“Beautiful hotel but a little attention to detail required”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Cowes, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel but a little attention to detail required”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel last week. It is a stunning character property situated in beautifully maintained grounds. The spa is a real positive aspect of this hotel. It is well maintained - the pool, sauna and steam room are wonderful. We had a lovely time, however, we did feel that the hotel was definitely overpriced for the service received (many other reviewers have suggested the same) For example, you have to pay extra if you would like smoked salmon or haddock from the breakfast menu.
Based on our experience I would also highly recommend booking a table at Brasserie Blanc in Bath for dinner - fantastic value for money and a great ambiance. Only a 15 minute drive from the hotel.

Positives and negatives in brief:

+ spa towels were plentiful
+ spa & changing facilities clean and well maintained, lovely pool
+ room 12 beautifully furnished and lovely comfortable size.
+ luxurious bath robes.
+ very friendly and helpful staff
+ beautiful grounds

- no mini bar in rooms (this would be expected in a 4* hotel)
- no face cloths or tooth mugs provided in bathroom
- only 7 loungers around pool - definitely not enough for number of hotel rooms (20-22 rooms)
- breakfast very basic and top ups have to be requested rather than noticed by staff
- hotel ran out of brown bread & orange juice after 20 mins of serving breakfast - go early!
- breakfast service staff rather forgetful, they forgot our cooked order.

Overall we had a lovely stay but you may well feel cheated by the shortcomings if you have paid full price for your stay. It is a wonderful place that just needs a little more attention to detail to make it worth the cost.

1 Thank ELD22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just back from a fabulous night away at this amazing hotel. The staff are superb, the facilities wonderful, a truly magnificent break. Left feeling throughly spoilt. The spa was fantastic and the gardens truly magnificent. Thank you, looking forward to next time already.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MChamp61
Berkhamsted, Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

On arrival we were surprised to be told we were booked into a 2nd floor room, although we had no idea there were any 2nd floor rooms. As my wife can manage stairs only with difficulty we were not enthused, but the very helpful receptionist found us a room at the top of only one flight of stairs (plus a few extra steps that should have been fitted with a hand rail.)
The room itself was large, with a king size comfortable bed and with a large bathroom. A grab rail over the bath to aid the elderly easily to use the shower would have been a welcome addition.
On the whole the dinners were good albeit perhaps leaning towards nouvelle cuisine, but the limited menu was unchanged for the 3 nights we were there. As others have commented the wines are overpriced. Some house wines are available for £24, though the one we tried was not one we would ever drink again, but otherwise the one we had for £30 was excellent but could almost certainly have been bought in a supermarket for about £6-7.
For such an expensive hotel (where if you buy breakfast it costs £16) the buffet was barely adequate compared with many others we have used, and my cooked breakfast consisted of one rasher of bacon, half a medium sized mushroom and half a tomato!
We didn't use the drawing room, which looked gloomy and singularly unwelcoming, or the spa, but the grounds are large and pleasant to sit in or walk around.
With attention to detail the management could certainly effect some improvements.
Would we stay here again? Very doubtful.

1 Thank GodfreyH
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I traveled here in May 2014 with my family (husband, a toddler and an infant) and my in-laws. We booked two deluxe rooms in the original part of the hotel, both overlooking the gardens. The hotel had a very peaceful, tranquil feel yet at the same time I felt we were welcomed with our (well-behaved) children. Breakfast was in the restaurant downstairs - a very good selection and friendly service.

The rooms themselves were just what I was looking for - unique and individual. We had one room at the corner of the hotel which was very spacious - perfect for a family with two small children. We had plenty of room even with two mattresses for the children on the floor. There were windows that opened onto the gardens, with climbing roses right outside.

I did not use the spa myself, but my in-laws did and they seemed to enjoy the facilities very much. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: I would much prefer the rooms in the main house instead of the "Master Suites" which were...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Arrived on a Wednesday for a spa experience.. I recommend you book before arrival!
Our first experience of staying at Homewood Park.. first impressions were not disappointing, beautiful surrounding and well kept gardens. We had room 20..very pleased, spacious, clean and very comfortable... bathroom a delight!! Our treatment, Hot stone massage and taster facial were wonderful and relaxing. Highly recommend Florence, who was friendly and professional throughout the treatment. The spa also sported a jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and an outside heated swimming pool which was beautifully maintained.
Along with the hard working, professional and attentive maintenance manager, Eric and Lauren the pleasant receptionist, we were made to feel very welcome. We ate an evening meal and breakfast. Our only negative is there appeared to be a reluctance to replenish breakfast pastries and not very generous with the butter! I advise you arrive early for breakfast... We took a walk around the grounds which made for some beautiful photographs. We hope to return next year. We Would have put a 5 but for the breakfast experience.

Room Tip: Room 20 was lovely, over looking the pool and spa.. There are also 2 separate private rooms with a s...
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

spent two nights here and location is lovely. Atmosphere is nice and relaxing.
I know you are supposed to book spa treatments before you arrive in a place, but some of what is nice is being able to decided on this when you are actually at a place. In any event, everything was booked up for the two days that we were there, so didn't get to use the facilities.
Food quality was good, but on one of the nights, we did not have a starter and waited an hour and a half for our main course. When it came it was cold. There was an apology for the delay from the waiting staff, but no explanation.
We had a suite and it was nice and spacious. Superb bathroom. Although when I ran a bath it was about a quarter full before the water ran cold. Complimentary toiletries were not replaced on second day and box of tissues were left with the one on the top for the design, but nothing else in the box. A little skimpy at the edges which is not what you expect.

2 Thank AMWhelehan
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I feel compelled to write this review as I have received no response from the hotel manager of my disappointment.
I treated my elderly mother to a spa afternoon with tea for a special birthday treat on 2/07/14. Unfortunately I was left feeling very disappointed that my spa treatment had been cut short by 10 minutes.
We booked two 25 minute back neck and shoulder massages for mum at 14.30 and myself at 15.00. We were not advised to be ready and waiting early at all but decided to be there five minutes early at 14.25 by the Spa clock.
The therapist arrived at 14.30 and asked us to complete lenghty treatment consultation forms which took at least 6 minutes for my mother as she is elderly and had numerous massage contra-indications to note.
My mother went in for her treatment at 14.36 and came out at 15.04
I had completed my consultation form while mother had her treatment.
I went in for my treatment at 15.07 and was out by 15.20 (total of 13 minutes treatment) by the spa clock. I was not aware of the time until I had come out and my mother said 'What are you doing out so early' the therapist was busy preparing for her next client by then.
At no point was an explanation given to us and we left feeling very disappointed especially when we were asked to pay £45.00 each on departure and our complaint made to feel irrelevant.
Not the perfect spa experience I had planned for my mother as she also felt let down.
I myself am a Complementary Therapist and would feel it very unprofessional to cut short a client's treatment time and a consultation is always additional.
Having had no response from the hotel management I felt it necessary to write this in a hope that others don't encounter similar experience's on a very special occasion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
#12 of 35 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,322 reviews
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!