“A touch of luxury”

Ranked #1 of 1 Penshurst B&B and Inns
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
“A touch of luxury”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights as part of a wedding party . Staff were friendly and helpful and the setting beautiful. Very convenient for Penshurst Place. The bedroom was luxurious with a very comfortable bed. There was little space to store clothes and the lighting dim. However this was not really a problem until we needed some privacy when getting changed, the heavy curtains blocked out prying eyes but also the light.. Privacy in the bathroom was an issue with the blind not fully fitting the window. Considering the price we were disappointed not to have toiletries replaced after the first day. Given the cost of the weekend it was a shame that cooked breakfast was not included. Bar prices were high. In the morning were were awoken by the sound of chairs being arranged on the wooden floor below and at night the banging doors were obvious. All in all, a very expensive weekend which, with some small changes, could have been better but all in all a great historic establishment with a touch of class, with lovely staff.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor you might not hear the noise from below
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights for the late May bank holiday as we were attending a wedding at Penshurst Place. The staff were very friendly and couldn't,t do enough to be helpful. We stayed in a superior room with a 4 poster and it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The bathroom was very well appointed with both a bath and shower and toiletries and nice white towels were all provided. There was also a hair dryer. In the room there was hanging space and a bureau with drawers underneath. There was tea/coffee making facilities in the room as well as biscuits and hot chocolate and china cups! The breakfast was plentiful and included cereals, fresh fruit, juice, milk, delicious yoghurt, butter and jam. For £8 you could have a cooked breakfast which I though was a bit pricy but people who had it said it was very nice. We didn't,t have any other meals there but friends who did said the food was excellent. My only criticism was that I would have liked a blind at the window as there was no privacy getting changed. the room was very dark with the curtains shut and the lights were quite dim so I couldn't,t see to put my make up on!!!
it wasn't a cheap stay but you are paying for the lovely fixtures and fittings as well as the building and great service! just right for a one off special occasion like a wedding. thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back so no road noise(although to be fair there wasn't much anyway)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gillliz s
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stopped here for lunch with 12 others when out walking on Saturday 24/05/14 and the food was excellent and reasonably priced with quick service and very friendly staff
Great to have this pub available

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

From start to finish the staff here could not do enough to make us feel welcome and even provided a locked shed to store our bicycles. The pub itself is stunning and Penshurst is a beautiful little village that really does feel like you are stepping back in time. The bedroom was lovely. We had the standard double which was cosy but comfortable. It was quite warm in the room at night so we had the window open and could here a bit of the passing traffic. The showers are amazing, very much appreciated after a long day cycling. The complimentary continental breakfast included , cereal, fresh fruit, fresh juice, yogurts and croissants followed by a lovely cappuccino . The cooked breakfast is an extra £8. We ate dinner in the pub for 2 nights and both nights we were really impressed. Great service, well presented, delicious food and decent portion sizes. There is also a very pretty beer garden at the back of the pub where they dont serve food yet but was perfect for a couple of drinks before dinner. The great hospitality from every member of staff here combined with the beautiful setting of this traditional pub made this a very relaxing and enjoyable break from London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abmeiste
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Not busy at all
Maybe has something to do with the outrageous prices
£9.00 for a glass of prosecco ??
Every other pub in area charges £5-£6
Food menu looked boring and overpriced
With much better pubs nearby
Spotted Dog,, just up the road and the Windmill in the Weald
Both with much better choices of Ale and food
Give this pub a miss
Don't waste your time,,,,

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Marshaltown
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding at Penshurst Place. (Incidentally, if you are planning to do the same, be aware that the private entrance at Penshurst, although only a short walk from the hotel, is pure countryside-no pavements- and although we had a torch, a bit scarey with the cars whipping past unable to see us! )
The staff at the hotel are lovely. A credit to the place. We were warmly welcomed and our four poster room was very comfortable. You have to remember that this is an extremely old building and so I wasn't expecting the fabulous shower, the good lighting and the lovely decor. The bed was so comfortable. It's quite a small room and there wasn't much room to put toiletries, clothes etc but for one night it didn't matter. The curtains were rich and thick and although the headlights of passing cars were visible they were softened as much as possible. Really nice.

Things fell apart a bit the next morning. We had paid £159 for bed and continental breakfast and we could have paid an extra £8 each for a cooked breakfast. We're trying to be good so we just opted for the continental in with the price of the room. Trouble was, we got down to breakfast at about 9am. We sat at a laid table but were moved by the very sweet waitress to a little table by the window. Unfortunately, this table was so squeezed in, and there was a gentleman right behind me, I could only sit sort of side saddle on the chair! I couldn't have eaten a cooked breakfast like that even if I'd wanted to! There was a jug of orange juice, almost empty and a plate with one plain croissant on it. There was a plate of chocolate croissants but I'm not keen on chocolate at breakfast. So there was cereal, apple juice and one croissant between us. The waitress confirmed there weren't any more available.

It appeared to me that the people who were having cooked breakfasts were also helping themselves to the continental breakfast. Fair enough but then you must make sure you have enough to go round. There wasn't any fresh fruit or yoghurt so essentially it was just cereal and chocolate croissants. I also fancied a second cup of coffee but the waitress didn't appear again! All this needs to solve it, is a basket of croissants -or a rack of toast - on each table and a cafetiere!! And juice jugs refilled. Such small things but I'm not good in the morning and one cup of coffee and no fruit, plain croissant or even rolls and toast doesn't seem right for the price paid. I hope they use this as constructive criticism as I've only dropped one star and it's only a tweak!
Otherwise I would very much recommend this lovely, friendly place and I really hope to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have just returned from a trip to Brands Hatch and we were fortunate to have stayed at this hotel for two nights and I can not explain how wonderful the two nights were.I felt I had stepped back in time as it was filled with antique furniture and original fixtures and fittings from days gone by and the most wonderful view from our bedroom window.In the bedroom we were amazed to find a bone chine tea set not your usual chunky,cheap mugs. Andthe bedding was amazing.Best nights sleep we've had for a long time.I cant praise this hotel enough. If you want to feel like you'rein the middle of a period drama visit this hotel.You will not be disappointed. Personally I cant wait to go back.Staff were wonderful also.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sharon B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penshurst
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
One Warwick Park Hotel
One Warwick Park Hotel
#1 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to Leicester Arms? Share your experiences!