We stayed 2 nights at this hotel and loved it. Yes, some of the furnishings are a bit tired in the old part of the building, but this is not a characterless chain hotel. Our room had a fantastic four poster bed and antique style furniture, plus a sitting area, amazing views from the huge bay window and an en-suite. The cream carpet was immaculate as was most of the room (apart from a cobweb behind the tv!) although it did smell a little musty - well, it is a Victorian building! The towels were white, fluffy and big enough to wrap round yourself.
The service was great - friendly, but not pushy and the food was the best we have had in Ireland (maybe even the world and we've stayed at some of the world's best! My hubby also works in food quality.) The breakfast was to die for - melt in the mouth scones and perfect scrambled eggs. Plenty of choice too.
We arrived late (due to my hubby's map reading) and Declan was happy to put our dinner reservation back 45 minutes to give us a chance to freshen up. Our order was taken over a drink in the lounge and we were brought some delicious canapes. Even the breads brought to accompany the meal were gorgeous. My husband said his chicken starter was the best he had ever had and his seafood platter contained a prawn that was more the size of a langoustine!
My only small complaint would be that the bed was quite uncomfortable and creaked loudly! And my only regret is that we didn't get a chance to enjoy a drink in the bar as we were too tired. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone and it was the best value place we stayed in Ireland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ballinalacken Castle Hotel Doolin is one of the leading Castle Hotels Ireland with views of Cliffs of Moher. This Clare Hotel has an award winning restaurant and is the best place to eat in Doolin. It would be difficult to find a more beautiful place on the West Coast of Ireland in which to wake up. The Ballinalacken has been described in the press as one of the finest located houses in Europe. Our guest rooms offer spectacular panoramic views of the Aran Islands, the Cliffs of Moher and Galway Bay. A 15th Century Castle ruin of the O'Brien Clan stands imposingly beside the Ballinalacken Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Ballinalacken Castle Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ballinalacken Castle Country House Hotel Doolin
- Ballinalacken Castle Country Hotel
- Ballinalacken Castle Country Doolin