“Gem of a hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cleeve Hill
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Gem of a hotel”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just back after spending six days here with hubby and good friends. The hotel was very comfortable,excellent views,great food but most of all very friendly staff. We love to go walking and there are fabulous walks quite near the hotel. We shall return

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Parviz T, Manager at The Rising Sun Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our establishment, I am so pleased to hear that your stay with us was pleasant, and that you enjoyed our local walks in and amongst the Cotswold Way. I am glad to hear that every aspect of your stay from your room to dining with us were to your liking, and our service staff were friendly, we aim to give our guests unforgettable experiences that they treasure when leaving us.
Myself and the team at the rising sun look forward to your return.
Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We've stayed at this hotel many times over a number of years and found the standard very consistent, especially in its friendly and helpful staff. Wonderful place to stay in good weather as the views are superb, lovely outdoor eating area. Varied menu, expect "pub food", good size portions. Room very basic, we had a family room and there was no bedside table which was odd. Great breakfast even though it is now charged extra rather than included in the cost of the room, still worth having. Will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stefan d
Parviz T, Manager at The Rising Sun Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our establishment, I am pleased to hear you have enjoyed your many stays with us at that we have provided consistent and reliable service to you, we aim to give every customer and guest unforgettable memories that they can treasure. We have since added bedside tables into the twin rooms, to give the rooms a more homely feel, so thank you for your comments, it has helped us to improve our room standard.
Myself and the team at the Rising Sun look forward to your return for many more years to come.
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was good and the staff very friendly and helpful.Food and drink reasonable. The magnificent view over Bishops Cleeve is certainly worth its weight in gold. Being a Bank Holiday it was very busy but it wasn`t a problem and everyone was in good spirits.We had a very enjoyable stay celebrating a 65th birthday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Parviz T, Manager at The Rising Sun Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our establishment, I am extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your celebration stay with us, and honoured to know you chose our location to spend it at. Our views over bishops cleeve and the Malvern hills are as many guests and customers would agree spectacular.
Myself and my team at the rising sun look forward to seeing you again soon in the near future.
Kind regards
England
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Have just stopped 2 nights over the Bank Holiday. Negative points are (as previously mentioned by reviewers) for some very strange reason which I've never come across before the bottom sheet does not fit the bed so the top half of the pillows are resting directly on the mattress which doesn't seem very hygienic to me. No little extras such as a box of tissues or shampoo and shower gel which would have been nice. There is however hand soap and hand lotion in the bathroom. Although both the room and the bathroom were clean (in fact to a higher standard in some respects than other hotels we have stopped in) both the carpet and the lino in the bathroom were very, very dusty around the edges (and around the castors on the bed). Floor coverings do need a really good clean.

But now on to the positive points. The room was spacious, the bed was comfy and the views overlooking the front were spectacular. Two chairs in the bay window so lovely to sit and admire the view. Yes you do get noise from people outside and the main road but this didn't prove to be a problem.

Fortunately we had good weather and were able to enjoy walking up Cleeve Hill at the back of the hotel and found some really beautiful walks, so peaceful and again spectacular views. Also location ideal for exploring the Cotswolds.

Staff are very friendly and attentive and nothing seemed too much trouble. They all worked hard to make people welcome and are definitely the hotel's biggest asset.

The food was very good both at breakfast and in the restaurant on the night. However, at the price being paid for the room, breakfast really should have been included.

Entertainment was provided on the Sunday night by Greg Winters playing guitar and singing songs from the 60's and 70's and he really was excellent.

There is a lovely seating area in the reception part of the hotel so nice after the meal to sit back, again enjoy the view and get away from the hustle and bustle of the bar area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cakesy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our establishment, I am sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't up to our usual standard, we have since changed our linen sizes so that all sheets fit the beds correctly. Thank you for pointing this out to us. I am glad to hear that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and that our staff were at hand to make you feel at home. Our walks over bishops cleeve and the Cotswold way are very popular and have outstanding views, pleased to know you had accompanying weather to join you on the walk.
I hope your negative experience hasn't put you off from staying with us again.
Myself and the team at the rising sun, look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here in May 2014 and the hotel was decent enough - a bit creaky and could do with updating and refurbishment. It's biggest pull is the location and with good weather Cleeve Hill is a great attraction. The room was ok, pretty outdated and a strange lino floor in the bathroom.

My biggest issue with the hotel is this: I stupidly left my electric toothbrush in the room, obviously my own fault. However, in a week I have attempted to call them five times. The first time I spoke with someone who promised me a call back...guess what?! Since then I have been unable to get through and you are unable to hold on the line and are instead put through to an answer phone. I have left two messages which have been unreturned and today, rather than leaving another I pressed '1' for sales and surprise, surprise, as the phone wasn't answered I was put through to a central call centre who said they would email the hotel - is that the best they can do!?

I have also emailed them although I'm not holding out much hope. Once again, my own fault but it's not a cheap item and I would like it back - of course I'm willing to pay P&P for my error.

Terrible, atrocious customer service - they obviously couldn't care less so I'll be staying somewhere else on my regular trips to Cheltenham.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Moonbeam1980
Parviz T, Manager at The Rising Sun Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our establishment, I am extremely sorry to hear that you didn't experience our usual prompt and efficient service that our customers and guests are acquainted to.
I will not make excuses for your experience with us, we aim to answer every call that we receive through, although due to popular demand our site does get inundated with calls everyday, we also regularly check our voicemails and return calls on a daily basis.
Unfortunately on this occasion this was not so. I can only apologise for the experience you have and invite you back to our establishment, even if it is only for a bite to eat.
Myself and the Team at the Rising Sun offer our sincerest apologies, and hopefully look forward to seeing you again soon.
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Couldn't fault the service, the prices of the food and drinks, or the quality. If the weather is good, The Rising Sun gets really busy, so if you are staying here and arrive after a long journey in good weather (as I did) you will have a problem parking.
My room was at the front with fabulous views over Bishops Cleeve and onto the Malvern Hills. The trade off to this could be some road noise and noise from people sitting in the gardens.
I would best describe the room as 'dated', whilst clean, it is clear that the furnishings are getting on a bit. The bed was comfortable. but as a previous reviewer has mentioned, the bottom sheet is too short for the bed, which was a little odd. The bathroom was clean, but again could do with freshening up. You come expect (rightly or wrongly) as small shampoo and shower gel in your room (a recent stay at a Travelodge proved the point). My room had hand soap only.
If you are paying the fully refundable rate, you may expect more than what there is, otherwise, you may choose to suck it up and enjoy the views on a late sunny afternoon and have some good food and drink at fair prices.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 1968ajs
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our establishment, I am extremely pleased to hear that most of your stay with us was to your liking. The Team at the rising sun pride themselves on their excellent customer service skills, so thank you for commenting on their hard work.
The Rising Sun tries to offer the best value on food and drink in the area as possible, and our themed nights are a big hit on wednesday with our Curry and Quiz nights, thursdays for our Sizzling nights and friday's for our Steak nights. This gives customers a great range of food to choose from.
In regards to your comments about the room, we have updated our linen so it fits the beds in the correct manor. We have also included shower/shampoo gels into our bathrooms to give guests a better standard of service and more homely feel for when they stay with us.
I would have to agree on your comments about our stunning location, as we are aptly placed along the cotswold way with great views overlooking the malvern hills.
Myself and the Team at the Rising Sun look forward to seeing you again soon.
Malvern Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The services / staff where excellent if not too good! Too fast with questions but overall the food was ok to good not fine dinning but reasonable value for money and specials as a vegetarian were I usually struggle the veggi paella was really good.
But must agree with a previous review the place is due for a refit the tables are shabby and the chairs don't match! Too much if a Mitch match!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our establishment, our staff are extremely proud of their customers service skills, and rapport they build with customers. I am also pleased to hear you enjoyed our vegetarian option from our menu, at the Rising Sun we try to cater for our customers needs to the best of our ability and knowledge.
In regards to your comment about our decor, we make the best out of what we have got, although our furniture is tired, we ensure our establishment is thoroughly clean and tidy, to ease customers comfort.
Myself and the team at the Rising Sun look forward to your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleeve Hill
#13 of 22 in Cheltenham
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
#9 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!