We chose this place for our one night stay because of the description on their website. I quote: ' pictureseque ' and ' unspoilt surroundings ' and ' a perfect retreat ' It stands on the corner of an extremely busy roundabout of three busy roads, and is very noisy. There is traffic noise from 6am and it is continuous thoughout the day, so the description appears to be totally inaccurate
The website also states that it is ' nestled in the pretty village of Clyst St. George ' This is also inaccurate as the village is nowhere to be seen, we assume it is further up the busy and ( if walking ) very dangerous road, so again it appears to be very misleading.
There is also a statement that the St George & Dragon enjoys ' some of the best bedrooms in Exeter '
We booked a twin room which, thankfully was at the back of the hotel. It was quite small, which in itself was not a problem for one night. However, the bathroom was in an apalling state. The shower head was mouldy and the outer tube had split exposing the inner tubing. The tiles needed re-grouting and the shower curtain was approximately 18 inches too short so when we had our showers the water ended up all over the floor of the very small bathroom making it slippy and a safety hazzard. The toilet did not flush properly and the room can only be described as tatty and dirty.
The bed had hard, uncomfortable pillows and in the morning I found a receipt, belonging to a past guest, between the mattress and the bed linen which was a month old. One of the staff was called and shown the problems highlighted and my husband informed the duty manager before our departure and he was very apologetic. He stated that he would give us a £50 voucher to spend at an Innkeepers Lodge on a future visit.
We accepted this in the spirit in which it was given and left for our holiday in Cornwall confident in the view that something would be done to correct the faults.
However, since then I have read the more recent reviews, and the ones going back over at least 2-3 years focusing on the disappointed customers. They appear to suggest that nothing has been done. Many of them have a note attached from the manager with a similar text stating that ' he is sorry to hear of their disappointment and stating that he appreciated their comments etc. '
However,it would appear that the issues that have arisen many times have not yet been addressed, and so it looks as if the management are trying to diffuse the situation ( as they did with us ) rather than improve the standards
The room rate was £74.00 and under the circumstances was unacceptable for a substandard room, and extremely disappointing from a chain of pubs which should do a lot better for their customers.
My advice would be to find somewhere else to stay as this company does not seem to care about their customers.
My husband and myself would now welcome a response from the company
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just a few miles from Exeter, this unique 19th century lodge offers characterful yet convenient budget accommodation in the heart of Devon.Originally a brewhouse, skittle alley and stables, The St George and Dragon now provides a handy base for exploring Dartmoor National Park or the unspoilt beaches of two coastlines. As well as 21 recently refurbished bedrooms, it's home to a cosy, traditional pub - so if you love the food, drink and atmosphere of a classic country inn, you're in exactly the right place.Nestled in the pretty village of Clyst St George near Topsham, the lodge is surrounded by farms and historic buildings, including medieval Powderham Castle. Nature fans will love the acres of ancient moorland and the National's Trust's huge Killerton House Estate, which are both just a short distance away. Exeter itself is also well worth a visit, with its magnificent Gothic Cathedral, mysterious medieval underground passages and bustling quayside area full of shops and bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Innkeeper's Lodge Exeter, Clyst St George reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St George & Dragon Vintage Inn, Innkeeper`s Hotel Clyst Saint George
- St George And Dragon Vintage Inn, Innkeeper`s Lodge
- Innkeeper's Lodge Exeter, Clyst St George Clyst Saint George