“Good and bad, mixed feelings”
Review of CJ's Beach House

CJ's Beach House
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Birch Bay
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Kids, Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vancouver, Canada
“Good and bad, mixed feelings”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This place is overpriced, no doubt. It has a great view, no doubt. we've dined here several times as it is within a five minute walking distance. I felt compelled to write because of the reviews regarding groups and such...I made reservations for one of my daughter's group before Homecoming...and called back to change the time...both times they were very nice, never asked how much they'd spend, and when I asked if gratuity could be added and the checks split, they said that they'd work with them, no problem. My daughter said their experience was very good, no problems.

Although the food is expensive, everything we've ordered has tasted good, and service has typically been good as well. Something else happened to turn me off the place.

Although they had placed an ad for workers right around the opening of the restaurant, my oldest daughter tried to submit her resume to be a hostess several times and was told to come back to speak to the owner. She did, dressed nicely (and she is adorable, yes I'm biased but she is, almost straight A's and a cheerleader) and the owner was unspeakably rude to her, not even glancing at her resume and scrawling "Fast food" on the top of it (I guess they were trying to open a fast food place in their parking lot which never happened), telling her she couldn't handle the fast pace and she would be better off at fast food. Daughter ended up lifeguarding for the summer, not exactly an irresponsible "slow" position, and was in tears after that awful woman and her half baked "interview". I am assuming it is the same terrible woman referred to in many negative reviews on Trip Advisor.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Lucytoooo

Bellingham, Washington
“Lunch on a rainy day”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped for lunch on a Friday . Quiet day in birch bay with most people heading to warmer climates. Had fresh halibut fish and chips served with a side of cole slaw, wife had grilled mahi mahi fish tacos served with fries. Both were good, fish tasted fresh and clean, service was friendly and quick. Seasonal beer on tap was available at a fair $4.50/pint.

Visited November 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Over-priced, poor service”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We recently stopped by CJ's Beach House to watch a football game over a beer and snack. Typically this establishment is understaffed and everything on the menu is way over-priced. On this day there was one server tending the bar and most of the restaurant. This could be a great place if only someone knew how to manage it.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Michelle B
Mill Creek, WA
“The best clam chowder ever”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stepped into CJs during the off season, and was pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness of this restaurant. I asked the server what their most popular dish was and she said the chowder was the best. So, I ordered as recommended. It may be the best I've ever had. Plenty of clams, and bacon served with a delicious roll. On the menu it stated it was the chef's specialty, and they are right. I would go back for chowder again, in a heartbeat.

• Visited October 2013
Homer, Alaska
“Fun family dinner”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

CJ's has a great burger, my mother-in-law typically gets seafood while there but we both chose the burger and they were really tasty. The view was great and I can't wait to visit during the summer so that we can sit on the deck.

• Visited September 2013