“Nice hotel with great breakfast.”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel with great breakfast.”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed one night in August and had lovely room at rear overlooking rolling countryside. Very quiet and had great sleep although think it may be noisier on road facing side of hotel. Breakfasts were lovely and plenty of choice. Didn't have chance to use spa so cannot comment. Outdoor pool which is apparently heated. Staff were very attentive. Grounds are very pleasant for evening stroll. On the downside the room was lovely but the older bits of furniture (not antique) need a bit of attention. The car park although substantial enough needs it's potholes filled in as in places these could damage your car. Overall though we would recommend this hotel for a short stay. We stayed using a third party special offer web site. Our price was 'reasonable' but having seen some of the prices quoted it could be overpriced compared with more upmarket spa breaks closer to London.

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces the rear of the hotel to be sure of a quiet night. First floor gets the good...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I was given a present of afternoon tea at the Hotel. We received a very friendly welcome and shown into the drawing room. The service was excellent and friendly. There was a large selection of teas to choose from. The actual afternoon tea was presented beautifully. Everything was delicious but too much to eat. The tea was very tasty - real tea! When the tea was cleared away the lovely waitress said she would pack up what was left for us to take away. Nothing was too much trouble and it was a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I bought my mum and her friends (all in their 70's and 80's and quite fussy) for afternoon tea.
The surroundings and setting was amazing, staff were welcoming, helpful, attentive and eager to please, one very friendly front of staff men even helped my group into their car and escorted us through car park.
The afternoon tea was delicious and so plentiful we felt bad at not being able to eat all the cakes and the scones were the best I have ever eaten.
My only small criticism if any and this is mainly just a personal one is that on the cake selection which is extremely plentiful it would of been nice to have maybe a slice of carrot cake or fruit cake.
But all in all I would thoroughly recommend Homewood park for their splendid afternoon tea.

• Stayed August 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My partner and I spent one night at Homewood Park and it was absolutely brilliant. The room was lovely and the view was spectacular. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff were absolutely lovely from the moment we arrived until the moment we left and we were made to feel very welcome. We had the tasting menu and wine flight for our evening meal and the food and wine was very well matched and high quality. We were looking for escape and indulgence and that's definitely what we got. The atmosphere was spot on - classy but relaxed. The spa facilities and therapists were fantastic, very clean and with a luxurious feel. The room and facilities were well stocked with robes, slippers and towels, however, if you are curvy or tall you might like to bring your own robe if self-conscious about fit. We had a wonderful time and wouldn't hesitate to stay again the next time we need to be pampered!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abi S
Preston, UK
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have grudgingly given this hotel a 4 star rating but I'm not sure it is wholly merited - 3 and a half would be be nearer the mark, for reasons which shall become apparent in my review. The hotel is a lovely building set in spacious grounds that at first glance are impressive but on closer inspection are in need of judicious pruning and weeding - just enough has been done to keep them tidy but it's all top show - look more closely and you can see that more work is required. The same applies to the dining experience: a well-appointed dining room with an appetising-sounding menu but when the food arrives the portions are small and over-priced. The addition of a table d'hote menu would be welcome. At breakfast the bacon was overcooked and hard, the scrambled eggs pale and not creamy enough, and the coffee was just plain dreadful (stewed and bitter). However, we had no complaints about the room, which was spacious and well furnished with a comfortable (huge) bed, although we did notice that some of the furniture was a bit 'knocked about' and worse for wear. My husband went down to the spa just after 8 am for a swim but the pool was closed and there was no sign of any members of staff. Although we thought the hotel itself was very attractive we did feel that it could do better, especially given the price it is charging, for which one would expect everything to be tip-top perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janis T
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I travelled from London after hearing great things about Homewood Park through word of mouth. We stayed for one night and had dinner in the restaurent. The service was fantastic and the food was even better. I would highly recommend staying here!!!

Our room was clean and tidy and the beds were very comfortable indeed!

Overall our experience at Homewood Park was lovely! We had a great time! Highly recommendable!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank WillBredge
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I found the details of Homewood Park on the Bath Spa website as I was looking to combine a visit with a treat for my mum. From when I phoned to book until we left the whole experience was great and I was made to feel like a valued customer (something so many struggle with).
After seeing the facilities and spa at the hotel we didn't bother with Bath Spa (TA reviews put me off!). It was lovely to relax around the hotel and leisurely make use their spa with no queues or timeslots. We both had treatments and they were fantastic!

The room was cosy and in keeping with the main house although there is the potential to make it more quirky, but I guess that is not everybody's cup of tea. I usually find it hard to sleep in hotels but so slept like a baby.

Staff really are the asset at this hotel though. I don't usually write reviews but I was so impressed I felt I should. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and look after us. The restaurant staff were fantastic and we really enjoyed dinner at the hotel because of the whole experience they provided.

The food was good for a small hotel and perfect portions for my mum and I. I suspect if my husband had been though he would have been
hungry still.

Overall we had a great stay and will definitely be going back!

• Stayed July 2014
#12 of 35 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,336 reviews
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!