“If you value hospitality, this is the place to stay in Doolin!”

Flanagan's Village Hostel
Flanagan's Village Hostel
“If you value hospitality, this is the place to stay in Doolin!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed at Flanagan's Hostel for the Doolin Folk Festival and spent a total of 5 nights here. The owner of the hostel, Buddy Flanagan, as well as his family, know how to make you feel right at home and provide you with complimentary breakfast and tea/coffee throughout your stay. The common room is very homely and contains a few comfy chairs to stretch out in, around a warm fireplace. I found the facilities to be clean, dormitory rooms spacious and felt secure throughout my stay here. I highly recommend Doolin Folk Festival, there was a wide array of music and many of the bands play more gigs in the surrounding pubs - keep an eye out for this event in June 2014! Buddy is happy to answer any questions you might have about sight seeing and is a great story teller, as well as knowing a lot about traditional Irish music and will even play some for you on request! You are only a 2 minute walk from McGann's Pub and McDermott's Pub and approx 15mins from Doolin's Tourist Info Centre. If you want a hostel that feels like a home away from home, look no further! If I am lucky enough to return to Ireland one day, I will be staying here again!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank sabear87

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This hostel is brilliant, I stayed here with two friends and the owner Gerard couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. He is really friendly and has extensive local knowledge of the area and of the music sessions in the village. We even had a couple of tunes together! Just after we arrived he was giving Irish dancing lessons in the turf fire heated common room.
Our room was warm, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast of cereal, tea, toast and jam. Also a great location. Highly recommend visiting here.
We will certainly be back to stay!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LilyG920
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

After a mix up with busses, we arrived here a day late and were the only people here (off season). The owner could not do more for us, offering tea, toast, all linen, breakfast and even cabbages from his garden. He is a true local with a big heart. We were in a private room and thoroughly impressed with the value for money and atmosphere. Was also toasty warm on a cold night. Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Brittflinn
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My friend Elena and I stayed here for one night during our trip in the countryside of West Ireland and we had a great time. Our room was spacious (we opted for a double bedroom with another bunk-bed and had no other people to share it with, so plenty of space) and clean, the bathroom and the kitchen were also very clean. The sitting room was very warm and the day we arrived, Gerard was playing nice Irish music along with some other folks. Breakfast was also very good: cookies, bread and jam, milk with cereals, coffee and tea...

Gerard has been an exquisite host, very generous, warm and helpful. We had an interesting chat with him, where he explained us all of the changes and improvements he's planning to make to the hostel. He can teach you how to play Irish music, how to dance traditional Irish dancing and of course he can tell you everything about what to visit in Ireland.
I definitely recommend to stay at Flanagan's hostel not only because you will have a warm and clean place where to sleep, but also because you will have the chance to taste a bit of real Irish life with the locals. Would definitely stay here again if I went back to Doolin :-)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diana837
Florence, Oregon
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was my first hostel I have ever been to, and I was under the impression it would be an uncomfortable and dirty place, somewhere to sleep and nothing else, but I was very very wrong. My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights at the very beginning of our trip (she is from England and I'm from the us) Gerald was very welcoming, ran us through the need-to-knows and left us to settle in. He was great with giving us directions to places and advice on the pubs and music scene. After reading the other reviews I realized that I was one of the fortunate since I got to here him playing music.

Everything was wonderfully cleaned (I'm a house cleaner in the states so I'm pretty picky). There is always coffee and tea available as well as a free light breakfast in the morning which is a huge plus!

Location was great as well! Very easy to find and close to everything! 3 pubs within 5 minutes walk (so no driving after!)

While we were staying here there was also a large group from Germany staying. The last night, and we all pretty much stayed in for the majority of the time and played card games, dinner, and then he gave some if us a quick dancing lesson.

Awesome experience which I will surely repeat! We left this morning and headed to Dublin, and I already miss the quiet relaxed atmosphere there.

I would recommend to friends and family ! I can't express how wonderful it was compared to what I expected.

(sorry for typos, I'm on a new phone but wanted to make sure I got this review posted)

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Emmnemms
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Was here for near a week in late April this year and found this a most convenient location to get right into the heart of Doolin's music (and experiencing The Burren in general - though a car is helpful for that). Gerald is a great host, generous and willing to facilitate - even refusing to charge for some of the breakfast supplies he provided. Tariff is very reasonable. Gerald is involved in the local music scene, including very much the Centre across the road. He's often too busy with chores to get going on his music, but just ask. Facilities are excellent - kitchen, common room, parking.
Jim, Australia