“Mrs pike with ms mccready ”
Review of Stapleford Park

Stapleford Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stapleford
“Mrs pike with ms mccready ”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Wow something out of a movie where do I start the service was five star* plus the food was something out of this world sensational the chocolates on the pillow the marble bathrooms with robes ready for you to spa not a speck of dust in sight my sister n I are blown away once in a life time opportunity if you get the chance DO IT youl never look back !!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We recently went to Stapleford Park for Afternoon Tea to celebrate my Daughter's 21st Birthday. I had booked afternoon Tea weeks in advance for 10 people 1 of which for me had to be Gluten Free. The service was appalling. We had booked for 2.30 as we had a long drive back. There was another event on and we did not get our tea until after 4l! The hotel gave us a "free" glass of champagne which was an offered to all guests who had afternoon tea in March! Lovely sandwiches and cakes were on the table but no tea for another 20 minutes with one of our guests not getting hers at all. Gluten Free afternoon tea consisted of scones and sandwiches but the three cakes were Marks and Spencer's Rocky Road, a Mrs Crimbles Bakewell slice and a horrible sharp gingerloaf. A creme brulee presumably ok for me was left with the others so I did not get that either. Later I suggested by email that a hotel such as theirs could maybe do better. No reply for weeks until I phoned. Finally the manager emailed back, insisting that all cakes are made in-house! Not on this occasion!! They then lost our coats which made us later still. A beautiful Hotel but we certainly will not go back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marjolein T
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Must say our experience is very much echoed in the other reviews, stunning location, house and grounds amazing and whilst everyone was lovely, the service was disjointed and slow, no one really seemed to know what they were doing. This culminated in the cabbage arriving after we had finished the main course (which was stunning along with the starter), the abashed waiter said it would be removed from the bill and then extended to offering us a free dessert wine.
I however had to point this out to the receptionist as it all remained on the £480 bill for dinner bed and breakfast.
Could be perfect with attention to service but must say given the price of the night, I think we will return to Hambleton Hall next time, the service is much better.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I went to this hotel for a personal treat for my birthday, on my own. I travel both alone and with my partner but I think hotels are well judged on how they look after single people. I thought the service was a bit variable; some staff seemed too busy to help and rather disengaged (especially in the main restaurant), others were extremely helpful (especially in the bar/lounge/library). Very impressed by the bar food - choice, quality and service. Very unimpressed by the wine list, on which there was very little on offer under £40. Unfortunately we weren't in the market for £2000 bottles!
The spa was impressive to look at and offers an extensive range, but the quality of the treatments I had was poorer than I'm used to. The therapists seemed fairly inexperienced. I would definitely visit again but would probably use the main dining room and the spa less.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank OnlyinBrighton
Herne Bay, Kent
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed with partner on a Saturday night as part of a weekend relaxed getaway and booked spa treatments and golf too.

On booking treatments it was really easy and Lyndsey at the spa was very helpful. Golf was easy to book and you don't need a handicap certificate.

We arrived early around 1.30 (check in is at 2) and asked if our room was ready. A very snooty older woman on their make shift reception laughed and said it was unlikely but they'd take our luggage. Rather than being helpful and telling us about the bar or restaurant she asked exactly what we were doing so we said we had spa and golf at 2. She insisted we went over straight away and then asked what our dinner plans were. She actually looked us both up and down and said we probably wouldn't want dinner and there were sandwiches and soup at the pavilion by the golf. I was a bit put out and wondered what she meant as after travelling 3 hours and then an afternoon of golf we'd obviously be hungry. Only later, when I'd got to our room I read the hotel manual which states you must have shoes and shirts on after 7 in the dining room. We'd literally just arrived and in comfortable clothes from travelling. It was just so unprofessional and why presume we didn't have nicer clothes to change into.

My partner told me the golf was great and the spa treatment was wonderful. I had a very thorough Clarins facial by Lynne and I then walked back up to the hotel.

On arriving I once again queued at the makeshift reception where many younger members of staff were hovering and didn't seem to know what they should be doing. Across the whole stay several young male members of staff deliberately avoided any eye contact and just seemed to not want to be there. While waiting to speak to someone a large group of ladies came in from their treatments to also get their room keys. As I was standing waiting the snooty lady from earlier just came up and looked at me from my side without saying a word. This was a bit uncomfortable and so I turned and asked if I could have my room. On her way to the desk she started helping another lady and completely 'forgot' about me! I finally asked another member of staff and she was able to take me up immediately but a second bad experience with this person left a bitter taste to the beginning of my stay.

Our room was lovely and the turn down service was brilliant. The cleaning staff obviously take pride in their jobs. There is no air conditioning and rooms only have a narrow window opening so the room was very hot. We were above the kitchen so in the night it was very warm. We had free sloe gin which was lovely but no tea and coffee making facilities which is disappointing.

I made my way to the pool which is like an absolute maze. I missed the fact that you have to sign in and couldn't work our where the ladies changing rooms were. These are communal, very damp, full of wet used towels and cramped. Lockers are also very small so don't take anything with you. The pool was lovely and the steam and sauna rooms are too but very small so only 3 can fit in at a time. Wouldn't be ideal for a hen getaway.

After we'd been out to dinner we wondered if there was a bar. Nothing is signed, there were no maps of the house and rooms didn't have names so we found this by chance. There was a young boy making drinks, but no menus and so we stood loitering by the bar. We then spotted a damp menu by some dirty glasses and chose drinks. We assumed we had to be seated as trying to catch his eye and talking very loudly about ordering didn't get his attention. It was just sheer rudeness.
So we sat in another room and literally seconds later he appeared. Still no eye contact but we ordered drinks at £12.50 each. They were then served in the same rude manner. Only on having another look at the hotel manual do you see that all food and drink comes with an automatic 10% service charge! No wonder this guy thinks he doesn't need to bother with his job when he gets a tip anyway. Ridiculous policy!

We decided we'd open some fizz upstairs and so asked directly at reception for a wine cooler to use in our room. The staff are just a bit offish and rude and I was asked, without even looking up at me, 'what's that then?' I explained I meant an ice bucket. We then went up and 3 hours later still hadn't had it. I just felt so angry and in a typical British manner lay seething. This place is not cheap and if you want to relax it is not the place to come.

We decided to have breakfast the next morning early and saw that it was a buffet style. A gentleman appeared and asked if we were part of a group. We said no and he promptly turned around and walked away. It was just the icing on the biscuit. We just stood there saying shall we seat ourselves then and after several minutes my partner went to find someone. Round a corner that looked like a staff only area was the dining room and the waiter was just waiting for us. The whole idea that we were meant to know what to do and where to go was seriously wearing thin. Thank god after that we had a lovely girl serve us and breakfast was delicious with cooked options, omelette bar and continental.

So, the spa and breakfast were the only nice things about our stay. My advice is to avoid this hotel as it is not worth the money and the staff need a good talking to about their manners and service. Unfortunately you'd get better customer service at a Premier Travel Inn.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
21 Thank iloveshoes25
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I took my Nan here for afternoon tea between Christmas and New Year. The service was exceptionally friendly and the food very nice too. It is a beautiful building in huge grounds and is well worth a visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard B
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just a one night stay with my Daughter. A truly English hotel set in Acres of it's own land away from all the hustle and bustle of normal life.. Plenty of walks, golf, archery, falconry etc. Good old-fashioned service. Very welcoming and exceptionally clean. Drink are quite pricey, but then probably no more than any other hotel of this standard. Loved that there wasn't any tea/coffee making in the room but a simple call to Reception produced a fresh pot at no charge. Also, with a request of 'would you like a hostess tray made up for you?' Turn down service and spruce up of the room after showers etc was very welcome. Bed a little too soft for me but that's just a personal taste. Swimming pool area was luxurious and Spa treatments were of good quality. Sadly we never made it into the Gym!!! Ate in the restaurant and food was exceptionally good. My Daughter said it was the best she had EVER tasted. Expect to pay £40 per person on food plus drinks (£6 ish each). Breakfast very, very good and freshly cooked. Definitely returning but next time for longer!

Room Tip: All are very quiet. Standard rooms are of good size.