“never again”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bir El Bey
london
“never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2006

just got back a few days ago. still not welll. transfer to resort is longer than plane. got to hotel at 3am no refreshments room service and ir is suppossed to be 4 star. original room dirty pillows sheet didnt fit bed no sea view as promised. was actually in carribbean world next day transferred to sun beach room better but no way 4 star. free drinks vile neglible alcohol lager and soft drinks not all that. thought food was ok but day
4 vomiting sweating you can guess the rest. wasnt the sun i was careful and i wasnt drinking. in the snack bar saw flies
all over the food quite a few others ill as well. in the middle of nowhere. outside the resort you expect to bump into kate adie. i
couldnt go outanyway cos of sickness etc 95 percent of entertainment in french . swimming pool is lovely and majority of staff very friendly and very good with kids. highlight was our cleaner who was so funny and worked very hard. just remembered got a bottle of water on arrival but we had to ask and my boyfriend swears it was filled up from the tap. reception area toilets were never stocked up either no loo roll or no soap and these were next to dining area. reallly glad when hometime came got to monastir and customs official stole 50 pound sterling off my partner when he searched him. got it back when i
caused a commotion and my partner insisted 50 quid was missing so please beware of that. all in all when landed at gatwick i could have kissed the ground. iam going to complain officially will be asking for my money back shouldnt send english to this hotel.

• Liked — thre cleaner
  • Disliked — uncomfortable pillows
  • Tips/Secrets — dont go
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank hildastick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2006

Me and my friend went on the 14 june for a week. We were a bit uneasy after reading the mixed reviews especialy as we were two girls goin on our own! The hotel was great and as soon as we came through the door we had a drink in our hands...cant complain!!!
The staff are very friendly...even to us brits! The sales people can get anoying but they tend to get the hint eventualy!

The pool is fab and the beach is very clean. They always semed to have activities goin on like vollyball, waterpolo, dance, archery etc. But we were there to relax and soak up the sun. The kids entertainers are amazing and always give 110%

The selection of food is huge (so i dnt see why people complain) even if you dont want to try all the local food on offer ther was still pizza, pasta, sauce, chicken, beef, potato and lots of deserts and fruit. There was even a chef ther cookin what you want infront of you!

For the price of the holiday and what you received it was definatly above average, and we enjoyed it thoroughly and would definatly go again.

But ladies bewere!!! The "men" will ask you for marrage after one day even though there camp as a row of pink tents!

From zo n lyns!

P.s....dont go on the pirate boat trip, unless your fond of vomit everywere, and no you wont see dolphins! :D

• Stayed June 2006
12 Thank Pikinzi
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2006

As a family we had a fantastic time at this hotel. Please dont be put off by the bad reviews as I was scared to go here but glad I did.
The staff are very friendly and dont expect tips like they do at other parts of Tunisia.
The animation team are fantastic and they do not favour the French its just I think its harder for them to understand English so can talk better to the French if you can speak French then all the better.
The kiids club there is brilliant I hardly saw my children on holiday as they were taken to the kids club twice a day and even sat at the special kids table at meal times then taken to the kids disco until 9.30pm. They loved it and my daughter aged 8 was in tears when we had to leave.
The hotel is very clean and the chamber maids do a fantastic job and even do special things like arrange your towels in swans or pick fresh flowers for your room. The food well its up to you and how adventurous you are I didnt starve at all as there was plenty of choice. The hotel is well maintained and although we had a leak with our sink it was sorted within an hour. We had a big room too. Dont go thinking its the same as a 4 star here as it isnt (think how much you are actually paying for the room) but compared to the hotel I stayed at on the sahara trip(I was in tears it was disgusting) our room was heaven.I would take a travel kettle too as you dont always feel like sitting down stairs for a cup of tea and we sometimes liked to go and chill in our room with a cup of tea.
The pool and beach are clean and there are plenty of sun beds.
The relax centre is very cheap and I got a turkish bath, salt scrub, mud wrap and massage for £30.
Beware though your first day there you will be bombarded with people offering you trips, tattoos etc if you dont want to go say No and they will not bother you again for the rest of your stay if they do just complain to you tour rep.
The views are wonderful from the hotel you have the mountains at one side and the beach. I loved sitting on my balcony watching the views I didnt miss my tv at all.
The place is quite remote but you can venture out as there are a few shops and the train station is only half an hours walk down the road or 1 dinar in a taxi but there are plenty of organised trips through your rep.
When we went the weather was fantastic apartfrom our last 2 days there. That can be annoying and I would arrange to go out on the train when that happens as there isnt much to do then. In the entertainment bit the animation team do organise indoor activities and there are lots of board games etc in the animation box but it can be a bit annoying stuck in one big room with lots of French and Germans.
All in all a fantastic time and we cant wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank eehaa
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2006

I was a litle nervous heading to this hotel as I had read some of the other reviews but when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The entertainment staff met us from our transport and carried our cases into the reception, we were sat with a drink in our hands before I knew it! The hotel itself is very clean and spacious, the pool is lovely and staff very friendly. There were not many english people staying whilst I was there, but most of the staff could understand some english so we had no problem. The evening enterainment left a little to be desired, but on the whole I would recommend this hotel. I am already planning another week there later this year!

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank LeanneAlise
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2006

Me and my girlfriend went on this holiday and we felt very welcome. As two girls dating we got very weird looks, as it is against their religion. However all the animation staff were kind and understanding! They were so fun and entertaining. We went in October and it was so hot and lovely as it was not peak time. Therefore there was only about 10 people around the pool in a day.. the rest at the beach.
However the food was ARWFUL.. me and my girlfriend lived off a bread stick a day for a week.. the coke was proper coke so I lived off that. They only do beer an wine.. the beer is too strong tasting.
The other thing is the men.. they made us feel very uncomfortable they did not stop staring. They also asked us to come to their room so beware if you are going on your own.. don’t walk down the dark path to the beach.. you will get spoken to and come on to !
However we had the best holiday of our life!!

Stayed October 2005
7 Thank LeeannCurtis
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2005

Having read some reviews about Sun Beach I was worried my friends and I had been hasty when booking and should have researched the hotel first, however I am glad we didn't as we would have missed out on a great holiday.

The hotel was lovely and the rooms clean and air conditioned. The pool was huge and the variety of food was excellent so long as you are happy to try stuff you don't get at home (if you're after McDonald's stay at home or try a bigger resort, thought they did do really nice chips a few times). The wine and spirits were not bad, I didn't try the beer.

The staff were friendly and helpful, not hostile towards English people like we had heard, most of the staff spoke good English but we tried out our limited French with those who didn't and coped quite well, it is after all quite ignorant to expect every foreigner to be fluent in English, especially when you are visiting their country. There were a few English guests but most were French or German.

The only problem we encountered was that our balcony door would not lock, however within an hour of us reporting this it had been fixed.

If you're looking for somewhere with a lot of night life this isn't the place to come but if you just want to relax, or if you have children I would recommend this hotel. There is cheesy entertainment on until 11pm and a night club near by, lots of activities to do during the day, such as aqua aerobics and beach volleyball and they often do quiz's by the pool. All of this in translated from French into German and English for everyone to join in.

There were 3 excursions on offer including one to Tunis, Carthage and Sidi Bou Said with plenty opportunities to shop in the markets, I would recommend this, it was good value for money and again, everything was translated into English and German. If you don't go on this it is worth a trip to Tunis anyway as it's not far, and the Medina is cheaper than the hotel shops. We got a taxi one day for about £15 between us to take us there and pick us up a few hours later. There is a train station at the top of the road which is much cheaper.

The other excusion we went on was traditional Tunisian entertainment and dinner in Hammamet. This was not bad, men loved the belly dancer and there was a guy performing stunts with swords etc but we were left sitting for over an hour before we even got anything to drink while the rest of the guests arrived. Also, if you are animal friendly you probably wouldn't appreciate the prodding and tormenting of snakes and lizards purely to get the audience to scream.

Overall we were really pleased with everything about the hotel and would definately go there again.

• Stayed June 2005
25 Thank Gnomie81
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2005

sun beach is not for the british. As two girls on our own we were subjected to constant hassle from the staff and also from the sales men who sold trips at the hotel. The room we had was lovely and also clean. The food appeared to consist of chicken casserole served for both lunch and dinner which became extremely boring. The free drinks were not worth drinking and i stuck to fanta for the entirety of the holiday. The entertainment was repetitive and all in french. I cannot work out why english people are brought here as they made it clear they dont like us. I certainly would not advise single women to come here. It is miles in a taxi to the nearest touristy resort (hammamet) and having tried the train once we got pointed at by locals and when walking past a school the children threw stones at us which was very scary. In the end i was counting the days to come back. This is the worst holiday i have ever been on.

• Stayed May 2005

SplashWorld Venus Beach
SplashWorld Venus Beach
#6 of 117 in Hammamet
Movenpick Hotel Gammarth Tunis

Been to Sun Beach Resort? Share your experiences!