“Safari Goodtimes”

Mongena Game Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Safari Goodtimes”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The safari was awesome. We actually witnessed a lion hunt attacking wildebeest. Its well worth a visit and only an hour from Joburg. The rooms are very big in a beautiful lodge setting. I recommend the evening tour. Our guide was Pieter, he was very friendly and knowledgeable. We saw antelope, Lions, warthogs, Buffalo, Blue Wilder beast and white Rhyno. Amazing experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, UK
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Had an awesome 3 night stay here at the beginning of our SA holiday.
Could not really fault the service and super friendly staff.
The on-site restaurant here is really awesome, such good value and fantastic tasting food, plus we spotted 2 resident crocodiles in the on-site lake!

The game walk was great. Did not do the game drive.

Lovely pool area that we relaxed around.

Do stay here, it is super close to Johannesburg - ideal for families with children. You can view lion, cheetah, elephants, rhino and giraffe here as well so no need to go far to see wild animals in their natural habitat
We stayed in the honeymoon suite which is a lovely massive room but to give this 10/10, I would say the addition of a mini fridge plus some attention to minor repairs in that room, would ensure a 10/10 rating.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I took advantage of a Valentine's Special by Mongena. This included accommodation for Friday night, a game drive (we could book any of the time slots that suited us), dinner at the Kingfisher Restaurant and breakfast on Saturday morning. Being adventurous, I booked it as a surprise for my wife, while knowing little about the venue. I am pleased to say that we had a wonderful time! I was worried after making the initial inquiries and booking, as electronic communication proved to be very slow. I raised this with the owner's wife, who explained their connectivity predicament and the fix they had just deployed. Apart from this, everything went smooth. The lodge is an an area where the "Big 5" game can be viewed, and the Friday late afternoon/early evening game drive was superb with 2 of the Big 5 sighted. The drive included a fine selection of drinks and snacks. We did lunch at Kingfisher just after our arrival, and while the restaurant service was a little slow, the food was great. The evening dinner yielded a better result, with an amazing, high end three course meal and excellent service. Our accommodation was in a unit suitable for four people, and the main room included a king size bed. The place was neat, well equipped and finding a Zebra on my portch was great! Not only can I recommend Mongena, but the greater Dinokeng area was great, and only 45 minutes out of Pretoria. Well done, I cannot wait to go back, taking my kids to enjoy the area, game and swimming pool!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We spent the weekend at Mongena - what a pleasure! The staff was very friendly & helpfull. We had a wonderful room and the food at the Kingfisher restaurant was excellent. Our gamedrives were fantastic. Thank you to Riaan that managed to find lion, cheeta, elephants, rhino, giraffes, etc. all within a 3 hour drive!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen V
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Staff were exceptionally friendly. The food served in the Kingfisher restaurant was extremely well presented and delicious. The lodge is beautifully laid out with high-quality fittings and finishes. Well worth the price and worth returning to.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Just 55Km / ½ Hours drive from my home in Pretoria you arrive at this stunning peace of earth.

Because it was a first time visit and we didn't exactly knew what to expect, I only booked one night. What I am very grateful for was the two game drives that I booked.

Our game ranger and tracker on both drives where Andries (GR) and Rexton (Tracker) and extremely well educated and very good at what they do. It is great to meet people that you can see and hear that they are loving what they do.

We had a three course dinner at the Kingfisher restaurant and what a delight.

We spotted 3 out of the Big 5!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is my second time to Mongena and my family's first trip. Often, after an excellent visit, the second visit falls seriously short. This did not happen I am very happy to say. Our game drives with Jessie and Dafnika were exceptional and we saw all of the big 5 except the leopard. We got very up close and personal with some ellies and saw hippos, lots of plain game, giraffe and even a very newly born kudu baby! The restaurant is very good and made a plan for me when I didn't eat the set menu mains so that I could still have a really nice meal. Overall - outstanding service, excellent and beautifully equipped rooms and generally a relaxing and accommodating experience. And we did this all with a 2 year old!!! Thank you so much to Jessie and Isaac specifically who were stand out staff with excellent service and attitudes!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammanskraal
The Blades Hotel
#4 of 15 in Hammanskraal
Zenzele River Lodge
Zenzele River Lodge
#1 of 2 in Rust de Winter

Been to Mongena Game Lodge? Share your experiences!