“So nice and peaceful”

Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“So nice and peaceful”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I have been very busy and stressed with months of overtime in the office and so I thought why not choose a quiet place to chill out. The resort was a very pleasant surprise: so nice and peaceful in its own private beach, away from the usual busy tourist traps that nowadays you find in so many popular places such as Bali and Phuket. OK I love Bali also, but if you have been there recently you will know how bad the traffic is. What a relief then it was to find Lombok so "unspoiled" by comparison - no traffic jams! The rooms are beautiful and well decorated and spacious with high ceilings, with aircon and fan. The bathrooms have very nice details and provisions for us. The staff was fantastic. So friendly and warm. I was surprised they planted banana trees among the old coconut trees but it works. Together with the flowering plants, the place feels so cosy and looks so charming, like someone's lovingly-cared-for private garden. The food was tasty and a good mix of Asian and Western. I complimented the chef who would try to make any special request that we had. The prices were not cheap but reasonable and comparable to hotels and resorts on the island and elsewhere. i suppose I cannot expect to pay warung price in a nice resort. I was told the bananas we ate came from the trees in the resort. I went on a boat ride and the islands were like little jewels floating in the blue sea, still looking pristine and untainted. The snorkelling is excellent and highly recommended.The resort is basically by itself, without any bars or discos or restaurants nearby. The resort is also located away from the villages, which means less noise, except for the occasional wayward motorbike with the big exhaust. So it was ideal for me as I was tired of the hustle and bustle of the big city and really needed a good rest and I got it, especially after a couple of visits to the spa on the beach. Although I stayed in a Garden room, I was shown the villas on the beach front and they looked really inviting. Especially the Rinjani Villa, which has an upper deck with a newly added "loft" sitting area next to the bed and whirl pool - wow really cool! I will definitely be backed and next time I would like to try out one of those villas with private pool.

Room Tip: choose the Villas next to the sea to spoil yourself
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank donna w
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Dear reviewer
Thank you for your kind review, as you found during your stay with us recently. Cocotinos resort really is a place to completely unwind and let go of all the stresses of work and everyday life that we are all unfortunately subjected to nowadays.
The location of the resort was specifically chosen by the owner to be away from the usual tourist traps. With their never ending t shirt and souvenir sellers that plague so many resort areas today. (If you have been to Kuta in Bali you will know what we mean.)
While our more remote location may not suit everyone, we find that for the more discerning traveler, our location with its own private beach and tropical landscape is just what they need to completely unwind.
The landscaping of the resort which you enjoyed with its mix of banana, coconut trees and flowering shrubs was done to reflect the style of planting that you find in the local villages. The villas and other buildings on site also reflect this village style but of course in a more modern style.
Our restaurant staff, the chef and his kitchen staff, say thank you for your kind remarks on the quality of the food and service. And all of us at Cocotinos look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review of our resort it was much appreciated by all of us.
Kind regards from all of us here at Cocotinos.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Indonesian first
Edson, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Made our booking based on reviews and photos of the resort. We we not disapointed.... The gardens around the vilas were beautiful and very well maintained. They had the best beach of any that we visited to collect sea shells and i'm guessing that the snorling and scuba diving would also be incredable. If your looking for a nice place to totaly get away from everything this would be the place. One dissapointment was that there was only Wi-Fi (free though) in the restaraunt. The food here was very good and in our short stay of 2 night we were un-able to find a dish that we did not like. I saw a few single people her and i sincerly hope they were looking for solitude as this was all I think they would of found. (So I am saying this is not the place to come if your looking to go out and meet people) If I were staying here for an extended period I would suggest one of the ocean view rooms. All the tap water is a slightly salty brine but there was always an ampel supply of fresh water (Mineral) avalible in our room for washing face, brushing teeth, making tea or coffee ect.....

Room Tip: The Garden room with outdoor shower was great. It appared as though there were a couple of really gr...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kim P
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your kind review of our Cocotinos Resort. I am so glad that you both found our resort so quiet and secluded, which is what was the owner wanted when he found the location for Cocotinos. Of course it also helps that we are located on a white sand beach with lots of sea shells for you to collect; and yes, the snorkeling and scuba diving are also excellent. Regarding the WiFi only being available at the restaurant area, unfortunately one of the penalties we have to pay for being in an area which is a bit remote is that utilities which are normally easily available are difficult to obtain. The only internet available at the present time is a “narrow band” connection. So we have to restrict the internet to the restaurant area. Hopefully this will change and improve over time. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. It is much appreciated by me and my staff. I look forward to having you both stay with us again soon.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We arrived in Cocotinos without having booked (it was low season), and we got a great deal from the manager, we stayed in one of the superior rooms with beach view for only half of the normal walk-in price. During our stay the staff did everything to make us happy, and with success. Cocotinos is located on a beautiful, white sand beach (ocean is lovely, but we had an encounter with some jellyfish) and the rooms are very well decorated and comfortable with indoor and outdoor showers, a veranda with big chairs and lots of little extras (incent sticks on balcony and chocolate on pillow at night). The breakfast is good too, the only negative point is the food at night, we were not impressed with the quality of the fish and the way it was prepared. The spa is recommended, one of the best massages during my holidays in Bali and Lombok... with a soothing ocean breeze.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarNL
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our resort and rating us as “excellent”, which is very much appreciated by me and my staff. We have only been open for over two years and sometimes the lack of experience of our staff shows; but as you found during your stay with us, they are always very helpful and friendly which is just the way the Lombok people are. We have recently made some changes to our restaurant menu to give a better selection and variety of dishes. I am sorry for the quality of the fish you had when you stayed with us, but we do try to only use fish fresh from the local fishermen. However, sometimes due to inclement weather and other exigencies, the types of fish available are rather limited.
Our spa masseuse says “thank you” for your comment that her massage was one of the best you had during you holidays. Thanks like these are always welcome and much appreciated by all staff working at the resort.
I look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
London
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Cocotinos is in the south west of Lombok, an area with very little development in which you will see few tourists. We stayed in a garden room which was spacious and beautifully designed. The water front villas looked amazing. The whole place is spotlessly clean and the scenery stunning. A major draw (and the main reason we chose to stay there) is Gili Nanggu, just 10 minutes away by boat ride, which the hotel provide for a fee. This is among the most beautiful places we have ever been and the snorkelling is something else – you almost don’t need a snorkel, especially if you take some bread with to attract the fish. The hotel will also rent you a snorkel, though this seemed a bit stingy compared with other resorts where they will lend them for free (e.g. Jeeva Klui).

Gili Nanggu should not be missed – we went several times. It is a beautiful and quiet island just to wonder around, as well as for the snorkelling. On one of the three days we went a few tour boats were there, on other days there was hardly anyone there.

A word of warning – the management of Gili Nanggu do not want food from outside the island to be taken in (understandably, since they have their own hotel and restaurant). Though Cocotinos will make a sandwich packed lunch for you if you are out for the day, it hasn’t
been very well thought through and is basically just the lunchtime sandwich option, including a dressed salad and chips, put into a box!

You can also walk round several beaches to the left from the hotel where you will not see a soul (wear sandals in the sea as there are black spiky urchins).

The hotel is quite new and the extremely friendly staff still do not provide quite the level of service you would expect at a luxury resort. We were among a very small number of guests staying during our visit and sometimes food in the restaurant (on the whole very good)
took a long time to arrive. One cocktail we ordered was definitely not up to scratch, but to the hotel’s credit they replaced it. Breakfast was slightly underwhelming – they were not running the buffet due to low occupancy and inexplicably there was no fresh juice, only squash. The
breakfast menu also looks a bit limited in which options you are allowed to select, but after the first day we queried this and they let us order what we liked. Complementary afternoon tea was a nice touch.

There was some road noise because a road goes right by the resort, but it is not a very busy road so it didn't bother us too much, though I probably wouldn't stay in the back row of rooms for this reason.

The spa - I had a massage that was disappointing - the spa area is very nice but the masseuse lacked ability.

Overall we had a really great time, and would definitely recommend this hotel and this area to anyone visiting Lombok.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie4321
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your kind review. As you noted when you stayed here in June, that time of the year was rather quiet; but this was a bit of an advantage to you as you would have had more of the resort to yourself. Our location is ideal, since, as you yourself had done during your stay, our guests could go snorkeling just off our beach, go to Gilli Nangu just across the bay or visit the other islands further down the coast. The other advantage of our location is that one could go walking along our beach without being hassled by people trying to sell you something. We have noted your comment on the standard of the packed lunch and we will try to improve it. But when you stay with us again, please just ask if you require a different kind of packed lunch and we will do our best to meet your requirements. We have also recently revised our menu to give a better selection of dishes. Our spa masseuse has also undergone further training to ensure that the massages are of a higher standard. Thank you again for having taken the time to write a review of Cocotinos resort and I look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Jakarta
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We spent 10 beautiful days in this hotel. the hotel is new, was opened two years ago. Everything was perfect: very nice and attentive staff, speaking good English, tasty food in the restaurant, clean and spacious rooms. Children were enjoying the beach and swimming pool. We had also a lot of pleasure to find every evening in our room some sweets and wishes from the manager of Cocotinos. Thanks to everybody. We will be back again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear Julia,

I am glad to hear on reading your review that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Cocotinos so much. While you enjoyed the food at our resort, we have since extended and revised the menu at our Ela-Ela restaurant, so that guests like you and your family who are staying a while longer, could have a bigger choice of dishes. The small things that you enjoyed so much like having sweets and an inspirational message from me placed on your bed each evening, are, I am sure you will agree, what make for an enjoyable holiday. I very much look forward to welcoming you and your family at Cocotinos again soon.
Belgium
Reviewed 27 August 2012

If you are looking for a quiet hotel, to relax and potentially do some diving and snorkeling, this is the place to go.
The Hotel opened only 3 years ago and is beautiful. Nice contemporary design, away from everything ! Rooms are bungalo style or private villa's with pool.
If you look for excitement, don't come here, but if you want to avoid the heavy tourists place north of Mataram and at the Gili Island, this is a perfect spot.
Very friendly staff and i guess with the time. Restaurant menu can still be enhanced but is at very good standards.
Will certainly come back

Room Tip: They are all ok, but if you like that little extra, try the one's on the beach with private pool...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear Reviewer.

Thank you very much for your review. My staff and I certainly appreciate your kind words. As you have commented in your review, we are not the usual standard hotel that you find in the capital city of Mataram and in the Northern Gillis. The location for Cocotinos Resort was specifically chosen by the owner to be in a quiet and secluded area of Lombok, where you could enjoy a holiday without being pestered to death by T-shirt sellers and other vendors. The design of the hotel was also done to reflect the local village architecture but in a modern way, as was the landscaping which reflects the mix of fruit trees and flowering plants that is typical of the local villages. We have by the way, recently upgraded our restaurant menu to give a better choice and more variety, especially for those guests who stay with us a bit longer. Again, thank you for taking the time to do a review of our resort and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have been there in July 2012.
I recommend!
Warm welcome by the staff.
Wonderful surroundings environment.
Room are very comfortable and clean.
Nice pool just just in front of the beach.
Spa, restaurant (very tasty!!!) and scuba diving center at disposal. Nice spot for snorkelling as well.
Hiking session planned by hotel staff at end of the day through surroundings hills. Points of views and beautiful sunset before a drink at hotel bar!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for the recommendation of Cocotinos Resort as a nice and relaxing place to stay. All our staff very much appreciate your kind comments on their high level of service. We always try to do our best and make our guests feel at home, whether it is snorkeling off the beach or organizing a hike up the adjacent hills to watch the wondrous sunset. We feel that it is the small things that make your stay with us memorable. So please come back to stay with us again soon.
Kindest regards from all of us here at Cocotinos Lombok.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desa Sekotong Barat
Holiday Resort Lombok
#7 of 7 in Mangsit
Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi
Living Asia Resort and Spa Lombok

Been to Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!