“Good but could do better”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Preston, UK
“Good but could do better”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have grudgingly given this hotel a 4 star rating but I'm not sure it is wholly merited - 3 and a half would be be nearer the mark, for reasons which shall become apparent in my review. The hotel is a lovely building set in spacious grounds that at first glance are impressive but on closer inspection are in need of judicious pruning and weeding - just enough has been done to keep them tidy but it's all top show - look more closely and you can see that more work is required. The same applies to the dining experience: a well-appointed dining room with an appetising-sounding menu but when the food arrives the portions are small and over-priced. The addition of a table d'hote menu would be welcome. At breakfast the bacon was overcooked and hard, the scrambled eggs pale and not creamy enough, and the coffee was just plain dreadful (stewed and bitter). However, we had no complaints about the room, which was spacious and well furnished with a comfortable (huge) bed, although we did notice that some of the furniture was a bit 'knocked about' and worse for wear. My husband went down to the spa just after 8 am for a swim but the pool was closed and there was no sign of any members of staff. Although we thought the hotel itself was very attractive we did feel that it could do better, especially given the price it is charging, for which one would expect everything to be tip-top perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janis T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I travelled from London after hearing great things about Homewood Park through word of mouth. We stayed for one night and had dinner in the restaurent. The service was fantastic and the food was even better. I would highly recommend staying here!!!

Our room was clean and tidy and the beds were very comfortable indeed!

Overall our experience at Homewood Park was lovely! We had a great time! Highly recommendable!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank WillBredge
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I found the details of Homewood Park on the Bath Spa website as I was looking to combine a visit with a treat for my mum. From when I phoned to book until we left the whole experience was great and I was made to feel like a valued customer (something so many struggle with).
After seeing the facilities and spa at the hotel we didn't bother with Bath Spa (TA reviews put me off!). It was lovely to relax around the hotel and leisurely make use their spa with no queues or timeslots. We both had treatments and they were fantastic!

The room was cosy and in keeping with the main house although there is the potential to make it more quirky, but I guess that is not everybody's cup of tea. I usually find it hard to sleep in hotels but so slept like a baby.

Staff really are the asset at this hotel though. I don't usually write reviews but I was so impressed I felt I should. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and look after us. The restaurant staff were fantastic and we really enjoyed dinner at the hotel because of the whole experience they provided.

The food was good for a small hotel and perfect portions for my mum and I. I suspect if my husband had been though he would have been
hungry still.

Overall we had a great stay and will definitely be going back!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Ellebelle85
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Recently,I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon tea with my daughter. The setting is beautiful, we were able to look out over the lovely gardens from our table by the window. The service was both friendly and helpful. The cakes looked attractive and tasted delicious. All in all this was a relaxing way to celebrate my daughter successfully gaining a place at the university. I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine M
Dublin
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed at Homewood Park on Aug 7th and 8th with my husband and son. We were not very impressed with this hotel. The deluxe room that we booked was meant to be big enough to sleep two adults and two children but when we arrived, there was no bed for my son and they just about managed to squeeze in a cot bed, complete with sulky faces! The service in general was very poor. Most staff passed us in the corridors without as much as an "hello"! The service at breakfast was at once frantic and really slow! The man serving us on both mornings was constantly rushing but accomplishing little. It made for a very uncomfortable dining experience!
On the final morning we asked for a late check out only to be told it would cost £50 for an extra hour! I thought this was ridiculously expensive. I've travelled the world staying in 4 star hotels and I have never been charged for late check out - hotels usually either let one have a late check out if they don't need the room ASAP or they just apologise for not being able to accommodate. Homewood Park just blatantly money grab with this policy. This client unfriendly policy alone is enough to ensure we will never return here.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Larakate1
Carmarthenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is my first review on trip advisor, I'm not normally a one to complain but i believe this time its necessary! Me and my partner have stayed at the Homewood hotel 7 or 8 times over the last 3 years, and i can honestly say how much this hotel has gone down hill. Back in February when we visited, the stay wasn't great, didn't find much of the staff helpful or friendly, 3-4 times a year we visit, and never do we see the same staff, either its that bad of place to work or their bad attitude has got them the sack. However, back in February as we checked out, my partner paid for what we had ordered for room service the previous night etc, days later his card got declined in shops, only to realise that Homewood had taken the payment out 4 times that week, this was over £2,500. When we realised this, we immediately phoned up his bank and also phoned Homewood, to ask what was happening and why. We got through to a very unhelpful member of staff, that told us to phone back the next day, and to send everything in an email to her, this was not what you wanted to hear when you have just realised you paid £2,500 for room service. The problem eventually got sorted, via the bank, a letter was sent to Homewood from us to complain, and to express our disappointment and all we had was a phone call to apologise.
As we like Homewood, and have stayed there numerous of times we decided to give it another go this weekend 9.8.14 but what a mistake that was. After checking in with yet another new member of staff we got told strictly that we must be out the next morning as they had a wedding, and breakfast times have now changed (as they wanted to get rid of us) after checking in we then visited a spa,after passing the lady behind reception of the spa, which didnt acknowledge us at all!! but after realising we where going to the spa, we soon got shouted back in the corridor to come back to sign in. After visiting the spa we then went out for the evening in the town centre, when we arrived back at Homewood, we decided to have a quiet drink in the room opposite reception (only us in there) we waited 20 minutes for our drink, and wasn't acknowledged again. We overheard A few guests that had come down complaining about not being able to get hold of anyone over the phone from they're room service. We then headed back to our room, whilst passing the receptionist she put her head down again didn't even bother to say anything to us. As we got back to the room, we decided to have a small treat, as we phoned down reception for a dessert list the lady quite rudely asked if there was anything else we needed to know so we dont ring again, then she told us to save on the tray charge and if we could come down to get it, ourselves baring in mind our room was number 7, room next to the reception. My partner had to get dressed and waited for her to phone the room to let us know when to come down. Last but not least we had our rushed breakfast the next morning, after ordering our cooked breakfast we waited 30 minutes for it to arrive we then wanted more tea and toast to go with it, 45 minutes had gone by, we had obviously finished our hot breakfast, a member of the staff only then decides to tell us that there is a problem with the toaster. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, and waited an extra 10 minutes everyone else seemed to be having they're toast but us. I had enough at this point, and walked out. By this time it was ready for checkout, we had wasted so much time at breakfast we had no time to use the spa, but then again it was made clear to us the day we arrived we had to leave as soon as possible. I think i have defiantly made my mind up about this place now. SHAME!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Carys D
at_homewoodpark, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Carys D,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your detailed review. Whilst it is a shame you did not give the opportunity to us to respond by contacting us directly i can fully understand your choice giving your previous bad experience. That being said, your review does go to highlight one of the challenges we face with Tripadvisor, in particular that you have chosen to not review in the past when you have had (many) positive experiences and only, as you admit 'to complain'.

There have been some clear failings during your stay, to which these will most definitely be addressed, although some areas you comment are a little mis-leading. An example is the change in breakfast times, to which you have implied was an indication that we wanted to 'get rid' of you however our breakfast times have actually changed to a later time to allow a more leisurely breakfast not an earlier time which your review implies. The change was highlighted to you, as you have stayed with us before. I am sorry the Spa receptionist did not stand up when you passed, Lily has been with us for nearly 7 years and has proven an extremely valuable member of the Spa team, along with several other very long standing members of the team. As part of her role she assists reception in taking bookings, and answering the telephone and as such she is often busy with work behind the desk but is situated in a 'front of house' location to ensure she is on hand when guests require assistance. I have spoken to Lily about your feedback to ensure we improve this moving forward.

Again i apologies if the reception team was not understood - asking if you would require anything else was questioned to offer you the opportunity and the staff member was trying to help, further highlighted by the indication that there is a tray charge as standard and noting to you that your room is very close to reception that you may wish to save on this standard charge. I have asked my reception manager to revisit this area and consider if should make such gestures of good will moving forward.

I have asked for my breakfast team to revisit there training as i can read from your comments that there were some clear failings on this morning, and i am sorry that this impacted on your leisurely departure from our hotel.

Please do feel welcome to contact me directly to discuss your feedback,
Chris Baigent
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Had a most enjoyable time at homewood house and would recomend a visit
found the hotel easily and there is ample parkng fairly near the hotel but turning a large car round in front of the hotel is hard work if any other cars are parked there
arrived at busy time ( 3 other groups of people checking in ) but found a comfy chair to wait in, and were checked in promptlyy and efficiently
The Garden suite is a large modern development with a good sized bedroom a huge bed seating area and patio doors onto into the garden( unfortunately not a private garden )
the room is well decorated although some areas( Only 1 or2 ) are beginnng to look a little worn
......maybe it is what they call shabby chic ???????
no mini bar
or biscuits with the tea / coffee :(
A lovely looking bathroom with Roll top bath (uncomfortable though) and a fantastic double size wet area
close to the spa area with a fantastic outdoor pool( great for us as the weather was hot and sunny) , sauna, tub etc top qualityrobes towels toiletries etc
evening meal in the restaurant was ok portion size average but you pay extra for veg service was ok atmosphere was ok great selection of wines
breakfast was great staff most obliging good choice of food not rushed
beautiful grounds which take a lot of looking after !!

this hotel has immense potential
We ill certainly be returning when we visit bath again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#12 of 35 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,337 reviews
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!