“Not as billed”

Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunchideock
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This Hotel has 2 Rosettes from the AA for its Meals.So we had a high expectation of the food there. sadly it did not live up to its billing. The positives are that the Staff are very good, but the chef I did not meet.
I had a ale steak pie and chips. The pastry was very thin and so after been cooked( I suspect in a microwave) was very hard and uncuttable. The chips were not chips but very very thin french fries that you would expect at a fast food outlet.2nd night sausages ans mash, How can you get excited about that.Our room was clean and had an ensuite. however the wash basin was not in the ensuite but in the room. I had beem promised an executive room. The shower over the bath had to be seen to be believed.We were over the main entrance and bar and was a bit noisy. Also had a small double bed. When I complained I was told I had a view of the small garden. The menu is fixed and is the same every night. It is also very difficult to get too. The food did not live up to the expectation of 2 rosettes.In fact the Little Chef on the A38 2 miles away served better food and the service was excellent. The food is expensive and for what you get is very over priced. The hotel seems stuck in a 60's time warp. Strangely enough all the staff seem to be new, Would I visit again no chance. I have complained to the hotel but have not yet received any response.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pastorjohnWales
lordhaldon, Manager at Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2011

First of all I would like to say how upset I am that you did not enjoy your stay at The Best Western Lord Haldon Hotel, all the team and I try our very best for our guests to have a enjoyable stay.

With regards to your dining experience, we do not advertise that we are a two rosette standard.

We source local and fresh ingredients including our meats and produce, our dairy products come from a farm that has been supplying the hotel since it began. We use a traditional Devonshire butcher who has won many awards for his sausages and other meats. Like wise with the pies these are hand made using local ingredients with a short crust pastry which is thinner than some puff pastry pies found in some other establishments. These pies have won a gold award in the Taste of the West. I understand from members of our staff that you decided to eat in our restaurant on both nights of your stay and at no time did you mention that you were unhappy with your meals. It's our policy to deal with any issues immediately so all our diners have an enjoyable experience.

With regards to our menu selection, we offer main meals starting from £8.95 for a traditional choice up to £19.95 for a fine dining experience. We offer choices such as Salmon in a Champagne and dill sauce, Medallions of Beef with a red wine and wild mushroom sauce down to award winning hand made sausages with mash. We try to cater for all tastes and budgets.

Concerning our rooms, all rooms meet the AA 3 star standards and are checked each year. The room in question, meets the requirements of our grade and offers a wonderful view of the main hotel gardens.

We always try to offer an alternative room if a guest is unhappy with a room provided. When checking out with reception, you were asked if everything was satisfactory with your stay, at this point I understand that you mentioned you did not like having the hand basin in your bedroom. We explained that if you wished to visit again we would provide an alternative bedroom layout as only two rooms have a hand basin in the main bedroom..

We received your complaint by e mail at 18. 30 hours and we normally require at least 24 hours to investigate issues fully.

On a positive note, I am glad you found all our staff attentive and helpful.

Ms R Brown

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We took over the whole hotel for our Alvis touring holiday, a little tricky to find down the narrow lanes but well worth it. We were very well looked after by the staff, with good food, a really comfortable bed and lovely views across the countryside. Excellent parking for all our special cars and a lovely place to stay if you are looking for a quiet secluded break.
As no lift some of the rooms mean lots of stairs to climb or long passages to reach them, but help was offered with luggage.

Room Tip: 26 has a good view, but a bit of a treck to get to
  • Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 13 June 2011

An overnight stay to celebrate a friend's big birthday. Some of us decided it was too far for a day trip so stayed overnight. It rained all day but stopped early evening and we were able to go on a prepared walk given to us by the very helpful receptionists on duty. It got us out and exercised and we enjoyed the fresh air. The views must be stunning on a good day.

The room was big enough with nice views of the garden, but we definitely didn't like the fact that the wash basin was in the bedroom instead of in the bathroom. Nowhere to hang the hand towel. Apparently not all the rooms have this unique facility!

Seriously in the Devon countryside so beautifully quiet, however very close to Exeter by car.

14 of us met up for a meal in the evening and a big table organized for us which we appreciated. I made an individual request for a smaller portion, and was given this for which I was very appreciative.

Breakfast was excellent. I booked this several months ago through an internet site and got it cheaper than through the hotel itself.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Wedding venue was lovely with outdoor area and some nice views of the countryside. Food at the wedding was really tasty as was a light snack in the bar the evening before. Rooms of reasonable standard but perhaps a tad old fashioned. We had a sink in the bedroom rather than the bathroom. Breakfast was disappointing. Lots of parkin for guests. Staff helpful and flexible on check in and out.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2011

driving to the hotel via small winding country roads leads you to think the hotel is isolated and remote, it is! The style of the hotel is traditional but very basic in terms of decoration, my grandmother would have loved it. I checked in late 9:45pm and found the restaurant and kitchen closed. 8:45pm closes, luckily i phoned ahead so the chief made me a sandwich prior to leaving. As I sat in the bar area eating my neatly prepared sandwichthe only other person visible was the barman, nice enough guy but just a little solum looking.
I was amused / tickled by the mobility scooter positioned on the drive way with a for sale neatly positioned next to it. Found this very funny.
Overall a nice comfortable hotel if your looking for a quiet night in.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed on the nights of the 15th and 16th of May. We had a lovely room overlooking the courtyard, and above the dining room. As we stayed on a Sunday/Monday it was very quiet. They are a Wedding venue, so I don't know how loud it may be if a Wedding was on there. We ate in the Restaurant both nights and were very happy with the standard of food and service. There was also a great choice for Breakfast as well. On the Monday morning I made a request with reception that if possible, could they rotate our mattress. When we returned that evening,there was a totally different and amazingly comfortable one in its place. Staff were always happy and obliging and it was a perfect stopping point on the way to Cornwall.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2011

This Best Western is a real hidden gem in the English countryside. The young lady at reception was smart, proffesional and spent a lot of time to explain the origins of the residence. The evening meal was good but not excellent, but in the in the dining room there was a piano and they staff was so kind to make it sound to my daughter: we appreciated so much this kindness.
The location is superb and I would highly recommend to all.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchideock
Exeter Court Hotel
Jurys Inn Exeter
Jurys Inn Exeter
#11 of 31 in Exeter
Holiday Inn Express Exeter

Been to Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel? Share your experiences!