Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunchideock
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I booked this hotel as I was attending a seminar in a nearby hotel that did not permit dogs.

This is a very picturesque hotel and venue however be warned, if you are driving towards there at night you may be directed to use a single track road by your sat nav!

The welcome was warm and although for some reason the receptionist appeared to be unaware that I was accompanied by a dog, this only required a change of room.

The room was of a reasonable size, furnished with a double bed, a good size flatscreen tv and suffiicient storage. The ensuite bathroom had was equpped with a good mains shower and soap, shampoo and bath gel.

The hospitlality tray was generous with both still and sparkling water, mugs and biscuits.

Although there were several cars in the car park, when I went down to dinner only two other diners were in the restaurant.

My starter of a game terrine (which was excellent and very filling) was accompanied by two rolls sliced, something I have not come across before.

The main, sea bass with mussels was delicious although the sauce might be a tad sweet for some.

I found the piped festive music extermely intrusive.

The bed was very comfortable and in the morning I could take my dog straight out for a good walk down a right of way.

When I went to breakfast, again I was alone in the restaurtant, although joined later by some other guests.

I found it puzzling to be located at a table very close to the kitchen when the room was empty and the tinny music from the radio in the kitchen was EXTREMELY annoying, exacerbated by yet MORE piped music from reception.

So much for a nice, quiet, relaxing breakfast!

The continental choices were reasonable and I asked for poached eggs on toast and these were PERFECTLY cooked. Orange juice was cheap and cheerful and the toast a little anaemic.

The decor is a little tired but still clean and smart.

My room was only £40 so good value for money, however the charge for a dog is a little steep £7.50 per night) and I would not pay this if staying more than one night.

Sort the music out and that was the only real gripe I had. A good base for exploring the surrounding area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great location, stylish building and public areas. The hotel has a relaxing lounge, clean pleasant rooms - and bright, helpful staff. Very good food.
Poor signage in the area, so check web-site for route

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were very late checking in and the hotel reception contacted us to check if we needed food and then kept the reception early later to allow us to arrive. The reception staff were very polite and helpful. The building itself showed age a bit in places, but was pleasant and in pretty surroundings- well off the main road. The breakfast was really good, well cooked and served again by polite and helpful staff.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stay here, for value for money, and to help preserve this type of experience. It's cheaper than a travelodge! Places like this are an endangered species. The views are magnificent, and the hotel is a marvellous building.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The saying, "never read a book by its cover" comes to mind with this hotel. The staff were very professional, the food was cooked well and our hotel room was very clean, and extremely modern. This hotel is out of the way, but this is why we booked it. We would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

As on business Asked for a quiet room to get a good nights sleep. It was ok but overlooked the bar courtyard so lucky it wasn't a sunny, busy evening or it would have been noisy in the evening. Person in room next door woke us up very early as you can hear bathroom next door (if you ask for a quiet room in a clearly not full hotel why not put a guest in a room not next to other guests staying there to guarentee quietness?) Room clean, average decor. Twin room - one bed very creaky. Had a meal in the bar area, tired and dingy decor, food tired and dingy too. Would never visit again very disappointing for a Best Western. Only plus side is a lovely location near Haldon Hills and staff friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Red-rose-vintage
lordhaldon, Manager at Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. On behalf of myself and our whole team please accept my apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I hope that you will come visit us again so that we can offer you a superior stay.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01329832483.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey.

Kind Regards

Nina Fowler
Duty Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchideock
Exeter Court Hotel
Jurys Inn Exeter
Jurys Inn Exeter
#11 of 31 in Exeter
Holiday Inn Express Exeter

Been to Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel? Share your experiences!