“Try to avoid this. Not worth the high price, bad service”

Casta Diva Resort & SPA
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blevio
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I have stayed 100+ nights in the Small Luxury Hotels (SLH) over the years. This one was so far the weirdest of all.

We had booked a Deluxe Room with a really nice lake view, I also ask for that in an additional information.

Booking is a mess. Since their websites reservation did not work, I tried to contact them via email. They answered to me 3 days later after I managed to book a room through different site.

We arrive to the hotel, everything is ok. They tell us that we are upgraded to a suite (very nice!) and told us would we like to see the spa before we head to the room. We did and saw this amazing spa with suite rooms etc. Very nice.

Then the [--] starts to hit the fan..

We are taken into the suite, with a nice red decor. However it had a garden view and very very partial lake view. Since I was at Lake Como and paid almost 3k€ for the stay, I needed to have the lake view as I asked.

We then asked if we could have the Deluxe room, since it is with a view to the lake. They told us that it would be in a different building and we do no like it etc. Still, I had seen the pic and wanted to see the room. We arrived to the room with a golf cart since it was a very steep hill. The buildings interior decor was copied from a cheap Las Vegas hotel. When we entered the room, we were met with a bunker-looking view to the lake, just awful. Some cheap furniture in the dark and very narrow balcony. Room decor was just cheap.
At this point I told the personal that if these are the only choices, We take this one and leave the next day. The lady smiled and left.
I immediately went to internet and found for the same day a room in Villa d'Este, other side of the lake (recommend that one!). Then called the reception that we are leaving, can they pickup our stuff and get our car.
Ones we got our stuff outside, the marketing manager (lady) popped by and asked don't we like the room. We told them that we we're suggested two rooms and both were not what we had booked. At this point they recommended another one (which suddenly is comes available at this point). I told them since they had not given us what we booked, we would leave to another hotel which we booked already.
Now the funny part: Marketing manager asks the servant standing next to us in Italian did we have a camera with us? I did not say anything to her but smiled when she looked at me. I did have my iphone and the below pic is from that room.

Pool. Make sure its open before you go there. Outdoor pool was closed (Ville d'Este was open)

Summa Summarum, if you are ever at Lake Como, stay out of this hotel. Eventhough the spa looks great, the hotel itself lacks the luxury it promises to deliver.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
14  Thank LittleFox77
CastaDivaManagement, Direttore Marketing & Sales at Casta Diva Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Guests,

thank you for your feedback; however we feel we have to clarify a few points stated in it:
- Reservations: we have never experienced any problems with our on line booking system Vertical Booking; infact we have received many reservations same weekend you tried to book the resort. Your email was received on Friday night (the reservation office was already closed) and promptly answered on Monday (reservation office is open from Monday to Friday). Your reservation was then delivered through our GDS, Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
- Booking was confirmed for a deluxe lake view room (category which, as per our description, is located in Villa Dorabella) and you have received a free 2-step upgrade to a beautiful suite with side lake view located in Villa Roccabruna (the original Villa and heart of the resort). Suite was nr. 1308 which actually does not have any red furniture.
- Upon your request, you have been taken to Villa Dorabella to see the original room category booked, a deluxe double, which is sq.mt. 65,00 and features a 9 sq.mt balcony with lake view; room was on the second floor. Villa Dorabella is located on a high area of the resort, but it is less than 5 minutes walk from the lake level. Golf cars are at disposal of our guests.
- Decor of the room is contemporary and has nothing to do with Las Vegas style....Bellagio hotel is in Vegas while on Lake Como you only find the originals!
- Considering this room did not satisfy your requirements as well, we offered you a deluxe on a higher floor (moving a guest who was supposed to stay in that room) in the same Villa, option which was not accepted.
- I met you personally to see if we could satisfy you somehow. When I realized there was nothing to do, I asked my colleague who took you around if there was some bags or luggage left in your room....the funny part is that "camera" is the Italian word for "room"....not "macchina fotografica"! We are not worried about pictures and images of all our room categories, which are available on our web site and more on request.
We feel that it's hard to judge a place if you do not really experience any of the services provided; we are sorry that your negative report is the result of a team who has been completely dedicated to you, offering more than 3 different options and taking you around the property with the only purpose to make you happy.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Casta Diva is an absolutely gorgeous resort - stunning water setting and vistas The decor is stylish and rich with every amenity. Our room was spacious and sleek with private patio overlooking the lake. Service and cuisine exceptional. a magical place!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
CastaDivaManagement, Direttore Sales & Marketing at Casta Diva Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank You for taking time in leaving a great feedback regarding your recent stay at CastaDiva Resort & Spa.

We truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like You, and We all look forward to your return.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Highly recommend this beautiful and romantic place for honeymooners. This is one of the hidden gems. It is art deco style architecture with very nice modern touch. I loved this ultra modern details in art and furniture. Food was excellent and the spa was the best I had ever seen. Service was great and all property amazing and great maintain. I would love to come back again.

1  Thank SoniaFlorida

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking time in leaving your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.
We are very pleased to hear that you loved CastaDiva Resort & Spa experience. Your compliments were a pleasure to read. We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I have never stayed at such a wondrous place. If you are looking for somewhere to simply disappear in an effortless level of luxury then this resort - to call it a hotel is too simplistic to be honest - is the place for you. You can literally do as much or as little as you wish, to be specific we made this a base for visiting around Como and this included trips by train to Milan and Venice, as well as boat tripping around the lake, but if you wanted to stay put for the whole of your stay to just let the would stop and pass you by then it is equally ideal.

I would like to jump in here and answer some of the criticism I have seen in some other reviews. firstly the place is 5 STAR and the costs go along with this, the resort is built into the rock sidewall of the lake and yes there is a serpentine roadway between the main buildings and the other villas, room complexes, but this IS fully visible in the resort website so be prepared to have the little trips in the golf buggy - it adds to the experience and actually is both practical and atmospheric.

The Spa was a real experience, so many different experiences for novice and old hands alike. The consultation before the treatments was well worth while as the tailored osteopathic session on the last day was simply wonderful. The weather did not allow use of the floating outdoor pool but this is a engineering feat well worth looking at, as is the faultless sympathetic building of all the rooms and villas into what was pure rock face.

The staff were excellent, every person regardless of role, greeted us with a smile that was genuine and natural. Nothing was too much effort, for example within 10 minutes of mentioning our planned sight seeing agenda we got train time tables and prices, advice as to what to do/not to do came freely - and was spot on by the way. The restaurant experience was very good, breakfast was simply exhaustive in choice and quality of food and again service.

I have had the privilege of staying in some excellent 5 star hotels in several countries, business and pleasure, and have always asked myself would I return - I never felt such a consuming sense of "yes, I will come back" as I did in the case of this wonderful gem of a place here on the shores of Lake Como.

1  Thank BGuillaumeD
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We went there in a rainy and cold weekend at the end of April. The location is amazing with all the details from the service to the rooms decoration are done to make you living the atmosphere of a19th century opera.
The rooms are located in various buildings well integrated in the lake-coast and ours was in the upper floor of Villa Dorabella with a fantastic balcony with a stunning view over the lake.
Given the weather conditions we spent most of our time in the luxurious Spa located under the main building at the level of the lake. The hotel was full and most of the other guests had the same idea but the Spa it is sufficiently big not to have the feeling of being overcrowded. Only the conditions of the changing rooms were suffering a bit the peak.
The restaurant is also excellent and you do not need to go anywhere else to remain in the same atmosphere for the entire duration of your stay.
The perfect place for a romantic weekend in all weather conditions!

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floor of Villa Dorabella have an amazing balcony with view over the lake.
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Just returned from a surprise finale to a 4 day stay in the Lake Como / Maggiore area with my elderly parents and am so very pleased to have chosen this spectacular five star property for a very memorable and uber-luxe spurge.

First off, this is a clear case of "truth in advertising" i.e., the grounds, our suites, and the stunning spa were every bit as otherworldy + luxurious as the resort's website had presented. From the moment you arrive via the beautifully manicured drive, you know that you are in store for a hotel / resort experience like none other.

The management / staff could not have been more personable and attentive to our every need. I was beyond impressed and will be forever grateful for the kind attention that they showed my somewhat shell shocked parents :) - who were not at all expecting anything close to this highest standard of accomodations for our "finale" stay in the lake Como / Maggiore area.

Words cannot express my immense gratitude to all of the CastaDiva staff who each helped create a very special memory for us all. Grazie mille!!

Room Tip: I believe the rooms in the main Roccabruna villa are the ones that feature more of an old world meet...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bremar67
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We selected Casta Diva as the final destination of our 2 week European holiday. We walked/hiked thru Paris, Zurich and Lecco/Como averaging about 8-10 miles a day. We stayed in beautiful hotels throughout the vacation. So the thought of ending with a beautiful Spa was very appealing.
It was a birthday trip and every hotel except this one upgraded us -- it was off season so it wasn't crowded anywhere.
They were very attentive & the spa was absolutely fantastic!
We ate in the bar the 1st two nights - very intimate and romantic as we were the only ones there. The Restaurant -
Our final night we ate in the restaurant. We walked in & they asked if we had a reservation; they fumbled and tried to find it. The funny thing was - the restaurant was completely empty! We left after dinner & only 2 tables were taken. Lots of pomp & circumstance. I ordered the fish special. The waiter said it was a big fish -- so my husband agreed to share it. I had a starter slad & my husband had steak tartar. both were okay but not special. The foid in the bar was much better. When we got the bill it was about 100 Euros just for the fish. It was good but really? The other entrees were 20-27 Euros,
Nice - they sent a birthday cake to our room. So nice but it arrived after 11 at night.
Nice - the spa comped a nice drink before our massages in acknowledgement of my birthday.
Not great - the night before we left, we needed to go to bed early to get up at 5 am & make our flight. After midnight, there was a knock on the door & a bel,man insisted on coming in to check our mini bar. He came in & looked & left. I complained to the front desk. They apologized that he had the wrong room.
Getting to the airport - be very careful. Their price was more than double for a taxi vs getting it on your own.
The grounds, the hotel and spa were beautiful. We got a good rate because it was off season.
If you book this hotel, plan on the costs being high; a d I wouldn't eat in the restaurant..
The room - pretty. The bathroom was the best part. Huge tub.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blevio
Grand Hotel Imperiale
Hotel Belvedere Bellagio
Palace Hotel
Palace Hotel
#3 of 32 in Como

Been to Casta Diva Resort & SPA? Share your experiences!