“Good food and service”

Chervil Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 24 Restaurants in Doolin
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A Place to Dine and a place to indulge yourself.Formerly South Sound Restaurant, the newly refurbished "Chervil Restaurant" serves a superb fusion of Modern Irish and European cuisine and is rapidly establishing itself as one of the finest restaurants along the coastline of Clare.Our Food PhilosophyHere at Hotel Doolin we have a passion for delivering original wholesome and inventive food, wherever possible using local produce, organic and homemade, homegrown ingredients. We keep our own ducks and hens and grow as much of our herbs, salads, vegetables and fruit on site in our gardens and poly-tunnel. North Clare is a haven for foodies with a raft of independent, artisan producers. We are blessed to be surrounded by such an abundance of suppliers of quality produce and enjoy putting their produce on a plate and delivering it to you, our guest.
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Really nice meal. Good quality food. Great service. Excellent "home" brew. Not cheap even given Irish prices.

1  Thank MrW777

Reviewed 18 June 2013

For the price of the menu myself and my girlfriend were less than impressed with Chevril. We were seated and told to expect a slight delay as the kitchen was catering for an event that was going on next door at the same time. Whilst I appreciate that the kitchen may have been busy there was no excuse for the standard of food that came out to greet us.

I ordered the pigs trotter for starter, which came out in the most confusing mish-mash of random ingredients. The trotter, half a salad, some onion chutney, 5 frozen big prawns (billed as langoustines) and 2 hard boiled quail's eggs..all a bit bland and thrown together. My girlfriend had the "langoustine" risotto, again 5 or 6 sneaky prawns letting on to be big lads, didn't fool us. Not a fresh langoustine turned up to the ball.

Onto the main where my girlfriend ordered a rare steak, RARE she said, I was there and I heard her loud and clear. Well the steak that came out was like a welly boot, cooked through. Not even passable as medium. No excuse for that lads, it's a fairly simple thing to make a balls of.

I ordered the monkfish, which again came over-done. It was dry and tough which is a pity as I was looking forward to it, and again, a fairly simple thing to get wrong. The most likely explanation is that the food was par-boiled as they were catering for 2 events at one time. The veg was under-cooked and really hard, which is such a simple thing to get wrong, day 1 stuff.

We went for a dessert to share to try and save the meal. We got a 'chocolate bomb' which was fairly unremarkable. Overall, a fairly dreadful meal, we complained about the steak and the staff were polite and apologetic but when you're paying €20+ for a main course you expect a decent meal.

Nice wine and nice bread was about the height of it. I won't be back, my girlfriend would probably go back because she's a lush and drank most of the wine.

1  Thank Eamon M
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Go there its great - cant wait to go back - I reviewed hotel so thats enough typing - trust me its worth a visit

Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is where I had breakfast (incl.) when I stayed @ the Doolin Hotel. The food was delicious, plentiful. Bear in mind, it is the Chervil auspices only at dinner, but the kitchen and room is the same.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Recently I had my staff party at the Chervil Restaurant. Located snugly in the middle of the Hotel Doolin the Chervil Restaurant was cozy and intimate; there were pictures of locals on the wall which I thought was a nice touch. The food was amazing and I couldn't get enough of the Guinness bread. I tried a bit of everyone's food and I felt it was by far the best seafood I had had in a good while. We had such a great time I think we might have to make it a regular event.