“AWESOME ”

Hoosegow Charcoal Restaurant
Reserve a table
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in St Morris
Price range: US$7 - US$76
Description: Hoosegow Charcoal Restaurant and Bar. Modern Australian (a fusion of Latin American, Asian and Eastern flavours) cooked over charcoal. A new place with great atmosphere, relaxed and cool vibe where you can experience Charcoal Deliciousness!
Reviewed 10 August 2019 via mobile

I have never been one to over rate anything but this restaurant needs to be given that honour. Service is second to none and the food was amazing. A bit on the expensive side but well worth the experience. Do not deny yourself the pleasures of what this place has to offer.

Date of visit: August 2019
2  Thank molz61
Shadia O, Manager at Hoosegow Charcoal Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2019

WOW!!! Thank you SO MUCH for dining at hoosegow and for your AWESOME review!! It was our absolute hoose-pleasure! We look forward to seeing you again. The hoose-team :) :) :)

Write a reviewReviews (199)

Reviewed 29 July 2019

What's not to love about this wonderful restaurant! From the moment you walk through the door, into the warm 'quirkiness' of the South American/Spanish inspired decor, the friendly staff go 'above and beyond' to make you feel special and taken care of. The menu is quite extensive- it was hard to choose from the many 'yummy-sounding' dishes on offer - but we settled on their Crispy Pork strips as our entrees and Signature Chilli Chicken and a Steak for mains. Absolutely perfecto! But be warned- the serves are extremely generous! (We opted for a 'doggy bag' for the leftovers- far too good to waste!) Apparently, the name Hoose Gow means 'prison': if that is the case, I would be happy to 'never be released.' We will certainly be back- and will sing it's praises to all and sundry! So good! The owners/managers sure know how to do it right!

Date of visit: July 2019
Shadia O, Manager at Hoosegow Charcoal Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2019

WOW!!! Thank you SO MUCH for dining at hoosegow and for your 'EXTRAORDINARILY GOOD' and AMAZING review!! So wonderful to know you enjoyed your hoose-diningh-experience. We look forward to seeing you again. The hoose-team :) :) :)

Reviewed 27 July 2019 via mobile

Visited for a family birthday dinner. From the moment we were greeted at the front door the service was perfect. We chose the meat plate and a couple of side dishes which was the correct amount of food for 4 people .
Delicious food and a lovely atmosphere. This place is deceptive as doesnt look like much from the outside but such a lovely ambience inside. The place was very busy which is testament to its amazing food.
Such a great variety on the nenu

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank 40ish

Thank you SO MUCH for dining at hoosegow and for your WONDERFUL review!! So good to know you enjoyed your hoose-dining-experience! We look forward to seeing you again. The hoose-team :) :) :)

Reviewed 14 June 2019

"hoose gow" - I never did find out what that meant. The children's menu was called "little hooses" - so I don't know if "hoose" meant people or plate. I think the main flavour / theme is Mexican char grill and North American style BBQ. Unlike most Argentinian restaurants I have experienced - plenty vegies with everything.

Entrees:
I liked all the entrees that we tried : the DIY assembly garlic bread: bits of cibatta toast, rounds of butter, a half a garlic bulb cooked to a spreadable consistency, vegie empanadas (like pasties) in a hot red sauce, and the crispy pork strips which were a little chewy but very tasty, for some reason when it said "crispy" on the menu I was expecting pork crackling - it isn't.

We had a table of five gluten eaters and one gluten free and dairy free - we had to cut the toast pieces in halves and the pasties into thirds because there were not enough to have one each - would have been nice we had been advised how many pieces in each serve so we could have ordered more or asked for them to be cut up. Note - mains are very big so don't need a lot of starters.

We also had the fat chips as entree - which were delicious and overshadowed all other varieties of potato served.

Mains:
I tasted the lamb back strap, and the ratatouille with quinoa and chick peas vegie dish and liked these best.

I didn't get to try the barra but the greens on that plate were nice.

My nephew had the chilli chicken and that must have been good because he was not sharing with anyone and he cleaned the plate...

I am very sensitive to acid in food - so some of it was too acid/lemon/lime/vinegar pickle for my taste. I need to pay more attention to the menu but I'm not sure if "Mexican bean salad" would have clued me in.

I had the slow cooked smoked brisket and I liked the first couple of pieces and then the taste got a bit strong. My brother and I did not like the cold bean salad at all. I've never been a huge fan of broad beans - and cold cooked broad beans with vinegar pickle things on top - not worth eating in my opinion and I had eaten a fair few of the fat chips and the roast potatoes were not nearly so nice. I didn't think it was right to send back - just something I didn't happen to like.

This is where the difference between an excellent restaurant and an average one starts... the boss lady noticed I had not eaten much on my plate so she asked why... and I told her... And even though we disagreed about the potatoes - she still wanted to do something to make it right for me. I was pretty full at that point but I had been eyeing off the chocolate dessert. So I had that (very nice) and shared it with my niece. I appreciate when a restaurant genuinely wants feedback and is gracious if you're a bit negative.

Mains started around $44 (June 2019) going up for the lobster or giant bits of steak . Serve sizes suit active football players - we had two footy players at our table - the rest of us had a hard time finishing our mains.

I also recognised a lot of the names on the wine list and we had one I had not tried - Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy Shiraz - according to the guy who served it - it does not contain any (minimum) sulphur preservatives (and it was quite young) - so the serving process was something I'd only seen my Uncle do before (he was a professional wine snob)... The wine started off smelling quite earthy and then opened up to a full fruity goodness - delicious.

We were there to celebrate my brother's birthday - so they did something for him. And he was appreciative. The bill wasn't quite right (some other table probably got a free glass of wine...) but they also fixed that without fuss. We had ordered a beetroot side which never showed up so we got that crossed off at the end of mains - so it never appeared on the bill - we don't know what happened to that.

Note for amex fans - they don't take that card - which is understandable and common because amex is the highest cost to merchants.

So overall - things did not go completely smoothly - but the staff went above and beyond to make things right when we let them know.

Date of visit: June 2019
Shadia O, Manager at Hoosegow Charcoal Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2019

Thank you SO much for dining at hoosegow and for taking the time to offer your review. It is appreciated. We LOVED hosting your table and understand that certain flavours were not for you. We ALWAYS welcome feedback. This helps us to understand exactly what our guests are experiencing whilst dining with us. If there is anything you would like explained we are only too happy to talk you through it ... please just ask. (Just so you know... one of your guests asked us to remove the beetroot salad from your order) We value ALL our guests and aim to offer you the BEST hoose-experience ALWAYS. We do hope to see you again. The hoose-team :) :) :)

Reviewed 8 June 2019 via mobile

We've had the pleasure of dining at Hoosegow in the past and tonight's experience was equally enjoyable as our previous visits.

Our group was warmly welcomed and seated at a spacious table. Although the restaurant was busy, staff were incredibly attentive and obliging, offering to explain the dishes to some of the first time diners in our group.

The confit garlic was a delicious start to the evening. The Hoose Choy Bow was as good as we remember it and the crunchy pork strips accompanied by a serve of mojito salsa were very tasty.

Our main courses were of a generous size. The steak knife really wasn't needed as the Wagyu beef was a melt in the mouth texture. Other guests enjoyed the beef brisket, the lamb backstrap and the barramundi. I opted for the signature chilli chicken with jalapeno aioli and green vegetables. It certainly didn't disappoint!

Miss Ten ordered the chicken with fat chips, again a good sized serve which she struggled to get through. Her dad happily finished the meal for her!

My only regret is that none of us were able to fit in any of the tempting offerings on the dessert menu. We shall have to return soon and rise to the challenge.

Thanks to Shadia and the team for a great night.

Date of visit: June 2019
Shadia O, Manager at Hoosegow Charcoal Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2019

Thank you SO MUCH for dining at hoosegow and for your SUPER BRILLIANT review!! It is ALWAYS our hoose-pleasure to see you. So wonderful to know you enjoyed your hoose-experience :) We look forward to seeing you again. The hoose-team :) :) :)