“A place with Character!”
Review of Fisherman's Rest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doolin
Fisherman's Rest
Ranked #31 of 56 Doolin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2013

If you are looking for a unique B&B experience, then Fisherman's Rest is the place for you. Before I continue, I have to say that this experience will not be for all of you. So please consider before you book.

My husband and I headed over to Doolin without booking an accommodation. However, I had read previous reviews about what a character Danny, the owner of Fisherman's Rest, is. I also noted in the pictures that he has a "vacancies/no vacancies" sign outside of his house. This is very handy to tourists, so I urge all B&B owners to get one of these signs.

Anyway, hubby and I drove around Doolin, and did indeed like the location of the Fisherman's rest, and also noted that they had vacancies. So we went up and knocked on the door. The first thing I have to say is that Danny provided us with such a warm and enthusiastic welcome. He was full of chit-chat and jokes right off the bat. He showed us to our room, and we agreed to stay for the night.

The room was super cute and very small... only the basics. This is not a fancy B&B. But, I never really understood why people complain about small rooms. I haven't travelled half way around the world to sit in a room. We got wifi (a little weak, but we were able to check email, do research on attractions/other destinations), and had a very clean en suite bathroom. Note, though, that there was no shower soap or shampoo, nor hair dryer that I saw. However, as we only stayed for one night and didn't need a shower, I didn't ask if he had some for us. So I can't comment on that. If you choose to go here, either ask Danny when you book, or just pack a little of your own.

The view from our room was rolling countryside with sheep and cows, and laundry blowing in the west coast wind. It was very peaceful.

One of the big pluses of Fisherman's Rest is the location. It is a 20 second walk to O'Connor's Pub... a pub where my husband and I experienced the BEST traditional Irish music, and talked to all sorts of people. This was something I wanted to experience, and I got it right around the corner from Fisherman's Rest. the location is also only about a 15 minute drive to the Cliffs of Moher walks, and a 2 minute drive to the place where you can get boat tours of the cliffs and of the Aran Islands. So handy.

Another plus is that Danny told us about a great place to hop over a fence and sit with a view of the ocean, and we loved it.

Breakfast was great - the typical Irish B&B choices and spreads. Danny's wife Mairead was very personable and fun, and cooked us up a good meal. Meanwhile, Danny sat in the room with us, and another guest. We had some good conversation and laughs.

One thing to note is that this B&B may not be for you if you do not like (1) human contact. Danny nudges, shakes hands after poking a joke at you, and otherwise makes contact. And (2), if you do not like a more raw experience and conversation. Danny tended to swear a lot. Not in a crude way, just as a part of speech. Neither my husband nor I minded... it was like we were in a home of a rural family, and they just talk the way they talk without considering us as customers, but rather, as family. But, if you don't like the occasional (or more than occasional) f-bomb being dropped, then maybe this isn't the place for you.

But let me tell you, out off all the B&B's we experienced, this was the most unique and down-to-earth. We really, truly felt welcome, and both hubby and I got hugs upon departing.

We were hoping to stay another night, but Danny was booked up. What we really appreciated though is that Danny told us to get out a map, and he made some suggestions on where to go next. (hubby and I like this kind of travel - no plans, just see where the journey, and suggestions, take you). His suggestions were spot on, and we had the best time. We didn't make it to Northern Ireland, as we liked the places he suggested along the West Coast so much!

Fisherman's Rest is a true gem for those who are seeking something different, and who like to meet real characters. Danny and Mairead - thank you for a memorable stay! xoxox Kim & Brendon, North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Room Tip: I didn't see all of the rooms, but I'm sure they are all good. I read in other reviews that...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GalacticKim

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed with Danny for 3 nights. It was soooo much fun! Danny is like the best friend you never knew you had. As soon as you walk through the door he makes you feel instantly right at home. He is also helpful and hilarious! Breakfast was something we really looked forward to not only because it was delicious but because it was one of the best parts of our trip because we got to hang out with Danny. The B&B is adorable and our room was clean and spacious. Doolin is a wonderful place to stay and if you're traveling here stay with Danny. Seriously!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maggie R
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We flew into Shannon and drove straight to the cliffs because the sun was shining! Afterwards we headed to Danny and his delightful b&b. He was one of the most friendliest hosts and we had a blast! We booked two rooms for the four of us. They were very clean and simple and ours was at the front of the house with beautiful views of the sea. Being our first morning in Ireland we tried all he had to offer on the Irish breakfast. Bitsy the dog played ball and we learned about peat from Danny. His wife was lovely and friendly as well. It was a good start to our Irish portion of our trip! Thanks Danny!

Room Tip: I think we had room number 1 with a view to the sea.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My wife and I stayed with Danny and his awesome family from May 3rd to May 5th. This was among one of our best decision during our whole trip. Location is perfect. The conditions are 5-star. Danny and his wife are perfect hosts. I cannot recommend this location enough!

Room Tip: they are all "the best rooms"
1  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 19 May 2013

...so don't waste time browsing through all the reviews for B&Bs in Doolin. I'm sure they are all nice, but Fisherman's Rest is where you want to stay. The location is perfect, the breakfast is delicious, and we were greeted as old friends by our hosts even though we had never seen them before! Danny is counting on your sense of humour, so be prepared! The rooms are upstairs, some of them ensuite. Our room was very nice, but you're not going to be spending much time there anyway, are you? You'll be downstairs chatting to Danny, or down the pub, which is 2 minutes away. When traveling, meeting people and local culture is as important as sightseeing. You will find real Irish hospitality at Fisherman's Rest. Fantastic value. Highly recommended!

2  Thank EvaN0rway
Reviewed 17 May 2013

very clean and comfortable, but I felt very uncomfortable with Danny being over familar. A hand on my knee while having my breakfast is just a bit much. Expecting to hug and kiss guests is a bit over the top and I was upset for a couple of days about it

3  Thank Suzanne211921
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I visited Ireland with my father and met up with one of his old Irish friends. We drove around Ireland and made our way into Doolin one early evening and decided to find a room. We cam across Danny at Fisherman's Rest. Danny is a great soul and full of life. Three of us stayed, with one of us staying in a provate room with a private bath, the other two in a shared room with a shared bath. The room was clean and there was wifi. The shared bathroom was also clean and well kept. Danny walked us through anything and answered any questions we had. We mentioned we were from Boston area, and he liut up as he lived there some time ago and has many relatives in that area. The breakfast in the morning was very good and we had a few more laughs with Danny before we continued on our travels. If you are in the area and want to hear some good irish music and stay in a lovely B&B, head to O'Connors and stay at the Fisherman's Rest!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends