“Lovely cakes ”

Blacksmiths Coffee Shop
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Belsay
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: It is at the entrance of Belsay (the English heritage site)
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We went here on Easter Friday after a visit to Belsay Hall. We had been recommended and we weren't disappointed. Cakes were very tasty and the place was immaculate. Belsay Hall and the Blacksmiths coffee shop will now be a regular on my places to visit list !

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Very clean cafe lovely surroundings ... The staff were beautifully turned out and very decent and friendly.... The food was just gorgeous fresh and beautifully cooked ...... Would definitely return

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Visited for the first time this week, I went with friends for lunch. The cafe is in a lovely location with views over the fields from the back seating area. It was quite busy with a constant queue, but service seemed to go smoothly and we didn't wait too long. The menu is typical soup, sarnies, quiche and cakes. As mentioned in other reviews the coffee choice is limited. A waitress buzzed around clearing tables so that they were always ready for incoming customers. I ordered a cheese and ham toastie with tea which cost just under £8. I thought that this was expensive, but less than my friends who paid over £7each for a slice of quiche and pie. The food was fine, but quite ordinary. My friend said that her quiche was very dry.
There were cyclists outside enjoying tea and cakes, and I think I would choose to do this if I return as the cakes did look delicious.

2  Thank Susi C
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We are regular visitors to the blacksmiths but since the new year a change of quality in the food has been very obvious. Starting with the change in the bread for toasted sandwiches. Rubbish compared to previous. The amount of side salad with the pie has virtually gone to nothing, no crisps with anything. Even the cherry and almond scones taste as if the almond has been left out. You could always rely on a good meal here but the quantity and quality has gone right back.

2  Thank Doreen L
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We travel south regularly and always try and reach the Blacksmiths Cafe in time for lunch.
Always lovely home baking in pleasant surroundings.
We have never been disappointed, try their Bacon and Egg Tart it is excellent.
There is now a small Art/Craft gallery next to them which is worth a visit.

The only problem with the Blacksmiths is it is nearly always busy, it is better in good weather as there is seating outside. Believe me it is worth waiting for a table, or better still ask if you can share a table, meet new, always nice people.

1  Thank JohnBryson