My wife and I stayed at the Black Orchid the first week in April 2014. We booked the all inclusive package including tours and meals. Our main goal was to have an adventurous vacation that would allow us to experience Belize and the resort fit our needs perfectly.
When we first arrived we were a little reserved. As this was our first trip to Belize, we were not sure what to expect, and the resort just didn’t have the wow factor as you drove up. But after a day or two - when you get to know the staff, howler monkeys, iguanas and crocodile (across) the river - you begin to appreciate where you are and wouldn’t have it any other way. The pool was always clean and the grounds were very well kept. There were kayaks, paddleboats and canoes available for the river, as well as bicycles that you can use to ride into the village about a mile away. Never had a problem with bugs except for a few bites. After sundown the place becomes pleasantly peaceful.
The rooms (in the new building at least) are modern, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Way more than exceeded our expectations.
As our meals were part of the package we ate mostly at the resort restaurant. Meals and service were excellent, we tried many of the selections and were never disappointed. The dinner specials were especially tasty and included an appetizer and dessert.
Ultimately the staff is what makes Black Orchid stand out, and you will probably not appreciate this fully unless you stay a few days. I can’t say enough about how we were treated and how they genuinely cared about us having everything we needed for a perfect stay. This level of personal service is what completely separates this resort from any other trip we have been on.
As most reviews mentioned little about the tours, I will. All of our tours were part of the package and kept us plenty busy. Most started at 8AM and lasted most of the day. The package provides an excellent variety of tours, each giving a unique experience. They are led either by the Black Orchid staff or contracted with other providers chosen by the resort. All were very informative and professionally guided. The selection is ideal for an overview of the area and what it has to offer – we found each one completely different and exciting. Even the lunches were way above the typical sandwich and chips, and most were hot cooked meals. Some require a bit of physical activity, especially the ATM cave tour.
A few suggestions - It would be nice to heat the tub on top of the new building. We went up there after a long day of activities thinking it would be a perfect place to unwind, but found the pool chilly and the area dark. Would be nice to see an alcoholic beverage included at dinner with the package. Nothing like a cold Belizian beer to end the day, but seemed odd to have to pay for it. And, although we didn’t need the continental breakfast, the few times we did walk through the selection appeared to be very limited and picked over which agrees with other reviewers.
Overall, we highly recommend the Black Orchid. It completely deserves its high rating. I feel many of the lower reviews are due to people who only stay for a day or two and don’t have the opportunity to experience what the five star people are talking about.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belize has such contrasts from the beaches to the jungle to the Mayan ruins, from the rivers to the Cayes, a good base from which to see it all, is the Black Orchid Resort on the banks of the Belize River on the outskirts of Burrell Boom Village, fifteen minutes from the international airport it’s easy to reach and easy to leave from. Just a short distance away from Belize City, the resort is also within an hour’s drive of most of the country’s mainland attractions, making it a convenient launching point for your vacation adventures. We provide accommodations with an ambiance of environmental radiance, alluring air conditioned rooms and immaculate, quiet and safe grounds. We are an excellent alternative to Belize City and gateway to all Belize has to offer; with knowledgeable guides and transportation for snorkeling, deep sea fishing, cave tubing, Maya Ruin tours, complimentary international airport shuttle, free use of kayaks, canoes, peddle boats and free wireless internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Black Orchid Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Orchid Hotel Burrell Boom
- Black Orchid Belize City
- Black Orchid Resort Belize/Burrell Boom