“Great Diving Destination”
Review of Cocotinos Manado

Cocotinos Manado
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wori
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 8D7N stay in Cocotinos Dive Resort and Spa in Manado Indonesia. If you are looking for a reasonably priced holiday where diving is your main focus then this resort is definitely worth a go. We travelled via Singapore with a connection on Silk Air to Manado. We were picked up on time by someone from the resort and transported directed to Cocotinos which is about a half hour drive from the airport and 45 minutes from the city of Manado. We were greeted with refreshments whilst we filled out the necessary paperwork to allow us to start diving the next day. We booked the suite room which whilst not luxurious, it is very spacious, clean and well appointed. The bed is a huge king size but was a bit hard, the lounge was also a bit uncomfortable but there is plenty to choose from on TV at night on the cable service. Reliable WiFi internet is also complimentary in the suite room and to everyone in the dining area. The resort is small with only about 20 rooms but the grounds are very well kept and the staff and only too happy to help with anything although sometimes their English is a bit limited.
In terms of the diving experience, we were there at the very end of the wet season so there were still a few thunderstorms around causing some reduced visibility however the temperature was beautiful and the water temp on average 29-30 degrees so 1-3mm wet suit is all that is required. The dive sites are all within a reasonably short boat ride and mainly consisted of beautiful coral wall dives mostly with gentle currents and lots of small fish and reef life. You will see very few pelagic fish although green sea turtles are everywhere. The resort has 3 dive boats which are all well set up and the crew take care of everything. The dive masters are great too, particularly our dive master Walter and the instructor James. The usual routine is to have breakfast then leave for the first dive 8-8.30am, stay out then do a second dive before returning for lunch at about 1-1.30 and off to dive again at about 3pm each day. If you need to hire dive gear, the gear is all fairly new and well maintained. Unfortunate however that so much local rubbish finds its way into the water so it is not at all uncommon to see plastic bags floating along the coral walls and piles of rubbish floating on top of the water. Something I suppose you have to accept when diving in a developing country.
We found the food at Cocotinos to be simple but very tasty and no problems with food hygiene. There is a limited selection of European and Indonesian food on offer and they try to avoid making anything too spicy. We opted for a meal package and were very happy with our options for each meal.
Probably the only negative comments I could make apart from the less than comfy lounge setting and bed in our room was that out of pocket costs like drinks and spa treatments tend to be a bit on the pricy side. I had a couple of cocktails which although fairly tasty were also fairly expensive at around $14 AUD each. I did enjoy my massages also but again felt they were a bit expensive for the service I received. Also, if you love a hairdryer like I do then I suggest you take your own as the ones supplied at the resort could barely dry your hands so eventually I gave up on the hairdryer and went un-coiffured.
Cocotinos Manado is perhaps not the ideal location for families as there are limited alternative activities to diving. The pool is great and there are opportunities to go snorkelling but apart form relaxing and reading a book it is a small quiet place.
All in all, a very friendly, well run and pretty place with excellent diving and a good standard of accommodation. Reminded me why I enjoy diving so much.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Martinus W, General Manager at Cocotinos Manado, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Reviewer,

It is much appreciated that you took the time to do a comprehensive and positive review of our resort. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that the diving was good. Yes our hair dryer in your suite was rather weak. There used to be a Braun there but it must have broken down and the staff replaced it with a weak alternative from one the local shops. Thank you for letting us know - it will be changed!

The rattan lounge set in the living room was chosen for flexibility, being light and compact as we often have to reconfigure the living room of the suite to another bed room with twin beds. Your point is well taken and we will try and look into a settee that is more comfy. We take our guest comments very seriously and we are always trying to improve our product and service.

The owner who was there would like to thank you for your encouraging words and for introducing us to a dive agent near your home in Australia. With kind words from you, we hope to receive more divers from down under.

Many thanks from all of us here at Cocotinos. Please come again and bring friends.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Cocotinos Manado

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Thank you so much for the lovely vacation. The personal touch put in by the crew from all departments made my dive experience and stay there extremely memorable. Only my first time here and I've already felt that Manado is my second home! Well done guys!

• Stayed: May 2013
MartinusWawanda, General Manager at Cocotinos Manado, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to do a great review of our resort. We would like to inform you that you are not the only one to have "fallen in love with Cocotinos Manado". Many in the recent years have felt the same way and it is very encouraging to all out staff to know that their service has been appreciated. It was your first visit . We have to warn you that Cocotinos Manado can be addictive, and many have returned time and again to dive with us or just chill out for a few days.

We would love to have you back - be seeing you soon! Next time, bring along more friends who have never visited us before. We shall be waiting to receive them with the same warm service that you have experienced.

Regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Cocotinos has probably been one of my best diving experiences so far. The dive masters and boat staffs are incredibly skilled, they can find a hidden pygmy seahorse so easily! Amazing. We also saw a huge group of dolphins while on the boat, I can't describe the magical feeling I had.
About the resort, I stayed in a garden room and it was really super comfy! The shower is spacious and has nice plants in it! The staff is very friendly and attentive to our needs, make us feel at home straight away :)
Loved the food, when you go for a day dive trip, they nicely pack your food and ensure you have tea, coffea and fruits after your dive.
Great resort for photographers too, they have all equipment to take care of your camera.
Will come back :)
Oh and thanks for the guitar and singing night with the DM's, was fun!

Dear Reviewer,

We are flattered that this is one of your best diving experiences so far.
You were very lucky to see the group of dolphins while you were on the boat.
Not many people have this opportunity. Dolphins are symbolic of good fortune
and good health and we wish you all the best.The sing-song with guitars by
our dive masters was spontaneous. This is our way of sharing your joy while
you were with us. Please come again."

Best regards,

Martinus W

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Just returned from Cocotinos resort after spending 5D4N there and they have surpassed my expectations from frens n reviews.I was intrigued by the attention of the service staff some of whom are multi-talented.....James Mamoto, a gd divemaster n photographer( n a gd comedian), Virson, a wonderful FnB staff as well as a tatooist, Jacky, an experience Ops staff n a Great Singer( I salute u bro), n Bob....a vry quiet n shy dive guide n a skillful builder( seen his hse near resort) n last but not least Mr Martinez, a humble, helpful, n a very good fren.The people who work together to make this resort happen is what makes this a very unique experience in Cocotinos
The rooms are very comfortable and large, and we enjoyed many hours enjoying the serenity of the resort, especially during the sunset.
Dive staff provided concierge dive services. Once our gear was set up to our specifications, we didn't have to lift a finger again They strive to find whatever creature you want to see - they even found the tiny pygmy seahorse, which was so small and well camourflaged. Thnx James, Bob, Wilson and Wan too..
The food was excellent, the F&B staff was great, and the attention we received was amazing. Thnx Virson....Power!
This place is all about the people and we were bowled over by the welcome and hospitality we received. Thank you Martinez, and for the mini live band performance for Alex's bday.
I will highly recommend it to anyone wanting a stunning diving trip in a beautiful environment.
It would be a pleasure to come back here again
Thanks for a great vacation at Cocotinos ;-)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Martinus W, General Manager at Cocotinos Manado, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear Reviewer

Me and my staff (Jacky, James, Virson, Bob, Wilson and Wan, plus all the rest ) would like to say a Big Thank You. Your review says it all. We will remain humble and when you come back again, you will find the same warm and personal service waiting for you.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

It's not easy to comment on Cocotinos. There are positive and negative points.

We are not a fussy couple when it comes to accommodation while on holidays. I gave pretty much good reviews on most of them but I was doubtful to give a real good comment here. First of, we love the area, it was out of the city area which is good to begin with. In fact, Manado city is pretty small. From the airport to Cocotinos took us 45 minutes and from Cocotinos to the city took us approximately 30minutes. Cocotinos is located in the village and the road to the hotel is pretty small.

When we first arrived, we were offered sandwiches and juice as a welcome refreshments. That was nice! and later on we were told that our room was not ready and was requested to wait. We were a tad exhausted from the ride from the airport to the hotel. The only thing we wanted that day was too relax in the room for a bit. The man could see that we were exhausted. So he offered to let us go to the room (the room was not ready because we were given a 2 single bed when we wanted a king size bed). He told us to join the 2 single bed, they required 2 hours to get it done. So my partner and I were quite confuse as to what they were trying to do. Were they bringing in a new bed frame that's king size, were they waiting for get the bed frame fixed or were they just joining the 2 single bed to ONE? The thoughts of needing 2 hours to get it done made us really puzzled.

We were assigned to the room (on second thought, I thought we were just given this particular room just to rest while they get our room ready but to my surprise, it was our room) and that was either 2 or 3 pm. We napped and waited for them to update us on our bed but until then, there were no news whatsoever. I told my partner to call up to the receptionist to ask for the condition and she assigned a man to come to us. I told him to come in and get it done politely but he respected our privacy and told us that he will get it done when we are out for dinner. We respected that idea as well. Everything was done after our dinner.

Cocotinos has a nice scenery with the beautiful mountain and they have their own pier to take boat. They provide diving activities and my man enjoyed it very much (let alone the price given as we found later a better and more affordable price). On the down side, my partner wanted to know about the timetable for the diving on the next day. We were told to wait as the receptionist (a man) will immediately ask the guy who's incharged of diving to talk to us directly. Oh boy, we waited for a long time, it was so long i told my partner "I don't think he's coming to you". The man was literally there but he didn't come to us at all. The receptionist was next to us and he told the diver guy "they are keen to do diving and would like to know more" and the diver guy was a few feet away from us. He didn't even bother to come by to talk to us. It was unpleasant for my liking. We waited and we went back to our room and when we came out for food, he FINALLY came to us to tell us about the diving. My partner wanted to dive so I told him to just go ahead. All the divers are friendly in the end.

The room given was spacious and tidy but my bed sheet had a stain and it was so obvious (right in your face) that I don't understand why would they even thought of using that particular sheet when I'm sure they have more. Apart from that, The room was lovely and the bathroom is spacious too. (I love the shower gel).

The food in Cocotinos are not the greatest. Apart from that, they are very expensive for the type of dish they provided. I had a plate of rice with chicken that cost approximately Rp. 120,000 and we find it a tad too expensive. BUT we love the fried pineapple dessert. We were given a trial for free to taste the dessert and the next day we ordered again because we loved it.

I've never encountered any hotel who talks about tipping the hotel workers. It says "No obligations" but if you gave us an envelope for the tipping and not just the "Envelope" but it was also written clearly in the room "Booklet", how do we say no? It is not as if the stays were inexpensive, they are expensive in every way. We decided to give a reasonable tip and I hope they are happy with it. The staffs are good but I've seen better ones.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BethKiss2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your frank review of our resort.
You liked some aspects of our resort but you felt let down on a number of issues. We apologize for our shortfall in making you wait while the room was been prepared, for not offering you a king bed to begin with (there was a miscommunication on the booking via the on-line travel agent)
and for making you wait to receive the attention of our dive personnel.
It is very unusual for us to falter in our service. On investigation, I found that my staff had failed because our resort was full at that time and they were a bit short handed. But it is no excuse, me and my staff will endeavor to improve our service under all situations.
Thank you for telling us about the problems you experienced. We hope you will come again and next time, we will do our very best to make your stay a better one.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Njis Stayed for 6 days, it was good and made us amazing. The Dive and Snorkel site was bizzare and the people in there are hospitality and humble, the receptionist are beautiful and I love one of them, her name is Lilian lee, she is easy going and friendly full,she is also sexy,cute,and have good skin and nice hair. The rooms are very comfortable and excellent.

Room Tip: "Room 10 is the best, because you can see views form your room like you can look at the spa hou...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer

Our staff at the reception, Lilian Lee says thank you. She and all our staff at the resort are always committed to providing a highly professional service to all guests. We are happy you enjoyed your 6-day stay with us and that you liked our rooms and dive service. The dive sites around our resort are teeming with fish and corals and will delight any dive enthusiast such as yourself.
Please come again.

Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5nights for a dive retreat.
And I must say, this is a 5-star luxurious dive resort! :)

1. Diving
The team of professional dive guides and boat crew are so attentive and thoughtful! After every dive, we get towel to dry ourselves, chilled fruits and hot drinks to hydrate ourselves!
Not just that, the dive guides (special mention : jacky who ensures that everythg is in order. Thank you jacky!!) ensure that u'll see small critters such as Pygmy seahorse, shrimps, crabs etc etc.

Day dive at lembeh is available at usd 40. But a gentle note. The resort only accept ruppiah..(we had usd but cannot use. So had to pay the lembeh dive and mandarin dive in ruppiah using credit card)
Usd are only for prepayments.

It's always a chore for me to wash my dive equipment after a trip. The team is so thoughtful that divers are spoilt to the extend that we do not have to wash our own equipment! After our last dive, the team washed and dried our equipment. And on the morning before we checked out, the equipment were outside our room for us to pack! :)

2. Rooms
We stayed in garden room. The room is so clean and big that it can fit 3pax comfortably!
There's cable channels in the room as well. My buddy and I were entertained with blockbuster every night after dinner.

3. Service
The service staff at cocotinos are just as attentive and thoughtful as the dive guides.

To conclude, this is a haven meant for divers. :)

• Stayed: May 2013
martinusManado, General Manager at Cocotinos Manado, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your fantastic review of our resort.
We at Cocotinos Manado have worked very hard over the years to provide the best possible service to divers and non-divers. Jacky is one of out most experienced Dive Masters and he now runs the dive center.
As for divers, we try to make them feel like kings and queens in our resort and there is no need for royalty to wash up their own equipment.
Please come again. We are waiting for your return visit.

Martinus Wawanda

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wori
Grand Luley Manado
Siladen Resort & Spa
Siladen Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Siladen Island
Tasik Ria Resort Manado

Been to Cocotinos Manado? Share your experiences!