We stayed in Cocotinos in Manado for a week from 29th Dec to 5th Jan. To sum up, we had an excellent trip, would definitely go back and would highly recommend it. The staff are welcoming, friendly and extremely helpful and cater for your every need. The diving was exceptional. Rooms and resort were beautiful.
The resort is about 1/2 hours drive from the airport in Manado, for which Cocotinos arrange a pick up.
The resort sits in a village, with a mosque nearby - the morning call to prayer can be heard but didn't disturb our sleep.
The location is on the coast, about 40 mins boat journey from the main Bunaken dive sites. However, there are some excellent muck dives about 10 mins away.
The resort comprises about 20 bungalow style rooms, overlooking the pool / coast, all of which are finished to a very high standard (although no TV in standard rooms). The rooms are very comfortable, being fitted with super king beds and a day bed. We slept really well.
Rooms are cleaned each day together with the resort grounds and pool.
The restaurant serves all meals - a buffet with lots of choice for breakfast and dinner and a three choice set menu for lunch. They also serve a selection of reasonably priced snacks all day if you cant wait for meal times! The food was good quality, tasty and included some local dishes,
The restaurant also has free wi-fi access, so take your laptop as there is not a lot of evening activity and the resort computer is slow.
The drinks were a little pricey, about 36,000IDR (£3) for a diet coke. Water is free - two bottles in your room each day and then water cooler in restaurant and on the dive boats.
The diving was breathtaking. Very comfortable, relaxed diving in small groups with one or two guides per group of 2-4. Everything was set up and labelled (so nothing goes missing) so literally all you do is turn up and dive! Usually 2 dives were done in the Bunaken park in the morning, returning to the resort for lunch and then a muck dive in the afternoon.
The Bunaken park was a short boat journey away (40 mins) and had the most colourful and pristine coral that we've seen anywhere.
In Bunaken we saw turtles, sharks, nudibranches in abundance, barracuda, jacks, and lots of other species that you just won't find elsewhere. The guides also reported seeing dolphins on our day off!
There are excellent muck dives just around the bay in which the resort is situated - lots of octopus, pigmy / other seahorses on most dives, pipefishes, cockatoo waspfish, blue spotted rays, nudibranches, frogfishes - the list was just endless.
We also did an excellent day trip to Lembeh Straits (arranged and run by Cocotinos for about £30 / person).This was incredible diving and had better visibility than I expected (a good 15 metres). Seahorses (of all types - we saw 4 in total), hairy frogfish, cockatoo waspfish, etc. etc. The best macro diving by a long way and well worth the 1.5 hour journey from the resort.
There are also some land trips available (white water rafting, volcano trekking, highlands trips, jungle tours, etc.). However, the diving was so brilliant that we simply spent all of our time doing just that!
Can't wait to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cocotinos Manado is a boutique dive resort located within Wori Bay in the heart of Kima Bajo, a fishing village overlooking the Bunaken National Marine Park, world famous for its astounding wall and macro scuba diving. A mere 25-minute drive from Manado's Sam Ratulangi International Airport brings you to the resort, on the water's edge, in full view of Siladen Island and Manado Tua, a majestic dormant volcano across the Sulawesi Sea. Through the use of selected hardwoods, stone, and other ecologically friendly building materials sourced from the region, the resort blends seamlessly with the surrounding village and coconut grove. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Cocotinos Manado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocotinos Manado Hotel Wori
- Cocotinos Manado Indonesia/Wori, Sulawesi