“Not so good this time”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Wirral UK
“Not so good this time”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We've eaten here numerous times over the years and we visit the excellent pub regularly. We ate as a party of 4.

We were quite disappointed in our dining experience this time around. Though the restaurant was fairly quiet, we found the service to be slow and we felt a little neglected. Many of the food choices were unavailable and what we did choose was at best average. The food reminded us of a Happy Eater. The Wheatsheaf is a classic Old English pub and it deserves a good restaurant.

We will not be rushing back.

1 Thank NeilandBarbara

Chester, United Kingdom
“Saturday Lunch”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We went for Lunch on a Saturday as it was one of the few places that offered more than just snacks. We have been for dinner several times before. Unfortunately my wife's meal was substandard, she ordered fish and chips, the fish was greasy and the mushy peas looked as if they had been re-heated from the previous day. Of course my meal was very good! Now you may think why has he given it 4 out of 5? Well the restaurant didn't quibble and didn't charge for my wife's meal. Sometimes things do go wrong and its how the establishment deals with it that influences the review. In this instance they dealt with it very well so despite a less than perfect experience we would go again.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank FandDD
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Excellent service & ambience, disappointing food”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My title says it all, really. We had spent the day out on the Wirral and planned to top the day off in style at the Wheatsheaf. The restaurant/pub looks idyllic from the outside, with its thatched roof and half-timbering. The interior is atmospheric too, with nooks and crannies and lots of dark woodwork. We were welcomed and made to feel at home, whilst the service we received both before and during our meal was impeccable - though consideration might be given to leaving a water jug actually on the table to save the feet of the waiting staff. However, disappointingly, particularly as it is, after all, the main reason for visiting a restaurant, we were disappointed in the food. There was nothing wrong with mine per se: it was quite tasty and well-presented, but I thought it not living up to the price and quite insufficient in portion-size and I was still hungry after leaving after two courses, my usual amount (I had to have a slice of cake on my return home, something I had done only once before at another eating place years ago). My wife's fish also tasted a little funny, though she did not mention this until after arriving home, which is unfortunate as, in fairness, I am sure the Wheatsheaf would have been mortified. For what it was, to be honest, I thought it over-priced, which is a great shame as expectations before dining are raised high.

Malpas, United Kingdom
“Impromptu lunch”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Lovely dining area and staff. Delicious food. My partner said possibly the best hot seafood medley he had ever had. My pork was divine. Thumbs up for another visit.

2 Thank lindseyk840
Mold, United Kingdom
“Hard to find but worth it”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Went here for a birthday meal with family. The staff were very attentive and excellent with our kids.

The food was excellent but what really stood out for me was the wine list, fantastic quality and choice.

Worth the time to go and eat there.

3 Thank DavidWalker300