“Okay b&b, good real ales & food”

The Pelican Guest House
and 1 more site!
The Pelican Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Tacolneston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This b&b was described as "luxurious" and quite simply it isn't. The carpet on the stairs leading to the rooms was filthy, our room was furnished with some 1970's "costs next to nothing at the action" furniture, so ignore that superlative and you have perfectly OK b&b accommodation with comfortable beds, clean bathroom, tea making facilities & TV in a quiet location. The cooked breakfast was very good, but no fresh fruit or yoghurt were offered with the basic offering of cereals. At £75 I would say it was no more than fair value. I certainly wouldn't have been happy to pay more.
There was a good choice of real ales for beer drinkers and food in the evening was good with generous portions.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil P

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here with two friends for Fri and Sat eve. The pub was nice and the staff were good. The beer was good and I'm told the wine was fine also. The food really wasn't bad at all.
Where I take issue is the fact that both on their website and in the room bumph, they bill the 3 guest rooms as "Luxury". No they weren't! The carpets in the hall and stairs leading to the rooms were old and filthy and the carpets in the rooms weren't much better. The beds did not look old so assume that they were just very cheap, since you could feel every spring. The shower controls were loose to the point that you could not adjust the temperature, hot or hot. The soap dish fell off if you dared to put soap in it. And the breakfast??
Well let's just say that it did not match the bar meals!!
I don't normally bother to write bad reviews, but honestly, if a place calls itself Luxury you are entitled to expect a clean carpet, comfortable bed, a shower that works and an edible breakfast.
Put it this way, all of us stuck to cereal on the second morning.
Eat here if you will, but don't stay.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PoisFisher
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked this Inn for a one night stay and after the initial mix up and confusion caused by laterooms.com the owner kindly offered us an alternative room. We were late arriving and quickly showered then went down for the evening meal. The food was first class and cooked to perfection. We followed up with a night cap in the extensive garden before retiring for the night. The room was spotless and very comfortable and my wife slept like a log. Unfortunately I was awoken around 1 am by a lightning storm and spent a very uncomfortable rest of the night with a strange feeling which I cannot explain ?
We arose early the next morning and had a very pleasant hour in the garden before having a well cooked full English which again was delicious. This Inn is around 500 years old and is full of character and very well worth a visit for the first class food and comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: The old rooms in the original building are full of "character"
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Sister and I took elderly mother for her birthday. Was my first time there and will definitely go back. The beef sirloin Sunday roast was absolutely delicious, could cut the beef with the fork. Huge portion, perfectly cooked, served with side dish of vegetables (again perfectly cooked). Sister and mother had Indian spiced lamb, apparently a new addition the menu, and both really enjoyed it.

Would go as far as saying this was the best roast dinner I've had for a long time.

Service was friendly. Restaurant was quiet. Decor was smart and comfortable.

Would highly recommend

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We popped in for a hurried meal, our time was short and we were seated and served straight away, our food was great and although we wouldn't usually rush so much , we were happy it was quick! We shall return for a less hurried visit as it seems we have stumbled upon a real norfolk gem :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have had the pleasure of visiting the Pelican a few times now, I have to say its a beautiful place, the food quality is always outstanding and service always really friendly.

There is a lovely garden too for the extra special days in the sunshine.

I am looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We went in a party of 4 following a visit a few months ago when everything was fine. We were therefore surprised by happenings on this visit. I ordered a sirloin steak but when it arrived it was a rib eye steak. I don't like rib eye and this steak was awful anyway as it had thick lines of fat running through it and one area was all fat. I do not understand why a chef would want to serve it.

As a result I complained and was then told there had been a mis print on the menu and they do not have any sirloin. I was offered a food replacement but this of course meant a wait when the idea was to have a meal with my friends and not afterwards.

I asked for the menu again and then had to wait a while for them to get one for me. Also despite having to wait for food I was not offered a complimentary drink. I got the impression they do not really care although I did get an apology. I did not feel valued and decided to see the manager but was told he was not on the premises. The waitress did not ask for my name so he could contact me. I felt even less valued and was feeling stressed. Eventually the person in charge who was working on the bar came to see me and I explained what happened. He was sorry and we did not have to pay for the food we had.

This was a minor problem that got out of hand because of poor uncaring service in my opinion. As a result I would certainly not want to visit this pub again especially because of al the very good eating establishments in the area particularly the Bird In Hand pub in the next village.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MartinWanger

Been to The Pelican Guest House? Share your experiences!