“Steak night on a Thursday”
Review of Hilton House Hotel

Hilton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hilton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had a lovely steak meal here. Staff were very warm and welcoming. Food was lovely, home made chips, steak cooked exactly how we asked. Would definetly recommend and good portion sizes

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We went here with a groupon deal, which I think was only £12 for four people. The service and staff are outstanding, I believe this is all down to good training (well done), the public areas and dining room are very much in keeping with the building, which made our visit extra special.

For the money we paid it was 5 out of 5, but had we paid the full price we would have been a little disappointed at the small portion of meat we got, perhaps if you go with a voucher you get less which is fair enough but as much as we enjoyed it going back and paying full price is unlikely, unless of course I'm told that larger portions are served when paying full price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Susan, Thank you for your honest opinion, I do apologise if you felt a Groupon customer is treated differently, the answer is no but that doesn't excuse the fact that you felt the portion size was meagre.

Groupon customers currently make up about 50% of our trade whilst the offer is valid and it is our desire to see them return, so we have to get the quality and quantity of food right every time, be you the first or last customer of the day.

Of course everybody has a different interpretation as to what is enough, and we would always be happy to put another slice on the plate if requested.

I have contacted you directly to see if we can tempt you back, and I do hope you take me up on my offer and that we see you soon with hopefully a glowing report.

Colin Clark
Co-Owner
Hilton House Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2012

A very special day for any couple getting married, we had the whole wedding day at Hilton House. 50 guests joined us in the day and 100 at night. Zoe and her team were brilliant all day, nothing was any trouble for them. The food was outstanding for the wedding breakfast and the evening buffet. Our guests were also very impressed with the hotel and surroundings some of which also booked rooms to stay. Massive thanks to Zoe and all her team we will be back very soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed 11 August 2012

20 of us had lunch to celebrate 30th Anniversary of my Brother and his wife. Wonderful meal. Lovely food, beef was so tasty and succulent. Attentive staff. Nothing much trouble. Such a happy occasion . Many thanks. Will be back very soon.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Vjw68
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I visited here for a Sunday lunch with family and grandparents. The music was ridiculously loud, none of us could here each other.
The meat in the meal was carved so thickly that you could hardly cut through it let alone chew. (I advise that they learn to sharpen their knives)
One member of staff had a very unpleasant attitude especially when we asked for my grandad to have salmon instead of the tough beef. But I must say, there was a lady serving us who had only been there 2 days and she was wonderful!
One of the worst carverys I've had in terms of meat and would not return. The place has a lot of potential but is no where near to reaching it.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Steph W
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

As the owner I would like to apologise for what you feel is the worst Sunday Carvery you have visited. I note that you make no mention of the fact that your complaint was listened to and acted upon immediately, by our most senior member of staff who I have never heard refered to in the way you suggest, the music was adjusted and the beef in question was replaced by Salmon, which you have made no complaint about.

We try to have music on as background and sometimes a quiet song is on and we turn up the volume and then annoyingly a louder track comes on and before you know it it can be a little loud, but you obviuosly requested it be turned down and we did. Why the need to slate us now when we responded to your issue??

I would like to point out that during a service of over 60 guests, a quiet week in fact, that no other customer complained about either the food or the level of the music so again refuse to believe that we are the worst Sunday Carvery on offer. Believe me I have tried many other venues to ensure our offering is one of the best, which I still believe it is.

In fact we have served over 600 Sunday Carverys in the last couple of months and have received no complaints, on the contrary, if you notice the review below yours we have received high praise and have customers who return on a regular basis.

I would therefore like to appeal to all customers reading your review to try us for yourselves before making any judgments.

I would go as far as to say that we went out of our way to attend to your demands, replacing a second nearly finished meal with another Salmon at no extra charge.

I suppose I would further suggest that my member of staff was that surprised at the level of complaint that she really was taken aback and had to think about how to deal with it, it happens that seldom.

Thank you however for the feedback, if only to permit me my right to reply, and again I reiterate to anybody reading this, please dont allow one review to put you off.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

I visited the Hilton House Hotel on Sunday 3rd June with a voucher I had purchased from groupon. As soon as myself & my partner arrived the lady at the desk led us to our table in the dining area. Then someone came to our table to ask us what drinks we required. Then another member of staff asked us if we wanted starters. The staff at the Hilton House Hotel are very polite & very attentive. The Sunday dinner was lovely. Warm hearty food cooked to perfection. Lovely place & lovely staff. Would definitely go back & would recommend to others as well.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Thank you ever so much for the glowing feedback. Myself colin and my wife Zoe (the lady on reception) have run the hotel for over 3 years now, and in these challenging times are doing our utmost to ensure good quality service and attentive staff whilst keeping prices affordable. Our food is mostly home made by our chefs Mandy & Tim and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

Having visited previously and been reasonably satisfield my stay this week was a disappointment..........arrived late as traffic bad and had left message (nobody picked up phone).Missed last orders by ten minutes and so had to walk in rain 10 mins up road.
Room 112 looked ok,but the mattress was awful and needs replacing.The bathroom floor was dirty and the ceiling height in the bathroom is just silly (banged my head).
Breakfast was excellent and the staff very friendly.

Room Tip: don't stay in the annexe (particularly 112)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank dinnerinthedog
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

We apologise that due to being very busy we were unable to answer the phone, the message however just said that the guest was running late, we hold rooms until we close, but just thought guest was keen to advise on their journey.

Upon check in there was no suggestion that food was required and yes we had stopped serving anyway, we cant keep chef's on all night every night, we have published food times and have to end them at some time.

The room is an old cottage converted and yes the ceiling is low and we can do nothing about it.

I dont believe the floor was dirty, it is cleaned after every use and the bed has not been questioned before though personal opinion will differ between guests as to whether a matress is too firm, too soft or just right.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilton
ibis budget Derby
ibis budget Derby
#1 of 1 in Willington
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Cen...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Littleover Lodge Hotel
Littleover Lodge Hotel
#22 of 29 in Derby
The Unicorn Inn
The Unicorn Inn
#1 of 2 in Newton Solney

Been to Hilton House Hotel? Share your experiences!