“What a magical place, and so unexpected...”
Review of Belsay Castle

Belsay Castle
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Belsay
Reviewed 10 July 2010

What a magical place, and so unexpected. I dragged my other half here as I was interested in the art exhibition, but neither of us were disappointed. You go up the long drive to a fairly typical Georgian mansion. However, the owner stipulated when he handed the property to English Heritage that it remain untouched, and therefore it's pretty much a blank canvas inside- perfect to display the artworks on show! The gardens are also amazing- set in a disused quarry, they are incredibly atmospheric and make you feel like you've got lost in the time of the dinosaurs! Again, the art was really interesting and fitted in perfectly with the surroundings- the current exhibition (Extroadinary Measures) I think shouldn't be missed, but it is modern art which may not be to everyone's taste I guess. The giant naked man might give a few parents heart attacks! Through the garden is the castle where the owners previously lived-also fascinating, but largely ruins now.
Great value day out- as English Heritage members we didn't have to pay, but if you did I think it was less tban £10. Don't miss the cafe-£5 might seem a lot for a sandwich, but our stotties were HUGE and came with one of the tastiest side salads we'd ever had. Delicious cakes too.
All in all- magical, eccentric, a hidden gem. Don't miss it!!

All reviews
"tea room"
in 5 reviews
"unusual plants"
in 2 reviews
"would recommend a visit"
"interesting history"