“relaxing”

Badian Island Wellness Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Badian Island
Reviewed 8 December 2013

the spa is greaaaat!! Also I recommend renting the paddle boat... it´s stunning to paddle even on your own and the views of the island from the sea are amaazing!!...It´s really worth it. Also whale shark watching is an activity worth trying while you´re here.

Room Tip: choose one with ocean view!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 125Annie

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed in this charming remote resort last week, with clean water, great and nice staff, delicious food, charming German Boss, and were disappointed by the lack of TV and slow internet connection. Bring your own Globe Tattoo USB connection if you need internet as much as I need it, daily.
Wine selection will make happy any French Wines "connaisseur" or expert.

Then on the last day, my expensive Sony digital video camera was stolen from my room, by someone having access to room, therefore probably an employee. It's sad and ruined my stay...as I am very cautious with my belongings....it never left the room, as I only used it from my room, and searched any square cm in the room for it, for hours. I am 100% sure it was stolen. Management says that only housekeeping has access to the rooms.
Conclusion: lock ALL your valuables, inside a safe place, in the safe, or the suitcase....

Room Tip: The Private Villas with private pools are unique and just amazing
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EnjoyPhilippines
Reviewed 29 April 2013

It's the first time I write a comment for a place in tripadvisor and it's because I read many bad comments about this place, and I strongly disagree. I've just coming back from there.
We chose a Juinior Suite, and everything was clean. It looks as in the pictures of the website of the hotel. I can't talk about the other accommodations, but Junior Suite was great. The food taste really good and the cocktails, also. The staff are very kind. Briefly, we didn't have any problem there, and I'm very fussy, mainly about cleaning rooms and the food.
The place it's perfect to relax and enjoy a beautiful sea, we went snokeling and we were lucky to see turtles, amazing!!.

There's always something to get better. For example, although the shower worked perfectly I think could be better. Give more complimentary water. And maybe cheaper activites would be nice. And that's all.

Really, for me the three hours to get in there from Cebu airport are more than deserve.

It's a expensive place but the quality is good, I informed before I get there, so I don't think is a thing to complain.

Keep it up.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BLBHongKong
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Its really worth taking the 3 hour ride from Cebu Airport to Badian Island.The resorts welcome and fairwell is absolutely touching.As my other half also celebrated his birthday on the island lovely miss Grace organized a surprise night for him, including a birthday cake, gift, and drinks at the end of our dinner, as well as staff singing with quitar! The rooms are clean and spacious with mini bar, huge bathroom, outside bath tub, and lovely balcony.Every day rooms are cleaned and fresh flowers decorated! The surrounding amendities are great, picturesque and really romantic.The staff are amazing and helpful!! The food prices though are really expensive and the food portions are really small.Spa services are available, but also over priced.Would be nice that the resort advised on their web site what months are suitable to visit the island as for 3 days we did not see the sun and tasted lond periods of rain. Other than that, would highly recommend, perfect for couples!Again staff are its 5*

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Artemis B
Reviewed 4 February 2013

+ Beautifully situated on its own island, very friendly staff. Spacious rooms.

- Extremely overpriced. Food, excursions, everything is 50-200% more expensive than in comparable hotels and resorts, even with better standard. As a small comparison, I take a small bottle of San Miguel costing maximum 125php elsewhere. It costs 220php at Badian. If you want to stay at a secluded resort I would rather recommend Alegre close to Sogod, It gives much better value for your money and is all in all better run. With those prices Badian takes one expects much more luxury. But it's not. Furniture is not good enough, the beautiful baths can not be filled more than half full with hot water. The shower does not work quite as it should. The breakfast buffet is OK, but not great. Etc, etc.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Mikael P
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed at the resort for 5 days, as a scuba diving vacation in the Moalboal area of Cebu island. When I looked around for nice resorts with diving accommodations and big beds, the room prices for the Badian compared evenly with some of the better-rated resorts in the area. I was looking at the "family suite" as opposed to the Badian suite, with ocean view, since those cost twice as much.

The drive from Cebu airport was about 2 1/2 hours; we got our own private car and driver, and he had no objections to when we wanted to stop for food, for a bathroom break, or to take pictures. While it is a long journey, being able to stop and enjoy the trip makes it a lot less onerous.

The resort is big, spread out over a wide area, with sand paths connecting everything. If you have trouble walking on sand and dirt paths up and down hills, or for long distances, this resort isn't for you.

The family suite itself is a big room, with an alcove holding two twin beds that can be separated from the main room with sliding doors, a nice patio with sitting area and hammock, and a huge bathroom with outdoor tub. The air conditioner worked to perfection, quiet and efficient. The king size bed was comfortable, and the room lighting was a bit complex to operate, but had good options for dimming lights if we wanted. The bathroom had a bidet as well as a WC (a nice European touch), a shower (indoors), and a big Roman tub outside. Due to a vegetation problem, our tub had a great view onto the walking path (and vice-versa, oops) but a couple of strategically placed pool towels on the bamboo railing solved that easily. Water flow was good, and the hot water nice and hot. There was a mini-bar and wired internet in the room. As other reviewers have noted, there is no TV in the room. If you're a TV addict, this might be a problem - I liked the quiet and peaceful commercial-free vacation.

When we got there, the entire room was decorated with fresh flowers for a very exotic greeting. We got a flower necklace and a welcome drink, served in a coconut. The staff, from start to finish, was attentive, friendly, client-focused, and driven to satisfy. There were personal touches, such as the hand-written note on the shell at departure, that I have seen at no other resort anywhere.

The food prices were high, as noted by other reviewers. The food was excellent, the portions generous, it was well presented with attentive service. Where prices got out of control was for the alcoholic beverages - beer and wine were priced quite high, even in comparison with other luxury resorts. The organized dinners, with entertainment (dancers, a singer with a guitar, etc) are served by the pool, or on the beach, and are another relatively unique and very nice touch to add luxury to the stay.

The pool was nice, well maintained, quiet, with lots of pool towels already laid out and waiting (no need to hunt up staff and mortgage your firstborn). The lounge chairs and shady areas were clean, the furniture padded and comfortable, and a bar was nearby (the resort has two, one near the pool, and one near the beach and games area). We did avail ourselves of the games, ranging from billiards to table tennis, as well as the paddle boat rental out in the lagoon area. Even when it's windy and the ocean has big waves, the lagoon is relatively calm, and paddling is possible. There is no shortage of things to do, even on this small island. The resort does offer island hopping tours, and a hiking trip to the nearby waterfalls (on the main island of Cebu) as well. They have guided morning beach exercise, and other activities scheduled. Each day, a "day's guide" was slipped under our door, letting us know about that day's schedule.

We did not try the spa services, as these were ridiculously priced (5,000 to 13,000 pesos for various treatments). Certainly, the spa services looked inviting, and as with everything else at this resort, I'm sure they are top-notch.

The dive shop and dive master were likewise friendly, accommodating, and took care of us well. We went on several dive trips (prices were about 300 pesos per dive higher than elsewhere if we bought the multi-dive package), and the diving in the area is indeed excellent. Badian, Moalboal, and Pescador Island are primarily wall dives, relatively easy with slow current. There are a few sand dives, and a few higher-current dives in the area as well. One downside to this resort is that, unlike Moalboal, you can't just dive directly from the resort, you must take a boat out to any dive sites. It's a small inconvenience, as the resort has several boats, and can take you where and when you want to go.

Overall, the visit was wonderful, and I would certainly not say it was not worth going. I know that, for myself, I won't go back, only because there are so many other places to visit, and my wallet stung a little harder than I would have liked after leaving the Badian. However, it was definitely worth doing once, and enjoying a thoroughly pleasant and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Unless you require an ocean view, I suggest the Family Suites. They are far enough away from the mai...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fred b
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Badian Resort and Spa is a nice place. I had a very lovely chat with the Manager one afternoon and we both mentioned that no hotel/resort will truly satisfy every guest 100 percent. I’m guessing even the 4 Season Hawaii might have a few “dings” here and there. I’m a solo traveler and Badian is certainly geared towards families and couples but I was treated just as kindly as anyone else. Honestly, the peace, quiet and solitude were perfect for me: a hardworking teacher (American, living in Cairo). I stayed in the Jr Suite which was just fine. It’s large enough with a sitting area, king size bed, patio and very large bathroom with an private, out door tub. Some other posters might have complained about the bed, but I found it to be perfectly comfortable. The grounds are well kept but as natural as possible and hey, gotta love the natural sound effects from bird calls, rooster crows, insects and frogs.
There are many excursions that will take visitors away from all the peace and quiet, including a visit with whale sharks (I’m still on the fence about corralling nature to suit the purposes of tourists), an island hopping boat ride that includes two great places to snorkel, and a short trek to Kawasan Falls. I’m not a diver but from what I’ve read there are some nice dive spots. Talk to Hans in the dive center. He’s quite a character all on his own! I also recommend having someone take you to visit the village behind the resort. This will open your eyes! And take a few treats for the children: pens, pencils, school supplies.
The breakfast buffet is adequate: bacon, eggs to order, other breakfast meats, a lovely fruit bar and bread goods. And quite frankly, the veranda was my favorite place. I could enjoy my coffee in the early hours. I was usually the guest at the buffet.
The spa was heavenly! I enjoyed a package that included a facial, foot bath, body scrub and wrap, with a milk bath and massage. I’ve done similar treatments in the States and found the cost to be VERY reasonable. And who needs piped in spa music when you can enjoy the sounds of the waves and bird calls.
All the staff were pleasant and genuinely friendly. No one failed to greet me with a hello, good morning or good evening.
Now to the facts: it’s a long way from the Cebu Airport to the resort. To quote the Beatles: “it’s a long and winding road” that leads to Badian Resort. But relax and enjoy the ride. Once you get out of the city area there is some beautiful countryside to see along with the villages. Because the resort is on an island, meals are limited to the resort. This can be pricey of course. But what I did eat was very well done with many options that included “lighter” offerings as well as vegetarian choices. I really enjoyed the fish sandwich with banana chips. And hit the bar for happy hour…yummy drinks. There is some nighttime noise from the village so maybe earplugs will help at sleep time. There is truly free WiFi but it is best in the main areas: lobby, bar, restaurant. It's a little touch and go in the rooms. Oh, it is tropical, so don't forget to pack some anti-itch cream...just in case.

Anyway, I’m very glad that I stayed at Badian. It was a nice respite from the first part of my vacation which was a trip to Hong Kong.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
#2 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Badian Island Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!