“A pity to stay just 1 night!”
Review of Daly's House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doolin
Daly's House
Ranked #1 of 53 Doolin B&B and Inns
Bologna, Italy
“A pity to stay just 1 night!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We were 3 with 2 very lovely rooms and a wonderful big bathroom with shower and bathtube; Susan took care of us as if we were old friends, giving suggestions and useful tips to have the best of our day at Cliffs of Mohers: un unforgettable stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Silvia1969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Vancouver
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I wanted to write a quick review of Daly House, although you can see from the comments written by other guests what a great place this is to stay. It is spotlessly clean, the breakfasts are awesome, the location is perfect . . . . but what really makes Daly's House the best place to stay is Susan herself. She is a hostess extraordinaire. Never mind the welcome glass of wine when we arrived or the coffee & baileys when we returned from the Aran Islands, the most memorable part of our stay was Susan's sense of humour and her happy & welcoming nature.
When you travel, it is the people you remember the most, and we will certainly remember Susan and our experience at her lovely home. Many thanks.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VioletVancouver
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Words cannot adequately express how wonderful our two nights at Daly's House were. My suggestion...make your reservation today! Susan, who enfolds every visitor into her momentary family of travelers, has a beautiful B&B. Our room was immaculate, spacious and beautiful. Our view was amazing. The grounds were well manicured but homey. Through her enthusiasm for Doolin and life, Susan gave important information and helpful advice that made us feel as if we were part of the community. Breakfast was an event. The food was varied, plentiful and tasty but more importantly our breakfast companions were introduced to us by Susan and a natural flow of conversation ensued. Doolin is a wonderful place and Susan's Daly's House is Heaven in Doolin.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LAB2013
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

My husband, young adult son, teen daughter, family friend and I stayed with Susan for the last two nights at her wonderful and welcoming home. She is warm, helpful and funny. I had booked before our friend decided to join us and neglected to inform Susan. She made up the extra room and charged us a very reasonable extra fee. Thank you for that! The rooms were comfortable and had every thing we needed. The breakfast was sumptuous. Just a lovely stay and we can't wait to return!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fernhil1
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 August 2014

First, I have to make a fervent suggestion to anyone visiting Doolin: make SURE you are arranging to have a CAR while you are there. Or a bicycle if you are fit. I did neither and walked nearly everywhere I needed to get for the whole stay. That made exploring most of the local attractions pretty hard to arrange. That said, I'd have been happy to nestle in at Daly's House the entire time.

As I came into town on the bus, our delightful host, Susan Daly, sent her affable husband out to the Doolin Hostel to pick me up (in the rain) when I arrived. Susan took one look at my soggy state and prescribed a Bailey's and coffee - perfect! While I waited for the kettle, I delighted in the lovely sitting rooms and the scenic views. Seeing her extravagant and vibrant front garden through the windows made me determined to spend some time out there, rain or shine. The coffee came right away, complete with French press and delicious ginger biscuits on a covered tray. As we sat and chatted, she took note of all that I wanted to do in Doolin and suggested additional attractions. When I mentioned I wanted to go horse trekking, she asked all the right questions (experience level, etc) and marched right off to the phone to see if she could book me on a trek (what Americans call a trail ride) in the morning... and then sorted a taxi to get me there and back. Useful tourist information, restaurant menus, etc, are all available to guests there as well. I soon met George, the family dog, who delights in welcoming guests and getting as much hugging and patting as his sweet nature can entice. You know this kind of dog.. he's never met a stranger, only new friends.

I was shown to a cozy room, featuring a bed piled high with what look very much like handmade quilts. The en-suite bath featured a walk in shower and plenty of room, and was modern and lovely. No limits on hot water! JOY!! Gadget-wise, there was an electric adapter for my phone, television and free wi-fi. The room was wonderful except it was a bit too snug for both myself and my too-big suitcase. If I had been able to arrange it, I'd have brought an overnight bag for the two nights I stayed.

Once settled, I needed dinner badly; That's when I started to realize that Doolin is a drivers' town. After I hiked down "to town" for dinner and came back, I was overjoyed to see and smell a roaring fire in the sitting room fireplace. It really didn't matter that it was June 9th; the fire was so inviting and lovely. After a bit, I settled in for glorious restful sleep. The windows are set so that you can have fresh air all night without worrying about rain getting in.

The morning's highlight without question is the breakfast - choices like a full Irish fry-up or deadly delicious French toast are yours AFTER you've indulged in cereals, yogurts, fresh fruit, bread and local cheeses, and the excellent French press coffee. Susan's sister, Terry, who's just as sweet as Susan herself, cooks up a storm in that kitchen and every bite is first-rate. I did a bit of poking around and found that the House is full of small private dining areas tucked in around this corner and that, and if I counted correctly, Terry could be cooking for up to fourteen people in the mornings. I'd last a week at her job and would check right into a rest home afterward. I dined in Susan's breathtaking three (four?)-season room and enjoyed the views, the gorgeous decor and the lovely company. There is no doubt that Daly's House means to feed you up so well that you don't even think of food until dinner.

I cannot say for sure which delighted me more, the beauty of the house or the amazing gardens. June was definitely the time to see the gardens at their best, and I enjoyed many a stroll out there, giving my camera the workout of its life. The scenery all around (castle towers, the Cliffs of Moher, expansive views) made all the many "forced hikes" to town and back very pleasant, but I was happiest tucked into the quiet beauty of Daly's House.

On the day I left, I experienced one regret: As other guests and I were concluding our stays, Susan began to tell some wonderful stories. It seems her enormous family chose to travel to Spain en masse, right at the time of one of the most dangerous heat waves the country had experienced in years. Hearing how various of her relatives and she coped with the insane heat had all of us howling with laughter. How I wish I had gotten her to tell stories the whole time. I suspect if she wrote a book it would be full of laughs. If the two sisters I met are indicative of the family's character (Didn't she tell me her grandfather founded O'Connor's Pub down the road?), there must be decades of adventures worth recounting.

This trip was my first experience with B&B's. The warmth and the personal service was new and (had I not read reviews of the place before I came) would have been surprising. I never expected to feel like I was saying goodbye to a new friend when I left. Susan is both brilliant as a host and warm and caring as a person. It doesn't matter if she met you ten years or ten minutes ago - she engages with you as an individual, not just one of her many, many guests. I, for one, never perceived her as a professional doing her job as a host and ambassador of Doolin - her dealings with me always, every second, felt friendly and personal. Yet she does better at this than a friend would do - she's just plain excellent at getting you what you want out of Doolin.

I can't imagine anyone not loving this place. If you're going to Doolin, book your car first, then book your room at Daly's House. You'll be comfortable, well fed and concierged to within an inch of your enjoyment threshhold.

Room Tip: I don't think you can get a bad room - the views in any direction are beautiful and nobody's...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank RBerkowitz
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family of 4 (husband and 2 kids, 10 and 12) spent two nights with Susan at her beautiful house in the charming village of Doolin. From making the arrangements all the way through our departure, Susan was the BEST at welcoming us, providing numerous suggestions for places to visit and see, and providing the most lovely accommodations and breakfasts for the four of us. She is also full of wonderful stories not to be missed on an afternoon in her gorgeous gardens! The location is perfect, just a short walk from the famous Gus O'Connors pub, where the music was the best we heard on our whole 2-week trip to Ireland. I would recommend Daly's House to anyone visiting Doolin!

Room Tip: For our family of 4, Susan provided us two rooms across the hall from each other at the top of the s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shelley R
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 8 August 2014

What a great time we had staying at the beautifully decorated Daly's House. Susan was wonderful...so full of life and laughs that made our "sisters adventure" (from Hawaii) even more memorable. Breakfast was sumptous! We loved strolling down the lane to the neighborhood pub for our dinner and music.
Enjoyed meeting her husband and their suggestions that there may be some "Irish lads happy to meet us Hawaiian gals" (ha,ha).
A big MAHALO (thank you) for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family