The White Lion Inn
  • Free Internet
  • Room Service
Tri-Star Hotel(Solihull)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubstayed herereal alelovely atmospherefor sunday lunchcheese boardevening mealbriebelly porktwo night staysmall roomexcellent value for moneybirmingham airportwi fibreakfast was excellentroom numbermember of staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2013

A group of us stayed here for 3 nights whilst at an exhibition at the NEC. Overall the experience everyone had could not be faulted. The owners and staff were very friendly and the meals were superb. I personaly stayed in room 7 which was one of the larger garden rooms - very nice. Would rather stay somewhere like this than Premier Inn or Travelodge.

Room Tip: Room 7 very good in the gardens.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Guinness4health
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed here because there was a show that I had to visit at the national motorcycle museum. This pub is in a beautiful little village only a few minutes from the M42 and near Birmingham Airport and the NEC. The pub seams to have been recently refurbished to a high quality. The room was small but clean. The quality of the food in the restaurant was fantastic and the beer was of a very high quality.

The only down side was the breakfast as the sausages were dry and it wasn´t up to what I would call a good standard. It was hard to keep the shower at a constant good temperature and the TV was tiny. I read other reviews that said the rooms are cold so I just cranked up the thermastat and it was fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FieldFace
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This pub/b&b is very well located just off the motorway and 10 mins from Solihull. The breakfast was first class. The restaurant whilst some items on the menu weren't available was also very good and well priced, compliments to the chef.

Then we come to the accommodation and this is where it whispers. Yes the room was very small, no chair, bathroom door hinged as to close to the bottom of the bed. TV small yes no bigger than my laptop screen and could have done with swivlling. No ironing board. The back of this wardrobe was falling out. The bathroom lighting could have been more focused on the mirror.

It was clean it was warm and the bed was comfortable.

It wants to minimalist and that's good but for the price it demands some luxury. Better quality furniture and better layout would not go amiss.

It served my needs for 2 nights won't be on top of my list to sleep at when I am back. But I will consider it as a place to eat.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I stayed here for a work trip, at first glance the accommodaion seemed basic but tastefully done. After a few minutes I realised there was no main light in the bedroom, only bedside lamps which weren't bright enough to be able to do my hair and makeup. So I thought I'd use the bathroom to straighten my hair but there was no plug socket near the bathroom to plug the straighteners into. The tv was also tiny and there was no towel rail in the bathroom and no shelving to be able to put any towels or makeup etc on. Looking under the bed there were huge dust balls and although my room was a fairly decent size, my colleagues said that theirs were tiny. The breakfast was average and the bed was very soft which I hated. I was only here for one night but I can imagine that staying here any longer would be very frustrating. Having said this, the pub itself is very nice and the dinner we had was lovely. Outside there are lovely seating areas around the trees in the garden that would be great on a warn sunny day. I won't be staying again, this place could have been so much better but for the money it's just not worth it!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KalexPlymouth_Devon
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Our second stay at The White Lion, we gave it a second try as the location is convenient to the NEC. Our first stay was clouded by staff not turning up to serve Breakfast, leaving us with the option of no breakfast or arriving very late for a business meeting.
Our recent visit started with no heating in our bedroom on a freezing cold late afternoon, told we had to wait 2 hours for the owner to arrive before it could be sorted. We had to press the staff on duty to telephone for assistance - all that was required was a simple battery, hardly rocket science and the room should have been checked.
Staff try hard but are over whelmed and over worked.
Owners attitude in his own words 'we are here to make money'

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah B
raphanoa, Manager at The White Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

We are very sorry you have felt the need to make this review ,but,we feel that we must point out that the failed thermostat battery was replaced within 20 minutes and not two hours. Unfortunately batteries have a finite lifespan and that they must expire at some point during a 24 hour day !!
With regard to your other comments ,there are two sides to every story, and we all have our own opinions,overwhelmed and overworked are not the words we would use to descibe our staff.Harangued may be a better description !
We are also very sorry that you are not comfortable with us making money as a business and have not met your requirements now on two occasions !
We hope that you will find more suitable accomodation within 3 miles of the NEC in future, that is more suited to your needs and budget.