“Good company, friendly, nice meal”
Review of Wallis Arms Hotel

Wallis Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Millstreet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Bumped into Millstreet's great gentleman and its famous chronicler, Seán Radley, on a recent visit to the lovely town and was taken by Seán to the Wallis Arms for a chat and evening meal before heading for home. The staff and management were friendly. The toasted sandwich, coffee and French fries were simply perfect. It's a perfect place for a chat and something to eat. The lounge was very busy with evening diners. That's always a good sign.

Seán is a great ambassador for Millstreet and seems to know absolutely everybody, for each of whom he has a kind word.

When in Millstreet, don't forget to visit its Catholic church. The church has a Harry Clarke stained glass window of sublime quality and workmanship.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Powerpix

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at the Wallis Arms for two nights. The rooms were spotless - my husband and I had an adjoining room with our son, each with our own bath - and comfortable. The entire hotel was neat, clean, and appeared to be freshly painted. Views out the window of the Clara mountains were beautiful. Breakfast each morning was fabulous and the staff were so kind and friendly. I will definitely stay there again when we return to Millstreet. It was in a convenient location and was a lovely experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The team at the Wallis Arms were exceptionally welcoming and friendly (especially the lady that looked after me for breakfast in the mornings - Lily (?) - she was so warm and kind, and looked after me as if I was family!).

The full cooked Irish breakfast was HUGE! (Double sausage, double bacon, double eggs, mushrooms, black pudding, white pudding, beans - I ordered a 'half' Irish on day 2 which was much more manageable for me), toast, preserves, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts, fruit juices, fresh baked soda bread, fresh baked scones (Lily wrapped me an extra scone to take for my elevenses!), copious quantities of tea (or filter coffee). They also provided take-out cups for folks wanting a coffee or tea 'on the hoof'.

Rooms were spacious, modern, clean, and well-equipped (inc. kettle, good hairdryer, and decent wi-fi (I was in room 1)). There was plenty of hot water, a good shower (over the bath fixed type, at mains pressure, with a clean (and not too clingy!) shower curtain). Bed was a little on the firm side. Bed linen and towels were fresh, white and clean. My room was warm and comfortable, and allowed two good nights sleep. I wasn't disturbed by the nightclub below - but it was a midweek stay (so I cannot comment on weekend activity).

Evening meals can be taken in the form of a pub meal in the bar - with a some 'home made' specials (I tried the salmon, and the liver - both were delicious).

A couple of watch outs:
Due to the location - on the high street (convenient for all amenities) - there is a 2 hour limit on parking outside the building. I used a large free public car park just round the corner (a 2 minute walk).
There was no milk in the room with the tea / coffee making facility - but it wasn't a hardship to pop down to the bar and fetch some :-)
Lots of people use the bar for evening meals - the 'best' seats are taken early, and the taller stool / tables are not so comfortable for dining.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were given a great Irish welcome by Lily, who is extremely friendly & gracious! She really helped to make our stay at the Wallis Arms the very best! The Sheehans are lucky to have her in their employ! She made us the full Irish breakfast that was outstanding! The scones are the very best in all of Ireland!! On our last day we had to get to the train early, and she made sure we had a taxi waiting for us and even came in early to make sure we had breakfast! Certainly above & beyond what we ever expected! Our room was spacious and very comfortable! Bathroom included a huge bathtub (only one we encountered...all other B & B's only had showers) which was great after a long day of touring! We were in Millstreet to research our ancestors and with the help of Sean R. actually found our ancestral home! More than we had hoped for!!! Millstreet is a wonderful little town with brightly painted stucco storefronts and homes....St. Patrick's Church is beautiful! Their records, online, helped me to locate ancestors, too. Beautiful countryside!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at the hotel for my niece's Christening. The staff were very helpful and friendly on arrival. We went to our room and it was very clean and spacious. The bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic!!!! We had one side of the bar to ourselves and picked what we wanted off the menu. The staff had laid out croissants, Danish pastries, cereals, and more. It was a feast and all part of the price. We would certainly stay again!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The bedroom was fitted out like a marriott or hilton.The breakfast was simply the best I have ever had.Staff were exceptionally welcoming and helpful.bar downstairs was cosy and inviting. Intriguingly I experienced an unusually sweet sleep-exceptional all round.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank shaun174
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Stayed here last weekend whilst working at a local Show. Great food! Busy location...but well organized. The food came out prompt and was piping hot. Rooms are well furnished warm and comfortable. Will stay here again

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Johnny O

Been to Wallis Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!