“Awesome Valentine's evening”
Review of Mongena Game Lodge

Mongena Game Lodge
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I took advantage of a Valentine's Special by Mongena. This included accommodation for Friday night, a game drive (we could book any of the time slots that suited us), dinner at the Kingfisher Restaurant and breakfast on Saturday morning. Being adventurous, I booked it as a surprise for my wife, while knowing little about the venue. I am pleased to say that we had a wonderful time! I was worried after making the initial inquiries and booking, as electronic communication proved to be very slow. I raised this with the owner's wife, who explained their connectivity predicament and the fix they had just deployed. Apart from this, everything went smooth. The lodge is an an area where the "Big 5" game can be viewed, and the Friday late afternoon/early evening game drive was superb with 2 of the Big 5 sighted. The drive included a fine selection of drinks and snacks. We did lunch at Kingfisher just after our arrival, and while the restaurant service was a little slow, the food was great. The evening dinner yielded a better result, with an amazing, high end three course meal and excellent service. Our accommodation was in a unit suitable for four people, and the main room included a king size bed. The place was neat, well equipped and finding a Zebra on my portch was great! Not only can I recommend Mongena, but the greater Dinokeng area was great, and only 45 minutes out of Pretoria. Well done, I cannot wait to go back, taking my kids to enjoy the area, game and swimming pool!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We spent the weekend at Mongena - what a pleasure! The staff was very friendly & helpfull. We had a wonderful room and the food at the Kingfisher restaurant was excellent. Our gamedrives were fantastic. Thank you to Riaan that managed to find lion, cheeta, elephants, rhino, giraffes, etc. all within a 3 hour drive!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eileen V
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Staff were exceptionally friendly. The food served in the Kingfisher restaurant was extremely well presented and delicious. The lodge is beautifully laid out with high-quality fittings and finishes. Well worth the price and worth returning to.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Just 55Km / ½ Hours drive from my home in Pretoria you arrive at this stunning peace of earth.

Because it was a first time visit and we didn't exactly knew what to expect, I only booked one night. What I am very grateful for was the two game drives that I booked.

Our game ranger and tracker on both drives where Andries (GR) and Rexton (Tracker) and extremely well educated and very good at what they do. It is great to meet people that you can see and hear that they are loving what they do.

We had a three course dinner at the Kingfisher restaurant and what a delight.

We spotted 3 out of the Big 5!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is my second time to Mongena and my family's first trip. Often, after an excellent visit, the second visit falls seriously short. This did not happen I am very happy to say. Our game drives with Jessie and Dafnika were exceptional and we saw all of the big 5 except the leopard. We got very up close and personal with some ellies and saw hippos, lots of plain game, giraffe and even a very newly born kudu baby! The restaurant is very good and made a plan for me when I didn't eat the set menu mains so that I could still have a really nice meal. Overall - outstanding service, excellent and beautifully equipped rooms and generally a relaxing and accommodating experience. And we did this all with a 2 year old!!! Thank you so much to Jessie and Isaac specifically who were stand out staff with excellent service and attitudes!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The experience was amazing once i got accommodation there. the game rangers went beyond the extra mile to ensure amazing sightings and the hospitality and dining were amazing.(added a few kg's in the time there)

Only :( was the reservations that were uninformed and unfriendly but once management got involved it was an experience of a life time

Will definitely see me again!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Indlovu_Travels
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A great game lodge close to Jhb but far away from the stresses associated with it. Honeymoon suite is a must. The food was fantastic and the game drives were extremely exciting and informative. Very friendly staff that were extremely helpful. We will be back!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammanskraal
Malibu Country Lodge
#5 of 20 in Hammanskraal
Foreva Wild
Foreva Wild
#3 of 20 in Hammanskraal

Been to Mongena Game Lodge? Share your experiences!