“Right in the middle of the two "Doolins"”

Riverfield House B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doolin
Riverfield House B&B
Ranked #49 of 53 Doolin B&B and Inns
Long Beach, California
“Right in the middle of the two "Doolins"”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

In terms of comfort we found the Riverfield House to be quite nice. Our triple was comfy (2 queen beds, not doubles), spacious enough, and quiet. At 90 Euro for a triple it was 15 less than anything the Tourist Information office across the street could get, and the woman working there said we'd never find anything less than 105 in Doolin. Ten minutes later we had, right across the street. Breakfast was the typical Irish breakfast with some cereal and juice. The proprietor let us use her clothesline to hang some of our stuff on (Ireland doesn't have much in the way of self-serve laundries so you gotta hand wash when you can). She was excellent with info about the area, the Aran Islands communities, Doolin's music scene, and it happened that we were there on the eve of St. John the Apostle's Day when the Doolinites light up huge bonfires that can be seen out on the islands, and the Aranites likewise to be seen in Doolin. She explained the history of that, the impact of The Famine on the area and the Arans, and gave us a delightful route up to The Burren that led to unsurpassed views of the nearest of the Arans and beautiful views of the coastline the next day. At night crazy two-storey fires were burning away outside the pubs with a couple hundred people drinking and carousing in honor of the Apostle (and in combination with some much more ancient pagan ritual centered on the solstice), while music cranked away inside. I think the proprietor's sense of humor may be lost on some people, and at heart I believe she is actually quite kind. She has a sarcasm that, even when it was aimed at me, was clearly not meant to be cruel. I'm a bit sarcastic meeself, so I don't mind it and try not to be too touchy about that sort of thing. And regarding the sign in the breakfast room about some guests bringing joy by leaving (the first part... also on her sign, is that "some guests bring joy when they enter"), that was the second time I'd noticed a sign like that. The other was at a different B&B. I didn't take it personally either time. Perhaps it's a wee bit of the Irish bein' Irish, i.e., truthful, that brings offense. Also, this woman and her family don't just run the Riverfield House, they live there. It's the west coast of Ireland, a country famous for rain. I'm not sure I'd want people traipsing into my house with muddy boots. The entranceway to the building has a small atrium, let's call it a mud room, that is meant to house a person's muddy footwear in the case of sloppiness outside. Personally I don't see a problem with that. I placed my own boots there (nobody stole them!). Travel to East, Southeast, or Southwest Asia, or Eastern Europe, you don't wear shoes into a person's house in those places. No biggie. We don't wear 'em in our house and neither do our guests. There are rules in people's houses. And all-in-all I would say she was smitten with my wife and daughter, and kinda liked me as well. The Riverfield is perfectly located in walking distance between the two parts of Doolin (you gotta go to Doolin to understand the strange make up of the town/s known as "Doolin.") Free WiFi throughout.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed there for one night-me and my friend(both preg ladies. The house is located centrally which is a plus. The rooms are neat, beds comfy enough, tea/coffee facilities hidden well as if you werent supposed to use them..The house is full of weird notices like "Good morning let the stress begin" and "Some guests bring joy as they leave" etc- not a v nice ambience. The owner seemed awkward when taking order for breakfast, I felt like if she wasnt happy we wanted to eat at all! The worst came at the end- we have checked out and went for a few hrs trip. On the way back we wanted to have a tea in the pub situated just opposite the B&B. As the car park was full and the spaces in front of this B&B was empty we decided to leave our car there. We tried to look for the owner to ask but she wasnt anywhere around. Went to eat a soup, after 30 mins we came back to our car and the owner literally attacked us giving out we were trespassing. I said- but we stayed here today, she kept giving out, really rude, and walked away when i was still talking to her. I would not go back to that place- you can get a fab treatment and a much nicer rooms for same price in Doolin!

Room Tip: I would not go back there, there is no positive energy in this place!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anna19_80_01
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Initial impressions were good. Nice house spacious clean rooms, very welcoming host. Then I started to see notices pinned up it seemed everywhere, take your shoes off, guests only in rooms kick out time etc. Towels were very thin and even threadbare. Supplied toiletries can only be described as minimal.
The" guest lounge" appeared to be mainly for show contrasting a set fire place that looked as if it had ever been lit in it's life, an old styleTV that could not get any channel connected to an equally old video player(didn't realise any still exsisted)
The heating never came on, the owner just told us it was on a time switch and would be on in a few minutes, it didn't the room remained cold. We discovered the next morning or heater had been turned off by a previous guest

The home is in a great location very central, the beds were very comfortable and well equipped with bed linen, just as well as it was the only way to get warm. There is wifi which works well. Breakfast was excellent
Overall a bit disappointing after what we have experienced at other similar priced b&bs in Ireland

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barry W
Narberth PA
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Doolin is a picturesque town with great pubs for food and music. Our stay included a visit with Catrina at Riverfield House B&B. Her home is lovely, the breakfast was fabulous. And Catrina was warm and welcoming!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife and I and our 7 adult children and spouse just finished a 9 day tour and adventure to Ireland. We asked the kids for spots they like to see and one of our musician sons said Doolin. Wow, what a pick. The pick became even better after we arrive Riverside House and met Catrina. Wow again. An Irish welcome from beginning to the end. Couldn't be more gracious and accommodating. Our best night might have been walking at night in the rain to the unique pubs with their great music. Great room, great food and clean clean clean

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank burrcat
Lenzburg, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We spent two nights there, got great advice on where to go for daytrips and where to eat for dinner. Very friendly owner, clean ensuite room, great breakfast choices. We can recommend this B&B to anyone who wants to go to the Cliffs of Moher, Shannon airport (1hr drive) or the Burren.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Chester, New York, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Stayed twice, accomodations were en suite one time and shared bath the other. Always clean, accomodating, gracious and more like an aunt than someone I was doing business with. She treated me like family and called me "one of our own" when I told her I was there doing family research and gave her my family surname (Clohessey).
The food was good, the location spectacular and walking distance to some of the best, old fashioned, good Irish music I have ever heard. You get your money's worth staying in Doolin anyway, they have the best amateur musicians I was to find anywhere in the country.
Well worth every penny you have to pay to stay with Catriona. Best host I had in Ireland.
(I sayed a few years ago but this survey only goes back 12 months)

Room Tip: En suite is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends