“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hilton B&B and Inns
Derby
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed overnight as we were attending brother-in-laws 50th birthday party. Had a very pleasant evening. Beds were comfy. Recognise that this is a converted property so would be a little quirky. Missed having a shower but there was plenty of hot water to fill the bath. Tip - shut the windows, the road was quite noisy about 5am in the morning. Breakfast was good. Don't think £75 for a night was expensive! Nice little place and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with shower if mobility limited
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlossieDerby
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you ever so much for this review.

It is so pleasing to receive a review from somebody who understands that we are an old building and are "quirky",most find this appealing, and if you stayed for a few nights you would also get to know the staff and feel like you're in a home from home.

We are looking into replacement windows for that room but wouldn't help if you wanted it open of course.

Thank you once again for the positive comments

Colin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The service was good ,staff friendly, the food was fine, Hotel was clean but looked a little tired, rather bare could do with some pictures on the walls and a few ornaments and flowers about the place. Nothing exceptional but we have certainly had worse.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenniferlJ6322OO
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your review regarding our Sunday Carvery. Its a shame there was little mention about the choice and variety of food on offer on our carvery.

Indulge me if you will, we are a small village hotel, built 150 years ago as a family home with a function room added about 50 years ago.

Over the last 2 years we have redecorated reception, re-carpeted the ground floor, purchased new furniture in the lounge/meeting area and refurbished the function room.

We have pictures throughout the ground floor, but have elected to keep the function room neutral so that it does not look out of place at weddings, christenings, funerals, annual dinners and Sunday lunch. There are however tall vases with decorations in, in the windows that complement the Roman Blinds.

Tired suggests we have done nothing to keep on top of the decor, and this is anything but the truth.

I accept that we are not modern, but you wouldn't blame your elders for not being modern.

Thank you once again for your your review

St Neots, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have just spent one night at this hotel which I thoroughly enjoyed. Reception and waiting / breakfast staff are all very friendly and helpful. Yes, the rooms are a little dated but the rooms are clean and the beds are really comfy! The breakfast was very enjoyable with a good choice. The cost of the hotel may be priced slightly too high as I have stayed in five star hotels in London for almost the same price. However, I would return again. Thank you to all the excellent staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are an old building which gives us our own certain character. You will find steps up and down, the rooms are not purpose built, but we are comfy cosy.

Our staff and our breakfast we hope provide the value that you look for when spending your hard earnt money.

Our price is cheaper than 2 of our nearest competitors, and yes its possible to get some really great deals at expensive hotels when they are really quiet.

We look forward to your next visit at the Hilton House
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

beautiful relaxing place! I really enjoyed my stay and I am sure to recommend this to my friends and I will return as soon as I can! Lovely Place! Beautiful helpful staff. Amazing swimming pool, amazing people amazing place!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kayla m
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Whilst I love that you loved us, sadly this review is not about my lovely little hotel as we do not have a swimming pool
consett
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We visited friends who live nearby. Unfortunately the family room was just too small. The bathroom was simply a walk in cupboard. There was a sign telling you to keep shower door closed, but no where to put shampoo.so every time you bent over to pick stuff up the door opened. Also lots of damp. The TV was too small and we rolled into each other due to a very worn mattress. I asked to be moved to a room with a bath, which was great, if not a little dated. Definitely the most we've ever paid to stay anywhere, and the worst.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your review of Hilton House Hotel. I must advise though that the worn out mattress you refer to was new with the bed earlier this year, so its nowhere near worn out, it is only a double but maybe you are more familiar with a King-sized bed.

We are an old family home converted to a hotel some 50 years ago where all rooms shared a bathroom along the corridor. At some point en-suites were installed as best as possible, yes its a little on the small side but perfectly functional.

It would appear that the soap dish in the shower has become loose and was removed, this I do agree is a failing that needs to be rectified.

As to the price, you had booked a room for 3 guests all with breakfast, and we have bought new furniture to accommodate 3 persons in that room at a price that including VAT we feel is not too unreasonable.

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was extremely surprised by this little gem. I booked because a group of us were going racing at Uttoxeter but would stay if I was going to Alton towers or anywhere else local, the staff and locals gave us a very warm welcome and breakfast was excellent. I can not praise the staff enough, one of our party was fortunate enough to win a couple of thousand of pounds at the races and stupidly left it in the room, on our way home I received a call to say that housekeeping had found it:- we were stunned, in this day and age it is an absolute breath of fresh air to find GOOD HONEST people. Would definitely stay again. Also Kirsty does the best chocolate orange cheesecake ever ( she is going to send me the recipe), definitely worth a trip.

Room Tip: If you are quite tall then the outside rooms are probably not for you, otherwise all the other rooms...
Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Wonderful place, glad I went and would definitely recommend it for everyone. The Carvery is awesome.

The staff at this place are mega friendly and really only have you in mind. If I ever come back to the UK, this place will certainly be on my list once more

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank touring_planets
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilton
ibis budget Derby
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Hilton House Hotel? Share your experiences!