“Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ongamira
Santa Barbara, California
“Paradise”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We recently stayed at Dos Lunas with our two young daughters. We have traveled quite a bit and
rate Dos Lunas high up on our list. Our stay was unforgettable! The staff was extremely hospitable and really went out of their way to make us feel at home. They were accomodating to our children's needs in every way. For example, they created a children's menu and designed rides specifically with their ages and expertise in mind. The estancia is tastefully restored and true to its time. The meals were delicious and created with perfection. Thanks for creating one of our best family memories.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
D2-lunas, Director General at Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Matthew M,

Thank you so much for your feedback!
We really appreciate your comments.

We do our best to satisfy and exceed your expectations and we are happy to know that we are on top of your list!

It is a pleasure to receive guests as your daughters, they are real hill-riders!!
We loved your pictures!

We look forward to seeing you again in Dos Lunas.

Best Regards,
Dos Lunas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I wish all vacations could be as special as our time was at Dos Lunas. All of the amazing reviews you read here are true. I think it blends two things perfectly -- it's relaxing and comfortable yet it is aspirational and exclusive. They only have beds for 14 adults so it's very intimate. The service is phenomenal -- it's very personalized but not formal. They really put a lot of attention and detail into the food. At breakfast, they review the day's menu with you. If there's something you don't like, they'll change it out. Even lunch is a three course meal. We loved the tea at 5pm looking out at the amazing view. I only saw our room but it was exactly what you'd expect for a restored farm house. We had a living room area, a large comfortable bed, a dressing area and a large bathroom. But for maybe the best part -- the horseback riding. We are experienced riders and had rides of a lifetime! The horses are very steady, hearty and healthy. We did a sunset river ride where we crossed many streams and then had tea. We did a long ride to the very top of the highest peak, and one of my favorites was just cantering for an hour in the lush green grass meadows. We never did the same ride twice. They ranged from an hour to five hours and we rode one to three times a day. You can literally just tell them what you want and they plan around your schedule. We also happened to be there at the same time as a family with young children who had never rode before. Surprisingly, we were all able to ride together and the guides took remarkable care of everyone. I would recommend Dos Lunas to all horse lovers and even to people who just want to get away for a tranquil environment. There is no cell coverage and the WiFi isn't very strong. I ended up loving that because it added to the peacefulness and inspiration that I think is at the heart of it all. I can't wait to go back! One final note about booking that I thought felt weird as I experienced it but now know that it's totally reliable and legitimate. They aren't a typical hotel so you can't book online or just call and talk to someone. Nicholas will respond via email to do all of the reservations and booking. It sometimes took a day for him to get back to us but he was very accommodating and helpful. They offered us a discount for paying in US cash. It's a two hour car ride from the Cordoba airport. Can I tell you again how much I want to go back? I think about the staff and guides often. Everyone was so nice and fun.

Room Tip: I think there are only 4 rooms and they assign them based on your party (kids, families, couples, et...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I just returned from an exhilarating trip to Argentina. We spent 5 memorable days at Dos Lunas where we experienced the tranquil quiet found only in the grassy meadows and rolling hills which surround this estancia. Moreover, the meals were simply yet elegantly prepared; each dish was a culinary surprise and delight! The chef and his staff were ever so accommodating and even, at our request, grilled lamp to perfection. We sere daily served a variety of delicious breads and wide selection of sweets awaited us at tea time. Even in 5 star restaurants in Buenos Aires we never had a meal as satisfying as we experienced at Dos Lunas.
We enjoyed hiking and riding horses over the 6,000 acre ranch and we never saw another person to interrupt our solitude on these jaunts. The presence of a large herd of cattle and hoses, wandering the hills and fields, only added to the authentic charm of this estancia.
Dos Lunas' staff, while constantly present, were never intrusive while they fulfilled every need we expressed.
It was a real joy to watch the eight dogs, which were never bothersome, as they participated in our horse rides, especially the day the guachos rounded up the mother cows and calves.
Five days was just to short of time to spent at Dos Lunas so we are looking for another opportunity to visit once again.
We had actually had planned our trip for the year earlier but because of an unexpected surgery, we had to cancel at the last minute. Dos Lunas understood and rolled over our down payment to this year. Shinko and Tom, Ft. Worth Texs

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tom m
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

if you want to know what it felt like luxury in the estancias, this is the place. Your breakfast is just done for you( and I mean even the bread is taken out of the oven just done!) all the senses are awaken here, even the tiniest of details is looked after here, will never forget the experience!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
D2-lunas, Director General at Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear KKaren2013,

We want to thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay at Dos Lunas.

It can't be better to know that you have felt our service as luxurious as we try to deliver it every day.

We will never forget your visit and really look forward to having you at Dos Lunas soon.

Warmest regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We spent part of our honeymoon at Dos Lunas, and would return for every anniversary if we could. It’s a cozy gem of a spot nestled deep off the main routes – the drive there is over bouncy dirt roads that wind back and up into the mountains and drop you down into a lush valley. The friendly staff are waiting to meet you, and it feels like you’ve just pulled into an old friend’s summer house: warm, welcoming, inviting. Rather than formal or fussy, Dos Lunas feels instantly rustic and comfortable. You want to kick off your shoes and curl up on one of their comfy sofas with a glass of wine and the company of one of the friendly dogs. The staff are enthusiastic, sweet, and earnest. Many speak some English, but all had good humor about our fairly mediocre Spanish.

The riding is, as others have said, fantastic. Horses are all shiny and well-cared for, and they were able to accommodate both an experienced rider and a relative beginner and make us both feel equally safe and comfortable. We never went the same route twice and deeply enjoyed being able to see the views and sights of High Ongamira, to help bring in horses from the back fields, and to have a brisk canter through a small meadow. The views, while pretty from Dos Lunas themselves, are absolutely stunning from horseback. Photographs don’t do the place justice – the scope and span of the valley is breathtaking. One or more of the dogs came on most of our rides which made them even more fun.

But even if you’re not a rider, the rest of your stay is likely to be delightful. The pool is beautiful, and the rest of the grounds begs for a long walk, or (as we did) reading on the porch. Food is fresh and plentiful, and the chef turns out homemade pasta and wonderful rolls, along with a variety of courses that swing from French-inspired to traditional grilled meats. Meals feel thoughtful rather than ostentatious (again reinforcing the feeling of staying at someone’s home, rather than at a hotel), and there’s a sense of delight in everything that comes to the table. Thoughtful wine selection is a nice addition.

In short - Dos Lunas was the highlight of our honeymoon. We can’t wait to come back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kat S
D2-lunas, Director General at Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Kat S,

Your opinion brightened our day.

We really want to thank you for the time you shared with us, for the time you took to send us your feedback and for the time you will stay in our hearts.

We feel honoured to receive guests during such a special moment as it is your honeymoon.

Our goal is to make you feel comfortable, as if you were at home but with nothing to worries about, just enjoy and relax.

We really appreciate you had a great time and our doors are opened any time willing to host you again.

Best wishes for your marriage and we hope you have a great family.

The Staff
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We had four nights over New Year at Dos Lunas with our three children (aged 9,8 & 5) and simply had the most wonderful time. The setting, food, wine, accommodation, riding etc were all first class, but what really made our stay special was the atmosphere and the staff (particularly Marlou, Gaby and Mercedes). This was one of the most relaxed places we've been too and the staff really seemed to be enjoying themselves and having fun too.
Having been apprehensive about taking three young children on an 'estancia' holiday, they had a wonderful time and were welcomed by all. What a fabulous introduction to riding for them (thank you Javier & Domingo).
New Year's Eve with everyone (from the owner down) was an especially excellent evening.
Goodness we hope to go back!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Harriet F
Dear Harriet F,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

It was a big pleasure celebrating with you and your beautiful family and we still pleased to hear back from you with such a good review.

It was our honour to enjoy New year's Eve with all of you.

We love our job at Dos Lunas and we really enjoy the atmoshpere and we feel very glad to know you shared the feeling with us.

We look forward to receive you again in the future.

Best wishes to all the family.

The staff
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I too have not previously reviewed on tripadvisor but felt compelled to do so after my 10 night stay there.

The experience at Dos Lunas starts on arrival at cordoba airport. I was met by Peter, a local tour guide who collected me promptly from the airport on arrival, bia 4x4, and gave a lovely commentary along the way. About 45 minutes of the journey is along a dust track, where the stunning, stunning scenery reveals itself the further along you get.

On arrival I was greeted by the manager, Juan whose English is faultless (my Spanish is, at best, ropey). He and his wife Vicki, could not have been more welcoming or accommodating for my entire stay.

I quickly settled into the routine that each guest can expect from their stay: breakfast from 8:30 (any time after is fine); ride at 9:30-10:00 (if you want); lunch at 13:00; ride again at 16:00 (again if you want also sometimes later if its too hot); afternoon tea at 17:00-18:00 and dinner at 20:30.

I cannot express enough how fantastic the food and wines were - particularly when you understand the scale of how remote this beautiful place is - I truly don't know how they did it!

I was lucky enough to stay when the owners were in residence and again I could not have been more welcome - I was travelling alone and they made me feel part of the family, but without being intrusive in any way.

The riding is spectacular. I am an experienced rider and I never tired of the routes that we took and the scenery - for those that have travelled, it's like a cross between the red centre in Australia, the Brecon Beacons and Serengeti! Outstanding! Other guests I rode with during my stay ranged from "never sat on a horse" to "experienced ranchers". The range of horses available met every ability and every horse was so well behaved and trained (courtesy of Domingo the ever smiling guide) that novices can be rest assured that they will be looked after. The horses were superstars.

The other great thing would be for dog lovers - the ranch has many dogs (I think about 8) and they join you for your rides out - herding cattle away from the group by day and sitting on your feet at one of the many lovely outdoor seating areas of an evening!

The rooms are beautifully and rustically furnished - I had a sitting room, bedroom and separate large bathroom to myself. There are also multiple sitting rooms (one with wifi) and the decked area by the pool is a gorgeous place to sunbathe, on beds with thick mattresses to lie on.

A truly special, unique place to relax and enjoy some of the most specular scenery and wild life from. I am so very grateful to Juan and team for my time there - I very much needed to de-stress and this was the perfect tonic!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Emily F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ongamira
La Guarida Hotel
#2 of 6 in La Cumbre
Tres Pircas Hotel & Spa
Tres Pircas Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huerta Grande

Been to Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge? Share your experiences!