“Meal out”
Review of The Gretna Inn

The Gretna Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gretna
The Gretna Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Gretna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 December 2012

My mum, my son John and I went here for an evening meal whilst staying in a B&B in gretna Green for my daughter Karen's wedding.
The service was good.
The food was tasty and nicely presented.
The staff were helpful.
Ample parking at pub.
Would go again.
As in several other reviews I am unable to select the sort of trip it was as Trip Advisor does not offer the right choice - family with adult children - so had to select it as a solo trip!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Marilyn P
There are newer reviews for The Gretna Inn

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stopped here for a meal,nice pub and decore,but the food was poor,i had roast beef and yorkshire pudding which i think all came from packets,the only fresh veg were the carrots and could'nt eat the roast beef,it tasted off to me,would'nt eat here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank winger34
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We went to the old Crossways Inn(Now Gretna Inn)

We have stayed here most years since 1999. On many occasions twice in a year.
The car park was full, took 10 mins to get a spot, but when we got inside the bar was not full, where had all these people gone?
Purchased two drinks and asked if any rooms were available, after some time we were informed no vacancy. The young woman said she would phone Solway Lodge, at least she was helpful, but no room there.
During our short time there, people walked in and turned round and left. One gentleman who had three others with him was at the bar with me and just looked at me shook his head and left with his party.

We considered having lunch, but to be quite honest the inn has lost something, all staff bar the young one who phoned Solway Lodge seemed to have no interest in attending to customers. We came to the conclusion that one table of young ladies had most of their attention and were probably friends.

Having stayed every year (bar one) since 1999, we left feeling it was for the best that we could not be accommodated. We may try again in the future, but we will see, it was not typical of what we have experienced in the past, but on this visit we will hope it improves.

When we left the car park was still full, the bar was not.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mike200054
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Wife and I stopped at the Gretna Inn tonight, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, just to get something to eat after travelling home from England. Staff were very pleasant, and the menu was the normal pub grub variety with a specials board on the wall too.
Food arrived fairly quickly, well presented and a decent sized plateful.
Had hoped to book in as we still had a two hour drive ahead of us, but the inn and lodge were fully booked, so cannot speak about the accomodation.
We enjoyed our meal in pleasant surroundings, and it was fair value for cash.
Would definitely call at this pub again, no complaints.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband i and friends stayed here on friday the 17 /2 /2012 ,to go to my mates wedding on checking in every thing was ok .
Then we went to meet are friends to have a drink great night in the sloway lodge made very welcome ,then we went back to the gretna inn a disco was on we bought drinks sat down then i got up and asked dj to play a song then it all went bad i danced to simply the best and then we were abused by the locals, i did no know that song would cause so much trouble and know one told me, if dj would of said we can not play that song because of rivals i would of said sorry and ok .
But instead he put it on and my self and friends got screamed at and one of my friends got attacked the manager Ian said your own fault for playing that song you scousers and the cctv footage was not working when we asked when police were called.
I have been going to scottland for many years to whatch the rugby six nations and loved it there never new any thing about diffrent songs you can play or can not play,i would never go again dont feel safe know more and for the gretna inn well friends i would not stay there or recomend it to any one rooms very basic food not very nice had to keep on asking for a drink of juice all in all a night mare from hell .Also scousers not welcome at all they made that clear from day one .

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank foxey617
williemacleish, Manager at The Gretna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

this review i fell really has to be responded to,the wedding that this couple had attended was in the solway lodge but they were staying at the gretna inn.When they departed the solway it was a case of being quite intoxicated and were informed that there was a private birthday party ongoing within the gretna inn, they asked if it would be possible to get a nightcap in the inn to take to bed which was no problem. unknown to me they had gone down to the inn , and straight away waltzed through the birthday party , up to the dj and insisted that a song should be played for them , and what a coincidence that it was the aforementioned tune.I arrived just after this and no one had been attacked just a few harsh words , more so due to unknown people in reality gatecrashing a local birthday party to which they obviously had not been invited! Also in response to myself calling the gusts scousers etc i can assure them this would never happen and did not happen as they had retired before i arrived . all in all a pefectly good night which had been enjoyed by all was ruined by the actions of a few people who had just had one too many who decided to wander into a party where they should not have been and the result is a totally unjust and untrue review posted . Why!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

we arrived at the Solway lodge to be greeted by Ian, he showed us to our rooms, which were very nicely decorated, that evening we (party of 8) english & scottish went to the Gretna Inn for an evening meal which we all enjoyed very much, we then headed back to the Solway for a nightcap, our wedding the following day was superb, the reception at the Solway was 1st class, we cant thank Ian & Karen enough, our guests are still very complimentary about the food at the reception, we would highly recommend both the Gretna Inn and the Solway Lodge, we hope to return for another visit very soon, once again thanks Ian (manager) we couldnt have done it without you. Joan n Kev

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We have visited this pub now on four or five occasions. First time a couple of years ago when looking for wedding locations when it was then called the Crossways I think. We then visited again the night before our wedding, where our entire wedding party of friends and family seemed to take it over and we all had a great time and met some very friendly people. There is always a nice mix of other wedding parties and locals and the prices of drinks are very reasonable compared to hotel bar prices and my husband always comments on the nice pint he gets. We have since been back twice and after seeing the reviews on tripadvisor I decided I had to give my positive review. It is a traditional bar area, very clean and comfortable and the bar meals are excellent value for money. We took our children who were welcome in the bar and it was safe for them to play outside. The new manager Ian is very friendly and has lots of local knowledge and will help you with anything you want to know. I have worked in the pub trade myself over the years and worked in some very unwelcoming/unsafe bars and I have to say this bar is really friendly and comfortable. It is very handy for everything in Gretna, the shopping outlet is literally across the road, petrol station, not far up the road takes you into the centre for the registery office and other wedding venues and shops. Perfect location if you are getting married. We have a lot of fond memories and it was massively down to the friendliness of the people in the Gretna Inn, the Solway hotel and the local community that made our decision to get married in Gretna an easy one. Please dont let the negative reviews put you off going, its a great place and people have to remember they are in Gretna not a 5star US hotel! We travel to Gretna as often as we can and look forward to seeing you all again soon - best of luck to Ian and the staff with your new venture!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MissusThomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
Days Inn Gretna Green M74
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green

Been to The Gretna Inn? Share your experiences!