“Secluded and peaceful” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Ogden B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Secluded and peaceful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I recently spent a night at Brook House, staying in the Lilac Room.
I had to resort to using my SatNav to find it, as it was dark which made it difficult to see the signs on the road, especially as traffic was busy on the A629, having little patience with a motorist driving slowly enough to find the turnoff. However, it was a fairly straightforward drive, ending along a country lane (which I wouldn't fancy attempting in snow or ice).
Chris opened the gates, helped me with my case, showed me around and then made tea and biscuits, staying to chat for a little while. As the only guest that night, I had the lounge to myself. Christa popped in to say "Hello" but apart from that it was completely quiet - wouldn't have known there was anyone else there.
There was a large bathroom next to my room which I had exclusive use of, as the other rooms are en-suite.
Chris was happy to make breakfast early for me, as I needed to be out by 8 a.m.
The views of the moors were beautiful; I was disappointed that I only saw them briefly because I arrived after dark and had to leave early. Perhaps I will manage another visit sometime when the days are longer ...

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

A stay at Brook House is a hugely rewarding experience. Although close to Halifax, this is a very peaceful location and the house has been renovated and furnished to a very high standard. Chris and Christa have thought hard about the needs of visitors: breakfasts prepared by Chris were outstanding, and anyone without a knowledge of the Bronte legacy will benefit from the books and knowledge that the owners readily share with guests. There was even a comforting coal fire waiting for us in the lounge on our last evening to counteract the miserable October weather. This is a very special place to relax and we were fortunate to find and enjoy it.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrSnappit
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

This is a beautiful house run by lovely people. Not just the norm B&B, Brook house should be a listed building, restored with passion, set in the Bronte hills :) Had a wonderful weekend, helped along by the big english breakfast and monsoon shower!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nunnie_11
Bradford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Today I spent the whole afternoon at Brook House with five friends. Chris welcomed us warmly and we were soon offered a glass of 'bubbly' which we drank in their wonderful garden looking up towards the Ogden wind turbines. Felix the cat joined us, followed by Christa who had been 'slaving over a hot stove' wearing an apron with the message 'I love to cook with wine - sometimes I put it in the food' - a woman after my own heart! Normally, Christa likes to talk to guests after they have eaten, but today she had to leave early for her 'day job' and so we were treated to her knowledge of the Brontes and the surrounding area before we had lunch.

Today was hot so it was rather nice to go inside to eat in the cool dining room. We were given a three course lunch and coffee and everything was delicious! Chris served us and chatted in between courses.

Afterwards, he showed us around the house, which also provides bed and breakfast, afternoon teas, and Bronte evenings. He is obviously very proud of the house and garden, and rightly so! We were invited to stay as long as we wished, but eventually had to tear ourselves away.

The welcome here is second to none - I felt very much at home.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

It was meant to be a trip to discover Haworth, which turned into a wonderfully restful weekend at Brook House. Chris and Christa are amazing hosts. Christa's knowledge about the area and the Brontes made the holiday all the more enriching, as did Chris's guided walk to Ogden Water. And the cream room at the end of the day was just perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
East Anglia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed for a week at Brook House and what a gem! We had a very warm welcome with tea and biscuits with Chris on arrival. Chris and Christa were both very enthusiastic about the area and it's history and have thought of everything to make their beautiful home perfect for their visitors. We stayed in the cream room and couldn't have wanted anything more. It was beautifully furnished and so comfortable with lots of little extra touches such as a jar of yorkshire mixtures sweets and a range of yorkshire parkin and biscuits! The bathroom was gorgeous and included a full range of lovely (full size) toiletries. The bath robes were so lovely I went onto the website and ordered a couple! The views all around were fantastic and the setting was so quiet yet it is less than a mile from the main road and only 4 miles from Halifax town centre, about 5 miles from Haworth and a short drive over the moors from Hebden Bridge.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter R
South Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband booked a break at Brook House as a wedding anniversary surprise. It turned out to be a lovely surprise! As soon as we arrived, Chris showed us to the beautiful French Room, overlooking the moors and golf course. He made us tea and biscuits in the elegant lounge in china teacups. He then asked if we would like to join him on a walk with their 3 dogs. We spent and enjoyable hour's walk around Ogden Water Reservoir and Halifax Golf Course. Being a local, he told us about the history of the area and the 3 mills which once stood nearby. It was lovely to meet Christa on our return too. The breakfast, made by Chris was excellent and just the job for a day's walk up to Top Withins and the reservoirs. They were also able to make us a packed lunch too. After our walk, it was good to take advantage of the silver slipper bath in the adjoining bathroom. There is a lovely view from the bath of the sun setting on the moors. There were lots of smellies and potions provided too - I enjoyed my mustard bath salts! - Christa told me that she is having the bath moved into the French Room shortly. The view should be even better then! We enjoyed a different breakfast each morning in the oriental dining room and were the first to try Chris's eggs benedict! There are several pubs and hotels nearby for evening meals. I was treated to a 7 course tasting menu at the Holdsworth House Hotel for our anniversary. I'm sure we will visit Brook House again. It is the perfect base for walking and visiting Hebden Bridge and of course, for Bronte fans, Haworth.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LinSouthYorkshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ogden
Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Shibden
Crossroads Inn
Crossroads Inn
#1 of 15 in Halifax

Been to Brook House? Share your experiences!