“Will not be back, food & toilets where awful.”
Review of The Gretna Inn

The Gretna Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gretna
The Gretna Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Gretna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stopped off on the way home from a lovely trip in Scotland, we where told it was under new management so thought we would give the place a second chance but nothing had changed much & we where very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helen S

Reviewed 10 August 2011

This pub seems to be under new management, now called the Gretna Inn, my fiance and I stopped in here for a few drinks and a meal, we were pleased with the service we received although one of the girls behind the bar, had a face like a slapped behind, but the rest of them seemed lovely. We sat inside the lounge and i thought it was a lovely atmosphere, we were asked throughout our meal if everything was okay, and it was delicious, i would stop here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jess j
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This place is absolutely disgusting!!! We didn't bother to check the rooms as the bar was so unbelievably bad so my review is for the bar only and the rooms could be nice - but whatever you do don't eat the food!!!

We saw this place from the outside and it is gorgeous so we popped in for some lunch at 11.45. Fair enough the kitchen didn't open until 12 but the girl behind the bar was so blunt and rude, she just said she couldn't give us food, didn't ask us to take a seat and menu and offer a drink like any other place would have.

The bar smelled smokey which is something I haven't noticed in years since the smoking ban (and there were no obvious open fires so it wasn't that.) The ladies toilets absolutely stank of pee, and we were the 1st customers of the day but our table was sticky and had crumbs all over it.

When we ordered drinks my tea came with little plastic jugs of milk not even real milk and when I finished I was disgusted to find biscuit crumbs and God knows what at the bottom of my cup. My glass of water also came in a filthy glass.

The 1st three dishes we ordered were unavailable (and I heard her tell a man at the bar that at least one of the beers he ordered hadn't yet been delivered.) So I settled for a cheese and ham sandwich. I think the ham came out a tin, I can't be certain but it was not like anything I've ever eaten before it certainly wasn't "real" ham. The cheese was grated and the (plain white bread) roughly cut into 1/4's and literally looked like it had been thrown on the plate - there was defiantely more cheese on the plate than in the sandwich.

But the absolute best bit was the long black hair that had been lovingly placed underneath my sandwich so I found it when I was almost done. I got up and left at that point. I didn't complain because it was quite obvious the girl behind the bar could not care less.

If we'd complained or done something I'd have thought the way we were treated was personal and deliberate, it is incredible that anywhere can be that bad - but we'd just arrived in the village and popped into the 1st place we saw.

Also I spent the whole of the next day throwing-up, I was suffering morning sickness throughout my holiday so it might not have been from the hygiene there however that was the only time I was actually really properly ill for a full 24 hours so I suspect it was more than just morning sickness. Indeed I ended up spending the whole of the next day in bed when I wasn't running to the loo to be sick!

This place needs a visit from Health and Safety and the girl behind the bar needs to find herself a job she enjoys.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cathyFrennison
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This is a review on the Restaurant & food

As we were stopping in Gretna elsewhere for a two night break we decided that on the evening we go to this pub for a nice evening bar meal On arrival I asked the bar man(Mr Stress – we nicked named him this because everything was a stress) if we needed to book although the restaurant wasn’t busy “AT All” he said there was a big wedding party coming in and that we’d be ok for tomorrow(Saturday) fair enough I thought so we got drinks and sat outside for about 1 hour ! we didn’t see any wedding party come..! On the Saturday we returned the place was dead but there was a sign saying no children in the bar after 9pm I challenged this as my kids are the type to run about and the place was dead .Mr stress the barman wouldn’t budge on this when I asked him. Yet there wasn’t an area for the kids to play safely as the pub is on a main road with open frontage . So 1st thing pub is family friendly, 2nly when the food came it was of a poor quality the three adults in my party had surf and turf and steak to be done rare omg the scampi was passable but the steak was black and nuked and the size of a postage stamp how the hell was that supposed to be 8oz I would say more like 8 Millograms, the food was below average I feel we had better food in the welcome break service station . And got too agree the toilets “STANK”

Although the rest of the pub is nicely decorated(don’t know about the rooms), I would say If you want a nice evening meal or you want your wedding dinner there I’d look around 1st there’s nicer places I hear in Gretna

PS Don’t give the barman too many things to order for his own health because he will stress and blow up one day

Shower rating (N/A)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Deb_Steve66
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stopped at the Crossways Inn for what would have been a couple of drinks...First thing I noticed was the can of coke I bought for my son was part of a MULTIPACK ok a rip off but can deal with that. What I couldnt deal with was after having a drink I needed to use the toilet..I can safely say they were the dirtiest toilets I have even been in, beyond description was the level of filth, and why there was a bottle of dishwashing Liquid (NO THERE WASNT ANY SOAP)on the handbasin I cant imagine..I cannot believe that anyone cou;ld eat here after seeing the filth, after all if this is the level of hygiene they put on public display what like are the kitchens? Needless to say I refused my husbands offer of a second drink!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank cat114
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Our daughter's Wedding Day meal was a nightmare. Drinks on arrival, didn’t. Mother of the Bride cleared tables. Complained to the owner he said £20.00 off or you pay the full price! Saw waitress buy soup at garage down the road! Waitresses lovely!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BURLEY1963
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Stopped in for food on a trip from Blackpool to Edinburgh. Looked very presentable from the outside and went in to order food. My wife and Mother in Law ordered the roast beat and I ordered the fish. The fish portion was the size of a kids meal and the beaf was deff not beaf and was served cold. When I complained they were just not interested.

• Stayed: October 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Solway Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna
Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to The Gretna Inn? Share your experiences!