I stayed in this hotel 5 years ago when i got married in 2003, my wedding was fanastic and i would recommend getting married in gretna green as it is a beautiful place and the best day of my life. The Gables Hotel however did not live up to my expectations. On the run up to my wedding the staff were very helpful and i could not fault them. We arrived at the hotel the day before the wedding as we had travelled from northern ireland and there were 14 guests in our party , at that time there was the new part of the hotel and the old part which was not featured on their website. The new part including the bridal suite was nice but smelt abit damp the old part which some of my guests stayed in was horrid, there were staines on the carpet , dead flies in the lampshades and in the family room one of the tv's was broken. At this time we didn't let it annoy us as we were so excited about my wedding the next day. The day of the wedding was great however we were not told when i booked the reception that we could only stay in room were we had our reception for a limited time as they were going to squeeze another reception into that room after mine was over. Thank goodness the weather was fanastic so we all sat outside on the tables and didn't let it spoil the day. The worst part about this hotel was when i got home and discovered £110 had been taken out of my account by the hotel just days before i was due to go on my honeymoon. I rang the hotel immediately to be told that they had taken the money due to a broken tv set in the family room and staines on the carpet which they were blaming my guests for. I was livid firstly because although i booked the rooms with my card they had not consulted me before taking the money off my card and secondly as i explained to the owner there were 2 tv's in that family suite 1 was broken when we arrived so we swapped them around so my little sister could watch it in the room she was staying in and also my bridesmaid and my friend did put fake tan on the night before the wedding which was why there were staines on the sheets which did wash off but the staines on the carpets were already there. Eventually i did get some of the money back from the hotel for the tv repair however i lost the money for the cleaning of the carpet, it was a pity the cleaners who check the rooms missed the dead flies in the lampshades !!!!!!!! I will never stay in this hotel again and i would warn anybody going if anything is out of order complain because if you dont you may come home to discover you have been charged for something you didn't even do .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Gables is an independent, family owned hotel in the heart of Gretna. This beautiful, grade-II listed Property is steeped in history and has become one of the leading wedding venue hotels in Gretna.From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, you are assured of a warm, friendly atmosphere where nothing is too much trouble.The Hotels restaurant has earned a reputation for fine, traditional Scottish food, offering the ideal setting to enjoy a relaxing meal with friends and family, boasting a full & varied A La Carte menu complemented by a carefully selected wine list. For those who prefer a less formal setting, our cosy lounge bar offers delicious home cooked bar meals including many traditional favourites. Offering Free Wi-Fi and ample free onsite parking, The Gables Hotel is conveniently situated only a mile from the M(A)74, M6 & A75 giving easy access to Glasgow, Dumfries & Carlisle. Perfect for exploring the colourful heritage of Gretna Green and designer shopping at The Gretna Gateway Outlet village is just minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Gables Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gables Hotel Gretna Green
- The Gables Hotel Gretna, Scotland