“New Appearance. Clean Rooms!”
Review of The Lodge, Doolin

The Lodge, Doolin
Ranked #29 of 56 Doolin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Lodge in Doolin Ireland is a great location, walking distance from shops, pubs, and tourist shops. We found the rooms clean and the breakfast tasty! We enjoyed ourselves so much we arranged to stay a second unplanned night! Thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms are on a hall. To get wifi - and we were glad to have it - you must be near the center stairs...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Niall and Deird... O, Owner at The Lodge, Doolin, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Dear Carson3238,
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed everything so much that you extended your stay. We hope to see you again in Doolin.

There are newer reviews for The Lodge, Doolin

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a lovely time staying at Doolin Activity Lodge. It was so close to everything including two pubs that had the best live music--we sat so close we were almost part of the band! It was so nice to just have a short walk" home"afterwards. Also getting to the Cliffs was so easy--you could have even walked to them on the trail from the hotel, but I wasn't feeling that adverterous. The bed was huge! From American standards, they were the only bed & breakfast out of 4 to know what a King bed was suppose to be--slept great! Super friendly staff and delicious breakfast, complete with gluten-free options. We had plenty of room to spread out unlike other places, which was so nice so we could repack and sort. We didn't have time to use it, but the lounge in our building would be a perfect gathering space for a group traveling together--it even had a small kitchenette if I remember right, which if I had my kids with would have been great to make sandwiches and snacks. Anyway, really enjoyed it thanks for your hospitality Diedre and Niel.

1  Thank Lisa H

Dear Lisa H,
Thank you for your review of The Lodge.
We are glad you had a positive experience both with us and in Doolin in general, its a great place to live!
Hopefully we will see you in Doolin again!
Best wishes,
Deirdre & Niall

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights here in late June. Deirdre and Niall were very accommodating and were quick with tips as to where to dine and go locally. Thanks to their advice on the Aran Islands ferries we made the most of one day there including a visit to the Cliffs of Moher. The room was very clean and breakfast was terrific (even gluten free toast!). Easy walking distance to restaurants and pubs; McGann's and O'Connors were each a 10-15 minute walk. Price was very reasonable given it's peak season. Next time I get the opportunity to visit Doolin this is where we will stay!! Would definitely recommend.

Dear John O,
Thank you for writing a review of our Lodge, we appreciate all feedback.
I'm glad you had a great time and are happy to recommend us.
All the best,
Deirdre and Niall

Reviewed 21 July 2014

During our tour of Ireland we stayed in 5 B&B's and one hotel, and this one was the most disappointing. I'll start with the good : four of us were travelling, my husband and I, with our sons 13+18. It was good to each have our own Queen size bed. The breakfast was also quite good. Well located and clean. That is where it ends. I had maybe 2 min's with the owner when we checked in, a "hello" "breakfast is upstairs" " your room is that one" (Pointed) and "the lounge was over there". That was the sum total of interaction we had with the owner. We stayed two nights, but I didn't sleep much as the lovely big beds were like card board, couldn't have found a cheaper bedset if I tried (if it cost a lot they were ripped off, most uncomfortable sleep during our two weeks in Ireland) . When my husband tried to shower, the door came off the hinges, he did a make shift 'fix' in order to shower. I did report this to the lady who served breakfast as there was no one in reception. Nothing was done, but we didn't worry as my husband had made a plan. However, 2nd morning, the same thing happened.
Lovely towels and hand liquid soap, but no shower / bath soap. Had to lug the liquid hand wash into the shower. Didn't see the owners the entire time other than the few min's at check in.

Room Tip: Rooms were very spacious but beds were uncomfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DebOC00
Niall and Deird... O, Owner at The Lodge, Doolin, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear DebOC00,
We are disappointed to read your review here but glad that TripAdvisor allows the opportunity for owners to reply and give clarifications to potential guests who read your review.
The clarifications we feel necessary are as follows:
The room you stayed in has 3 king beds, all of which are less than 2 years old, they are high spec Respa Orthopaedic mattresses, a premium Irish brand of mattress, they are often complimented on, I'm sorry they were not to your liking, unfortunately we cannot be accountable for guests individual preferences, and also we could not forsee that the soap provided in our bathrooms was not to your liking.
The shower door became derailed (its not on hinges as described) on your first morning, Niall replaced it on the rails during the day, I'm not sure how you managed to de rail it again on the second morning, it can happen but very rarely. I think perhaps your husband thought the shower doors pushed in as opposed to sliding side to side, I have since put a note up alerting guests to this so thank you for alerting us!
Either Niall or I are in reception each morning from 7.30am to noon, on the off chance we are not in the reception, we are not far away, tending to guests needs/doing laundry etc but there is a phone on the desk where we can be called at any stage.
I myself was in reception on your second morning, I made an attempt to interact with you on your way to breakfast to no avail, I managed a few words with your lovely son!
When your husband came to check out, I had a short conversation with him but he seemed anxious to get on the road and didn't need any assistance with directions etc.
Guest/owner interaction works both ways....we did try.... we are always on hand to tend to guests needs, however, it is fair to say we do not 'crowd' our visitors!
I'm glad you enjoyed the space your room provided, our location, the cleanliness and also the quality of food at breakfast.
Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Ireland.
Deirdre & Niall O'Dwyer

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The family I think voted this was probably the best place we stayed as far as room and privacy( from each other!). They seem to have the ability in some rooms to enlarge and divide rooms as necessary .

The wife is big on clean and she loved this place. Breakfast was great as well.

Wish we could of stayed longer . On a side note if you are exploring get back around 9. There is no food being prepared at the local pubs after 930-10. We found this out the hard way, but not the end of the world.

We went to another town for takeout and then listened to the awesome music.

The cliffs of moher are a 5 star attraction and surpass the hype.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Floridamountsineer
Niall and Deird... O, Owner at The Lodge, Doolin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Floridamountsineer,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Lodge, we really appreciate it.
I'm glad the room arrangements worked well for you, its nice to have a bit of extra space sometimes isn't it?
Thank you for the breakfast compliments, I will pass it on to our chef and your positive comments about the cleanliness of our rooms will also be passed on to my housekeeper.
See you again hopefully!
Best Wishes,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a wonderful B&B in a wonderful location. First of all Doolin is great because there's so much to see in the vicinity and day trips are easy. The Lodge Doolin (they've changed their name) is a family-run B&B and they pay attention to their guests. The accommodations are spacious and comfortable. Ours had a shared living area with TV and full kitchen. Horses grazed in a high pasture right outside my window. Breakfast was wonderful -- continental or full Irish was included. Pubs, shops and the ferry to Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands are short walk (or drive if you'd prefer) away. Highly recommend. They have a website and will gladly quote you their quite reasonable rates!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SouthernLife,
Thank you for your recent review and we are glad everything was to your liking.
We appreciate that you stayed with us and hopefully we will see you again!
I hope the rest of your trip went well.
Best Wishes,
Deirdre & Niall

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The lodge is a nice place with great accommodations. Spacious and clean, and less than 5 minutes from the downtown area. The lodge also has laundry available to the guests (at cost). The breakfast is traditional Irish.

Dear Harbourp,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Lodge.
We are happy to read your enjoyed your accommodation. Our location is great in that we are central to everything but still have a countryside feel to the property.