“Lovely little farmhouse”

Doonagore Farmhouse
Ranked #24 of 56 Doolin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We spent 2 nights at Doonagore Farmhouse recently. The location is fabulous! We were lucky to have 2 relatively nice (although cold!) days in Doolin and we could see all the way to the Aran Islands from our bedroom! It was beautiful! The farmhouse is located very near the Cliffs of Moher and the tiny town of Doolin. Also near by was the Doolin Castle, which isn't much of a castle as it is a tower but it was neat to drive by and you can also see it from the farmhouse. Mary and Pat were very nice and welcoming and Mary cooked a fabulous breakfast! Mary was nice enough to map out a driving route of the Burren for us as well as provide other sight seeing suggestions. The only thing I'd have negative to say is that we didn't sleep that well either night. The first night it was raining and windy and it sounded like it was going to come into our room at any minute. The second night there were people downstairs until 11pm or so and we could hear every word. I can't really fault the owners as it is an older farmhouse so I guess it's a bit excepted. All in all, the place is great, the owners are great, and the location is great. You do have to have a car to get there and around though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room was a sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Doonagore Farmhouse

Reviewed 3 April 2012

There are alot of places to stay in the Doolin area. We stayed here and loved it. Mary the hostess was great. Room was good and location was perfect. Few minutes into Doolin for some great food,drinks and music. Few minutes the other way and you are at the Cliffs. I was affraid to stay at a B&B feeling it may be like an extra room in their house but it was not like that at all. The have an extra wing on the side for the B&B. At breakfast Mary had a place set for us. As soon as we came down she had the stove going. Food was very good. Good rate. Rooms were comfy. Walls a little thin. We carry a fan and never worry about noise. She had a guest book we signed that dated back to the 90's full of people. These folks know what they are doing.

Happy all around.

Room Tip: Doolin was slow in late March. A few of the top restaurants were closed for the season. Local pubs o...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Comfortable accommodations, spacious room, good breakfast, good shower, restful sleep. Plenty of space to spread out. Wish there would have been a kettle in the room. Easy to find and close to the Cliffs of Moher and The Burren. Good value.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed there almost a year ago and am just now getting to the review. This a very warm and welcoming family. Our daughter loved the donkey and the new little baby she had just had. We had a room that overlooked the donkeys and it couldnt have been more perfect for the baby. We did make a mistake of going out to see the other animals with the boys and the dog was quite excited about it and jumped up adn down and by the end of our tour I was covered in dirt/well not dirt. Since we had already been in Ireland about a week we had just laundered all of our clothes, but Mary offered to launder my clothes for me! They were ready for me the next morning clean and ready to go. The one downside that we did expereince here was that in the morning the house seemed to be full adn apparently everyone had showered early, so by the time I went there was no more hot water. Mary assured me that by the time I was done eating my breakfast that there would be hot water and she was right, so in the end it all worked out. We had so much fun staying at this working farm house. We only stayed one night, but the family was beyond friendly, I can see why they have been in buisineess for so long.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I don't know how I managed to not write this review for almost a year. Oh well, better now than never I guess.

Mary and Pat Sweeney are gracious and interesting hosts. Their kids are a lot of fun too. Even the dog is cool. The house is beautiful and restful. If you are into the ancient tombs and stones that cover this part of Ireland, there's a neolithic tomb almost right across the street.
The house is a bit up the hill from the town of Doolin. There are a couple great pubs down by the pier where you can hear music and talk to the locals. If you need a guide, Pat is a good guy to go to the pub with. Also, hen used to play professional sports so he's got some great stories. All in all, this is my favorite place to stay in Ireland.

One other thing I liked is that you can see the Blasket Islands from the farmhouse. If you do a day (or overnight) trip to the Blaskets, you can leave your car at Pat and Mary's place. This is a real Irish family, complete with the world-famous Irish friendliness.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. Just tell Mary what sort of room layout you want.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJSpock
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My wife Pat and I stayed at the Doonagore Farmhouse in August 2010 and had a wonderful stay. Mary and Pat Sweeney are the owners/hosts and they are really great people. The location was convenient, located close to the music venues in Doolin and only a short ride to the spa town of Lisdoonvarna. Also, you can take a boat ride from Doolin over to the Aran Islands and pass by the magnificent Cliffs of Moher on the way back. Simply spectacular to view them from the water! Pat and I also drove up to Galway while we stayed at this B&B. The accommodations were very clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were delicious. Because it's a working cattle farm, we as city folk were treated to a lovely experience with all the animals around. Also fhe views down to the water were nothing short of spectacular. Pat and I would recommend the Doonagore Farmhouse to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We booked ahead for two nights for our family of four, but once we arrived, the boys begged for a third night. We enjoyed interacting with the family members and hearing about their life there. We also enjoyed Nettie the donkey, Daisy the dog and the two kittens.

Pat Sweeney was a wealth of local information and quite the character. Mary Is a delightful and warm hostess and was happy to make porridge when my husband inquired. Declan, the oldest teenaged son, was a kick and kept us laughing. He introduced us to a local Irish comedy show on television that had us all howling.

The rooms were comfy and homey with woodplank floors and country style pine furniture.
The soccer field in the front yard was a bonus for two boys looking to burn some energy.

Location is up the hill from Doolin, which offers a great views and appeals to a quieter crowd than the in-town B and Bs which appeal to the drinking crowd.

All in all, a delight!