“charming guest house”

Ballinalacken Castle Country House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Doolin
Reviewed 15 October 2012

stayed here for one night, 9-20-12. arrived on a misty grey Irish day. The inn is very pretty with stunning views of the ocean and the cliffs of Moher. Ceclia was wonderful (as was everyone we encountered, helping us with our luggage etc) My room was nice with a shiny clean bathroom and a garden view. my 2 travel companions each rec'd upgrades ( I booked in Jan and Ceclia was kind enough to upgrade us) one had a room with a four poster bed and a stunning ocean view , and the other rec"d a huge suite. Beds were comfy and breakfast in the lovely dinning room were great. also got a tour of the castle ruins , that made our day.
I would recommend this charming country house.
Jill

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 October 2012

This small hotel is located a couple of miles from the nearest pub (I am still not sure where Doolin really starts but their are pubs before you get to what I think was the town and certainly long before you get to the pier.) and another mile or so from the pier where the boats leave for the islands. While you are not close to the ocean the views out to the ocean and the islands are impressive. The owners were very nice and responded quickly to our request for a portable heater. They also provided directions for walks in the area though the portion of the burren way located less than 50 yards from the entrance to the property proved to be a small road not a path - in fact most of the burren way turned out to involve walking along little used roads.

While I founds the owners to be helpful the room, other than the view it offered, was a bit disappointing. It was large enough but a bit worn around the edges and the mattress was a bit lumpy. The common areas were a better but putting a computer in the bar, which was quite dark, rather than the lounge made using it more difficult than it should have been. This is a nice enough place to stay if you are in the area but I expected a bit more for the price paid.

Breakfast was good and the dinner was better than any of the meals I had in the doolin area.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view.
9  Thank jsthouston
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ballinalacken for a second time for a few nights' peace and quiet before a big family trip to Ireland. We had stayed at Ballinalacken for a few nights on our honeymoon and were thrilled to find it even more welcoming, if possible. We mentioned it was almost our anniversary and we had stayed there for our honeymoon; we were pleasantly surprised by a knock on the door the night of our arrival with a champagne toast and a note from the staff wishing us a happy anniversary! We ate at the restaurant again, which has not disappointed us, and the food was to die for. We were able to watch the sun set over the Aran Islands while we ate our candlelit dinner; you couldn't ask for a nicer dining experience.

Incredibly impressed by the thoughtfulness of the staff this time, even more than the first trip - not only did we get a little toast, but our phone rang one evening asking if we'd like to tour the castle, since the owner was taking another couple up. So thrilled we got to explore the castle a second time, and it was so nice of Declan and Cecelia to think to include us!

This is such an exceptional little guest house - the castle, the food, the views, the staff. It's got everything. Ballinalacken is one of my favorite places in the whole world and holds a special place in my memories. Please don't pass it by!

Room Tip: I don't think I saw a room with poor view - ask for a sea view if you want to be sure.
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My fiance and I enjoyed our two nights at the Ballinalacken. The accommodations were what wereexpected. The service was excellent and the location with the views of the ocean were amazing. We had an early flight arrival into Shannon and Ceceilia was gracious enough to allow us an early check in to allow us to get a little settled after the overnight flight from Newark, NJ. We had two wonderfully, delicious breakfasts and a fabulous dinner in the dining room one evening. The food and service were great. We finished each of our evenings in the on site bar enjoying a Guiness talking to Declan. Overall a great stay and would recommend highly.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We went to Ireland for our honeymoon and we needed a place to have breakfast the morning of our arrival before touring County Clare and checking into our rental cottage. I emailed Cecilia at Ballinalacken Castle and she was so nice. She said she would reserve us a special table. The location of the castle/hotel is beautiful! When we arrived, we were given a table in front of a big window. The view was INCREDIBLE!!! You could even see the Cliffs of Moher. Breakfast was amazing also!! It was the perfect way to begin our honeymoon in Ireland! When we return to Ireland in the future, we will most likely stay at the hotel for at least one night because of the great experience we had this time.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

My husband and I loved this guest house with views of the ocean, woods, and castle. We had a large, lovely room with fireplace and antique furniture, and enjoyed the included breakfast and supper option, which offered delicious food in a dining room with nice views.

Our favorite part was the private tour guests were offered of the castle ruins, as the sun was setting -- a real treat!

Room Tip: We chose a small room to keep costs low, but were upgraded to a suite -- nice!
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I went to Ireland in May 2011 (not Oct but didn't have a choice that far back for this review) with some friends. My late husband's lineage was Irish and he'd been several times before we got together and he and I never got to go. My friend's husband planned this trip for her 40th birthday but emailed me to ask me to join as a surprise. Things fell into place with money the week before the trip and I booked about 10 days ahead only because I found a great deal on flights. I stayed in the same B&Bs they did during the trip except the last 3 nights because there were no more rooms there. Happened to find Ballinalacken on the web and I got the seaview room as a treat to myself, again because I thought the price was great. I woke up each morning with a view of the Cliffs of Moher from one window and the Aran Islands from the sitting area! I could literally open my eyes in the morning and see these beautiful sights from my bed! The room was cozy and the staff were extremely friendly. Cecilia (owner's wife as I recall) even gave me a ride into town when she got off work to pick up her children from school! A short walk to Doolin Cave.

Room Tip: See if you can get the suite with the conservatory/sitting area. Breathtaking view!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doolin
Hotel Doolin
#1 of 9 in Ennis
Vaughan Lodge
Vaughan Lodge
#1 of 5 in Lahinch

Been to Ballinalacken Castle Country House? Share your experiences!