room Tip: Room 3 if you need one large bed.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mike B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I never give 5 stars but I came very close with Homewood Park Hotel and spa. Our room(no 20) was spacious and very comfortable with a view over the swimming pol to the spa. The bathroom with its own mezzanine was enormous. We ate twice in the restaurant and the food is approaching Michelin star standard,
The spa was excellent with a very good massage, facial and pedicure. The heated pool was a delight. Oodles of towels and comfortable beds.
Service was warm and casual but efficient. We are trying to find time for another visit in the near future.

Room Tip: $Rooms in the old building are full of character.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobertS S
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had my wedding here at the end of may and just thought I would write a review to help other brides to be, we had our whole day here including the ceramony, I had a lovely day but there a few bits that did let it down.

When the groom arrived on the morning of the wedding he was annoyed that the hotel didn't seem ready, the ceremony room was not at all ready, so meant that our guests had to wait out side I turned up at 11:45 as told, ceremony was at 12 guests were all still waiting outside. But it was OK they then got sat down fairly quickley.
Everyone agreed it was a lovely venue we had 110 guests to the day for a sit down meal which was the max amount if you were using their main room. I was a bit tight but not really I problem only thing was the guests on the tables that were in the bay windows couldn't all see the head table which was a bit if a shame but they just got up and moved during the speeches.

I was really pleased with the food it tasted lovely, the portions were small but think that is what you expect with a place like this and I felt having the 3 courses was just about filled you up although some guests did complain to me that the portions were too small (Rude I know). The main thing that bothered me about the whole day was the bar, we knew there was a small bar and were worried about this before we booked the wedding but we were told there would be enough staff to serve our customers and there would be waiter service so it won't be a problem, this didn't happen everyone had to go to the bar to order their drink which meant there was a very big queue!! They ran out of ice very quickley not enough glasses just really not prepared for that many people and we had about 150 in the eve. But what annoyed me most is that I actually wouldn't have really known about the problem with the bar but the lady that was running the day pulled me away from my friends to tell me that my dad had been complaining to her just what a bride needs to hear!!!

Evening food was really good had fish and chip cones and bacon rolls and pizzas went down really well. The d.j the hotel recommended was really good too. Being able to use the spa the next day was lush, So overall a good day but just need a bigger bar for a big wedding.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Becky L
hayle, cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights, Monday 24th and Tuesday 25 the June 2014 in room 2. The weather during our stay was very sunny and warm.
We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children, one 3 and a half going on 13 and one 5 and a half months. The room was plenty big enough for us, a huge bed, a cot, and a single pop up bed for little un, and with a lovely view of the garden all a bonus.
We used the spa on our arrival, after having everything explained to us by a very welcoming front of house. The pool was lovely and warm and the steam room, sauna and bubble pool all very nice and clean.
We decided to eat on the lawn both nights we were there, we chose from the bar menu, great service, very friendly and amazing food, especially the club sandwich! We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment, but going by the food we had I'm sure it would be 5 star.
Breakfast was very nice, plenty of choice, great cooked breakfast, very well presented.
We all had a lovely stay, the staff young yet courteous, nothing too much hassle or bother, room service was fantastic too!
My only grip was the room was very hot at night, I know the weather was hot, but we still had a 10.5 tog duvet on the bed, it would be good if they could offer the choice of a summer duvet. Also, I'm not sure of the feasibility of this, but putting in air conditioning, even if a stand alone plug in unit in the room on the hotter days/guest request.
I would definitely recommend the hotel and spa, and would stay here again without question.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nathanglinski
at_homewoodpark, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review, the team are chuffed that you enjoyed your stay. The weather this year has given us a fantastic Summer so far but it does pose its own challenges.

I have asked our housekeeping manager to look into alternative duvets which we will look to implement next year, but unfortunately due to the age and listed nature of the building we cannot implement air conditioning. We have looked at single units however we feel they would detract from the natural beauty of the hotel and this, for us is to much of a negative when considering how rare it is that we have such warm weather.

I am pleased that this small negative did not have to much impact on your stay and it is great to read that you plan to join us again, we very much look forward to welcoming you back.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just got home after a wonderful overnight stay at this hotel. Booked as a last minute deal through late rooms, our stay included evening meal and breakfast. We arrived at around half three in the afternoon. The hotel was easy to find, and is signposted from the main road. Driving up, you notice how pretty the large gardens are. The car park is a short walk from the entrance, but you can drop off bags and turn easily if you need to do so (or if someone has difficulty walking|). A warm welcome, and shown up to our very pleasant room. (stairs are shallow if anyone struggles). Was sharing with a friend, so we had twin beds, in a large room with a huge bathroom attached. Elemis toiletries are provided. Wifi was free and effortless to log into.

After donning the provided thick robes (and slippers) we went down to the Spa. To start with we had the place to ourselves. Quite lovely, and spotlessly clean - there is a steam room and sauna. Also inside is a large warm hydrotherapy pool - where you can switch the powerful bubbles on as you wish. There are comfy loungers and chairs dotted around, and a selection of towels to dry off. The outside pool was warm and sheltered, and there are some sun loungers there too. I have arthritis, so did struggle with the ladder getting in and out of the pool, but floating in the sunshine made up for the effort.

The evening meal was superb. There were 5 or 6 choices for starter and main course. It was excellent, as was the service. Only gripe was the price of the wine list - the cheapest was £30. We didn't bother, and had a bottle of water. (Looked like other tables were the same, with a couple just having a glass of wine). Whatever you order, do have chips as a side to share - they were gorgeous! We were so stuffed, we didn't think we could manage a pudding. Instead we ordered a hot chocolate and brandy. This came with the largest plate of homemade petit fours I have ever seen! My goodness, they were lovely.

Slept like a log, as the bed was downy soft. Breakfast this morning was very good, with plenty of choice. A few special dishes were a little extra, but we couldn't fault what we had - and service was quick.

On checking out, we were pleasantly surprised that we hadn't "overspent" by very much at all - a very reasonable £8 each. Had been a bit frightened by others reviews. Don't worry - relax and enjoy, this hotel is special. I am looking forward to another visit.

Room Tip: We had a standard "classic" room. Assume it was a poorer location. However, so leafy all...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JanMay67
at_homewoodpark, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear JanMay67,

My thanks for your very detailed and very kind feedback. Such constructive and positive feedback is a real boost to my team and they were thrilled with your comments and they share your sentiments - the chips are fantastic!

I am sorry you did not find something you fancied on our wine list, we do list over a handful of wines under £25, however we do often receive similar comments and we believe an element of this is due to the current style and layout, to which end i am pleased to confirm the impending arrival of new wine folders that will accompany our soon to launch new wine list....

Hope to see you again soon,
Chris Baigent
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 34 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,213 reviews

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!