“very disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gretna
helga26
“very disappointing”
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I stayed in this hotel 5 years ago when i got married in 2003, my wedding was fanastic and i would recommend getting married in gretna green as it is a beautiful place and the best day of my life. The Gables Hotel however did not live up to my expectations. On the run up to my wedding the staff were very helpful and i could not fault them. We arrived at the hotel the day before the wedding as we had travelled from northern ireland and there were 14 guests in our party , at that time there was the new part of the hotel and the old part which was not featured on their website. The new part including the bridal suite was nice but smelt abit damp the old part which some of my guests stayed in was horrid, there were staines on the carpet , dead flies in the lampshades and in the family room one of the tv's was broken. At this time we didn't let it annoy us as we were so excited about my wedding the next day. The day of the wedding was great however we were not told when i booked the reception that we could only stay in room were we had our reception for a limited time as they were going to squeeze another reception into that room after mine was over. Thank goodness the weather was fanastic so we all sat outside on the tables and didn't let it spoil the day. The worst part about this hotel was when i got home and discovered £110 had been taken out of my account by the hotel just days before i was due to go on my honeymoon. I rang the hotel immediately to be told that they had taken the money due to a broken tv set in the family room and staines on the carpet which they were blaming my guests for. I was livid firstly because although i booked the rooms with my card they had not consulted me before taking the money off my card and secondly as i explained to the owner there were 2 tv's in that family suite 1 was broken when we arrived so we swapped them around so my little sister could watch it in the room she was staying in and also my bridesmaid and my friend did put fake tan on the night before the wedding which was why there were staines on the sheets which did wash off but the staines on the carpets were already there. Eventually i did get some of the money back from the hotel for the tv repair however i lost the money for the cleaning of the carpet, it was a pity the cleaners who check the rooms missed the dead flies in the lampshades !!!!!!!! I will never stay in this hotel again and i would warn anybody going if anything is out of order complain because if you dont you may come home to discover you have been charged for something you didn't even do .

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — attitude of owner
  • Stayed August 2003, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank helga26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
lancs
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We got married on 14th July 2008 and had our reception at the Gables. Reception room and food good. Our day was spoiled by the fire alarm sounding approx every 20-30 mins throughout the day including during our wedding meal and during the best mans speech with the staff each time disrupting our wedding and asking our guests to assemble outside.
We paid for 40 guests in advance and unfortunatly only 38 could attend. due to this the gables charged an extra £150 to my credit card without my authority. (the absent guests had already been paid for in advance!) To date I have had no reply or refund from the hotel despite writing to them expressing my views.
On the plus side the Ailsa suite was great although unberably hot throughout our stay and despite staying 2 nights in this suite the room was not cleaned during our stay.
Also during our reception the bar had no draught lagers as they had run out the day before!

• Liked — the ailsa suite
  • Disliked — where do you want me to start!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank smithers12345
Ebbw Vale
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We booked the hotel through one stop weddings. The hotel was fabulous - they made our day so special nothing was too much trouble. i would reccommend this hotel to anyone. The rooms were outstandingly clean, the staff went above and beyond to help not only ourselves but our guests too.
The food and drink was fabulous!!!!
We are definately going back for our first year anniversary!!!

• Liked — so clean and lovely
  • Disliked — some rooms could have been slightly bigger
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LouJu
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Overall this is a very nice hotel. Staff are great. Food is wonderful. Rooms are overpriced for what they are but then it is very close to Gretna Green.
The main reason we felt compelled to write this review is because we want to warn people who are planning on heading off to bed before midnight that there are plenty of rooms that will be affected by loud music noise from the function rooms. If, as in our case, the hotel is full you will just have to put up with objects moving around the room due to the bass. Supposedly it's mentioned in the small print of your booking confirmation so double check especially if you have young children like us.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Loud Music
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank SaintsRock
Flers, France
Reviewed 7 December 2007

We decided to get married in Gretna Green after hours of research on-line. We are British but live in France most of the time, Gretna appeared to be a perfect solution for our marriage. Straightforward and simple. I used Trip advisor a lot to help me choose a hotel, as in France and unable to visit the hotels and make a decision. We decided to get married on a Monday as we felt it would be less like a conveyor belt, and we were right.
We were very specific with our requirements as we had small group (14) and wanted it to be very special. The Gables was a great choice. Our room (one of the bridal suites) was very well furnished wih four poster bed and ensuite bathroom complete with a seperate shower and jacuzzi bath. There was no view to talk of (other than a campsite and the motorway in the distance)but we weren't there for the view! Our guests rooms were clean and spacious. The only problem we had with the rooms was that they were too hot, and we were unable to control the temperature. We had to open our window and then we had the noise from the motorway in the distance. The food in the bar the day prior to our wedding day was ok. Our meal after the wedding was amazing. It was a fantastic sunny day, we had drinks and nibbles in the garden, then they took our orders for our a la carte meal. The meal was excellent , and way above our expectations. The staff were very polite and helpful, it was a little worrying that the wedding co-ordinator had her day off the day of the wedding. We did have to repeat requests to the stand in due to poor note taking/communications. But the day ran smoothly and overall it was a fantastic day to remember. We would highly recommend the Gables to any future wedding parties.

• Liked — The meal after our Wedding
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coops01
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2007

We got married on the 15th Aug 2007 and stayed at the Gables for 2 nights. Everything about the stay and the wedding reception was fantastic. The staff could not be more helpful, and very polite. We could not fault the food. All in all it was the most perfect day, made possible by the help of all of the staff.
Although the rooms ar smaller than i expected they are spotlessly clean, and more that adequate. The bathroom is very spacious with very nice fittings.
We have planned our next stay for our first anniversary.

• Liked — Everytjing
  • Disliked — nothing, it was perfect
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank big_dave_n_loobs
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2007

I stayed here on a business trip in Sept 2007. This is a very pleasant hotel, with very friendly and attentive staff.

The breakfast was lovely too – lots of variety and choice of cereals, breads, juice, fresh fruit etc. The rooms were comfortable and more than adequate without being luxurious.

The only thing I didn’t like was the walk from the reception area to the bedroom block I was in: something of a maze, and I admit I got lost! Still, this is something you have to expect in a hotel which has had numerous additions / extensions over the years.

Despite this, I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. Overall very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank HongKongFace
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to The Gables Hotel? Share your experiences!