“By far the nicest B&B we have stayed in”
Review of Riverside Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doolin
Riverside Cottage
Ranked #19 of 56 Doolin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We chose this B&B because of its clost proximity to the wee village but were thrilled by the standard. The old house has been moderniised inside in a very tasteful and comfortable fashion. It was the best bed we have experienced since leaving home and the bedding was pretty, puffy and cosy. Breeda was warm and welcoming and made us feel welcome in her home, more so than other B&Bs where we felt like paying guests. She has great local knowledge and is obviously thought of well in her community. We chose the locally smoked salmon off the breakfast and it was delicious, as was the home made bread I saw coming out of the oven and the truly fresh fruit salad we had with cereal. The Cliffs of Moher are 10 minutes drive away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank gnilloc

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We revisited Doolin recently and we were pleasantly surprised.The standard of accomodation is extremely high.This cottage preserves its orginal facade but has every comfort inside.It is tastefully decorated .A warm welcome with tea .Excellent breakfast with fresh fruit and a choice of cooked breakfast.Breda and her daughter were very helpful.It is right in the heart of things.The amazing cliff walk nearby good centre for exploring the Burren and plenty of pubs with delicious food.Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank maura c
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Riverside Cottage is a lovely B&B in Doolin. It sits on the main road near O'Connor's Pub and The Sweater Shop. The location is perfect for accessing the pier if you want to take a cruise to the Aran Islands or the Cliffs of Moher, or a walking tour. It is within walking distance of the other pubs in town, including McDermott's and McGann's, Fitz's Bar, a market and other dining options.

Owner, Breda Meehan, takes pride in her domain and with the help of her daughter, cooks up a delicious Irish breakfast, complete with a big bowl of fresh fruit. You need this fruit because you will be eating a lot of protein in Ireland, unless vegetarian, and the only other thing vegetable wise is the grilled tomato that is standard to Irish breakfast. Coffee or tea is an option along with dry cereals.

True to her word, Breda remembered to give us a piece of her rhubarb tart with our breakfast one morning, after I had remarked the evening prior that something smelled good and inquired as to what she was cooking. That made this visit all the sweeter because it was like her autograph on my memory.

Our room was a Twin Room- quite large- with two beds, one double and one single. To translate, the double bed is synonymous with a Queen size bed and the single is a Twin. I was confused by this when initially shopping for a place to stay. We used the twin bed to throw our coats on and slept in the double, which is very comfortable. Fluffy comforters in soft pastels, white modern Shaker style furniture and wood floors gave the room a clean open feel. The bathroom is modern with a good shower and not much counter space for toiletries. We used the back of the toilet and the dresser top so it was no big deal. The space is very clean.

The one problem we had was that our skeleton key did not work well in the lock to our room. The owner was able to jiggle it and work the door open and we did have to sequester her to do so a few times because we just could not get it to budge. The only time it really frustrated me was when I left my sidekick at the pub down the road with some new friends and I made my way back to the B&B after a walk through town, to shower for dinner and music at O'Connor's. I had to pee and was unable to unlock the door to our room and no one was around. I tried a few times and finally after a few curse words and a lot of deep breaths and looking through the keyhole to our room as if I could peer my way through, I got in!

Stay here. Though a bit more expensive than other choices in the area, it is worth it for location, a delicious breakfast with fresh fruit and sleeping in a clean, comfy bed, all due to the pride the owner and her family take in this establishment. If you get Room 3, just ask her if she has fixed the lock- wink ;)

Room Tip: Don't shy away from a "Twin Room". It just means there are two beds and one of them m...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LF0
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in April (24th & 25th). We absolutely loved this B&B! Breda and her daughter were very friendly and helpful with their recommendations on which of the Aran Islands we should visit. Breda always offered us tea and had a fire in the fireplace. The bed in our room was so comfortable that it made it hard to get out of bed in the morning:) Breakfast was yummy and a great location too. I would definitely stay here again! I highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank KatieTravelstheworld
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Wonderful way to start our stay in Ireland. Breda and her daughter were so welcoming. Lovely modernized 200 year old family farmhouse. Do not be fooled by plain outside, inside is very warm and inviting. Upon arrival we were offered tea and biscuits by the fireplace. Irish breakfast was lovely. Breda was so helpful planning a scenic (no tour bus) trip through the Burren ending with us on the ferry headed to Dingle. Would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Michael J
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My fiance and I absolutely loved Riverside Cottage. The rooms were incredibly comfortable and Breda and her daughter did an immaculate job of making us feel welcome! They arranged a Burren tour for us, recommended the best spots for food, and seemed to share in our delight as we experienced their wonderful village of Doolin. The room was quite possibly the most comfortable we have ever experienced and the decor was tasteful and lovely. You really feel at home at Riverside Cottage. Make sure you bring your appetite, Breda cook's one heck of a traditional Irish breakfast!

An added bonus is that there are only 3 rooms, so you can really escape the tourist feel!

Room Tip: All room's are perfect and cozy!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Erin O
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My daughter and I loved staying at Riverside Cottage. It is a 200 year old farmhouse that has been renovated without losing any of it's charm. The rooms are well decorated, comfortable, and immaculate. Breeda welcomed us with a pot of tea. She was very friendly and eager to give us suggestions for the rest of our trip. Breakfast was wonderful . The house is next to shops and O'Conner's Pub-great food and live music. Doolin is very close to the Cliffs of Moher, which was a highlight of our trip. We highly recommend this B&B. You won't be disappointed!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family