“Very pleasant experience.”
Review of Solway Lodge Hotel

Solway Lodge Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Gretna
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We used this Hotel for a stop over when travelling to deepest Scotland. We gathered from the website that the hotel was used for weddings and were a little worried that this may impact on our stay. However on the night we stayed it appeared to be free of any groups.
We did not arrive at the hotel until after 2330hrs and were met by a lovely lady who sorted out our room and also kept the bar open long enough for us to sate our thirst.
When we booked I thought we were booking a twin room ( the only room left) but on arrival found we had a double room, this was excellent news for us but may have caused a problem for someone else.
The room was in the main hotel and was very nice indeed.
One thing that others may need to note is that the room (18) is above the kitchen and there is noise from the extract fan, we however needed to be up early and the said fan was a useful alarm clock.
Breakfast was very nicely presented , with plenty of choice and delivered by cheerful staff.
Overall our stay was a very pleasant experience. We will now be using this hotel whenever we travel to Scotland in future.

Room Tip: Room 18 is above the kitchen extract fan. This is not a problem if you are getting up early.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed for two nights as a central place for meeting up with family. At first we were not sure as we were in one of the chalet style rooms at the back of the Hotel. However once we were inside the room was both very clean and cosy. It was actually ideal as we have a dog and we were able to go in and out without a hassle. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate in the second night and the food was really good, served hot and without fuss. Value for money it really could not be beat. We have paid more for less!!!

Room Tip: The chalet style rooms are good for people travelling with pets
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here as a family and with our dog the room was very nice although a little small but good enough for the one night we stayed.

The beds were a little hard for me so I didn't get much sleep but some people like a firm matress.

We had a walk out to the gretna greenways village and we drove out into carlisle for tea.

The breakfast was really nice and the staff are really friendly. I would reccomend this hotel to people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Visited Solway Lodge on sunday for lunch with my 2 sons & thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The man who owns the place was on the bar & has just the right attitude for serving the public & our waitress was a lovely young girl with blonde hair (sorry didn't get your name) who was so pleasant & efficient. Food was very tastey, well presented & nice & hot. All in all a truely wonderfull place to go.

Room Tip: We did not stay (food only)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Time room 19 was up graded .A very small twin room as only the one room available at time of booking.Tv is terrible ,the small price of Tvs today would bring this accommodation up to what people see as basic fitting in a hotel room. Pleased we only stayed one night.Staff very friendly very good breakfast.

Room Tip: Do not have room 19
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Booked at short notice and stayed two nights. Every member of staff we dealt with was extremely friendly and very helpful. Nicely decorated room and food in the restaurant was lovely. A couple of wee things stop me from giving 5 stars, namely mattress on bed needs to be replaced, bathroom fitments loose but still a very enjoyable stay and I would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We booked out 12 rooms for our family and friends to stay here during our wedding, we did not have our reception here but I would have been very happy to. The rooms were incredibly clean and to a lovely standard. I have some fussy people in my family but they all loved their rooms. Even when the lounge bar was not 'officially open' they still served us drinks. They went above and beyond and I'm so happy with my choice of hotel. I must admit I did have my reservations when I booked because the prices were so reasonable, but I didn't need to. I didn't tell my family how much I paid and I'm sure they would have thought I paid a lot more than I did. All the staff were incredible and I didn't have one bad thing to say about any member of staff and I think that's a rarity in a whole hotel. Thank you so much solway lodge.

Room Tip: I have no tips to share about getting a good room because out of the 12 I saw they were all just as...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Hunters Lodge Hotel
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Gretna Hall
Gretna Hall
#2 of 4 in Gretna Green

Been to Solway Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!