“Great Tarpum Bay rental!”
other travellers have booked this property
Culmer Cottage facing the sea A view of Tarpum Bay from the fish dock
Culmer Cottage facing the sea
A view of Tarpum Bay from the fish dock
view from bedroom at Culmer Cottage
living room
living room, dining table, stairs, love seat
kitchen faces the sea
queen bedroom airconditioned
smaller  double bedroom
My caretaker, Kervin Culmer who can take you fishing!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Elizabees
West Olive, Michigan
“Great Tarpum Bay rental!”
Reviewed 11 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

This was our 4th vacation rental on Eleuthera and one of the best. Culmer Cottage is very clean, comfortable, updated, and has all the conveniences we needed. We loved the artwork in each room and integrated into the house itself. We did not turn on the television, but had no problems with the A/C (main bedroom only), appliances, and wifi. We spent a lot of time sitting on the back patio watching the sea, and the goings-on in town.

We brought our own books, but if you finish yours, there are several more on the shelf to borrow. There are also great reference books for identifying fish, birds, and finding beaches. Check out the reference binder on the coffee table as it is filled with all kinds of helpful information and history.

While this cottage is not directly on the water, it is a short block from the Tarpum Bay beach and we frequently walked down for a quick dip to cool off. It is also within walking distance of a couple of small markets, the library, a few local bars as well as Barbie's for take out food.

We loved the location because it was very close to places we like to visit such as Governor's Harbor (30 minutes: good food, beaches, a few shops), Palmetto Point (20 minutes: beaches, snorkeling, local restaurants), Savanna Sound (15 minutes: snorkeling at the public ramp on the west end!!, Fish Bone Tours), Rock Sound (15 minutes: wonderful grocery store, swimming at Ocean Hole, eat at Sammy's and at The Friggate), Cape Eleuthera (55 minutes: Cape School, Gulley Hole) and Lighthouse Beach (65 minutes, best beach I've ever visited).

If you prefer, Lynn, the owner, will help you set up a car rental. The caretakers, Kervin and Brenda give you total privacy, but will check in and help you with anything that comes up.

Oh... I almost forgot to mention, this house is close to the public dock in Tarpum Bay. Daily, in the mid afternoon, you can buy fresh seasonal fish and seafood there. Another option is to let Kervin know what you would like and he can help you, including cooking it for you, if that is your wish.

We had such a great week that I'm having trouble integrating back into regular life. Tarpum Bay is a very special place to visit and this cottage is a wonderful place to call home during your time there.

24 Aug 2017
Elizabeth, thank you so much for this complete reviews
. You are experienced visitors to the island, so readers should realize you know what you are talking about! Please come back!
KaiReef
Melbourne, Florida
“Perfect way to experience the true Bahamas”
Reviewed 29 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

If you looking for an opportunity to have a slice of what the Bahamas are like without the full explosion of commercialism, this is the place. A great example of how Bahamians live, with the feel of a quaint true fishing village. Tarpum Bay was a joy. The people who live here are wonderful, pleasant and always helpful. The entire experience left us thinking, this must have been what it was like to live in a time and place before money or inanimate items were the most important things to a person. We will be going back because everyone should have an opportunity to spend some time living on true island time. Our 4 and 6 year olds had a great time spending the days playing in Tarpum Bay itself, or on the other numerous outstanding beaches. The house has a great history and has all the basics required for a comfortable stay for two adults and two young children. Only one room is air conditioned, but this was more than adequate with the cool breezy evenings. Although it would get warm in the afternoons, we didn't spend our time in the home during the day, as we were too busy touring and investigating the island and its people and beaches. Mr. Kervin and his wife, Mrs. Brenda are true characters, straight out of a Hemingway short story. WIth their knowledge and hospitality, you will have everything you need for a wonderful stay. If you are looking for a resort stay, this is not it. If you are looking for a comfortable, cozy slice of Bahamian life, this is the place.

29 Jul 2017
Thank you so much. I believe you captured life in Culmer Cottage in a Bahamian settlement perfectly. It's hard to describe the benefits of interacting with local residents and getting a slice of a quiet, beautiful island life. You are right, this is not a five star resort, but I think the experience provided far outweighs the luxury of any resort. It is especially great that your children could enjoy it too. I will be happy to welcome you back!!

'
drl201744...
North Port, Florida
“Charming cottage in the heart of local village with great view of the bay.”
Reviewed 12 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Great location and easy to access interesting spots on the island. Village people were friendly, helpful and area was safe but allowed a view of real Bahamian life. Cottage overlooked Tarpum Bay and was well-equiped to meet all of our needs. We enjoyed having the caretaker Miss Brenda taking care of the place and providing wonderful meals. We really enjoyed our visit and are planning another stay in the near future.

13 Jul 2017
Thank you so much. I am happy you chose to experience a bit of the real Bahamas. Eleuthera and its people are very special. I am glad you are returning.
akarpyn
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Clean simple home + beautiful view = amazing experience”
Reviewed 15 March 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

My children and I lived in this home for almost 2 months. We never knew Lynn the owner before we arrived but she did everything in her power to make us feel welcome, help us get acclimated and provided us with a wealth of information in advance of our trip. As you can imagine traveling to another country with two children was quite an ordeal! The Tarpum Bay community however made us feel at home. This area is home to some of the most welcoming, warm friendly people you could ask for. It certainly looks different than a standard American suburban neighborhood, but if you can stand to put your judgment aside, you will soon realize that the area is extremely safe the residents love to talk (say hello!) and the calm lapping water and warm weather is absolutely priceless. This home suited us very well and the caretakers we're always available when we had a question or needed a hand with something. The house is certainly not opulent, but has all the standard amenities including an air-conditioned bedroom, cable tv and a full sized kitchen, which makes for a lovely stay. I highly recommend this home. It is clean, safe, close to the beach and offers a true experience in the Bahamas.

16 Mar 2017
Thank you Allison. I am glad you and your family enjoyed Culmer Cottage and Tarpum Bay. It is a special island with special people.
Because I tried to preserve the historical construction and character, I did not make my house into a fancy modern house which would have necessitated changing the footprint. So my house is a seaside cottage with some charm. Glad you enjoyed it!
Kevin R
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect beach house and location!”
Reviewed 18 January 2017 for a stay in November 2016

My girlfriend and I stayed here for Thanksgiving week for a relaxing yet adventurous tropical vacation. The house was perfect. It was very clean when we arrived, had everything needed for when we cooked, good wifi and cable (even watched Thanksgiving football at night!) plus it is in the best location. Tarpum Bay itself is beautiful but we loved being less than 45 mins away from tons of beaches north or south. We ended up seeing 10 beaches over the course of our week long trip.

The house has a beautiful balcony overlooking the bay and new/comfortable furniture. One of the most helpful parts was the binder the owner has put together. She listed restaurants, beaches, things to do etc. By the end of the trip I felt like a local. Also her beach book that gives very valuable directions for finding the BEST remote beaches was a huge help. Most of the pages have hand written notes/tips on how to reach the beach. We even received a "How did you find this beach?" at one that we visited.

There is a great convenience store across the street (Berts) and good restaurants near by (.5 mi north Dolphin Blow Hole, Barbies takeaway across the street and Bayside which had some delicious conch salad!)

I would definitely recommend staying here for an authentic Bahamian getaway.

19 Jan 2017
So glad you enjoyed Culmer Cottage and Eleuthera. Thank you for your kind review. I always say, "Eleuthera is not for everyone," but I am so glad it was for you!
mrskpyoun...
Invermere, Canada
“Amazing Location”
Reviewed 7 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016

Spent two weeks in Tarpum Bay. Enjoyed exploring the southern part of Eleuthera. Calmer Cottage is very close to the dock for the fresh catch of the day. Grocery store behind the house as well as a restaurant. The weather was a pleasant 78 degrees everyday. The house cooled down nicely at night. Only one bedroom has air-conditioning.
We had a lot of ants during our stay. Upstairs bathroom as well as always in the kitchen. There is no bar-be-qu to cook supper. The selection of pots, pans, and utensils for cooking were very sub-standard. All the teflon frying pans were scratched up badly and the pans were all warped so the food cook not cook evenly. The can opener was so rusty, we dared not use it, as the whisk. The smell of moth balls in the kitchen cupboards was so overwhelming we did not want to open any drawers.We had to wash all dishes before we used them when we first arrived.
The local " caretakers" were not friendly nor helpful. They phoned us 8 am Christmas morning basically demanding that we pay them $50 for a terrible meal they had prepared for us the day we checked in. The meal that the owner had told us would be complimentary.
I feel sorry for the owner too because I hear it is difficult to have your property taken care of while you are away living in a different country.
It was a cute house, but we had some issues with the kitchen not being cleaned or stocked very nicely. We were paying almost $260 Canadian a night to stay there

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
15 Mar 2017
It has taken me a while to know how to respond to this review. I came down immediately after you left to inspect my cottage. I found that the air conditioner was broken, and it is brand new. The pans were just fine except for one stainless steel pan someone had burned. As for ants. This is the tropics and I warn everyone not to leave anything out. We do have critters here. I have no clue what the issue is with mothballs in drawers. There is a small bag under the sink only. My caretakers, usually very popular with guests, apparently got off on the wrong foot. I am trying hard not to be defensive; however, this review is most unusual. I am sorry your experience was not happier. I do try to work with all my guests prior to arrival letting them know what to bring, and then I leave a comprehensive notebook of maps and helpful information.
Helen R
“A beautiful place, but......”
Reviewed 28 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Eleuthera has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth - mile after mile of stunning beaches - many to ourselves - and add snorkelling and diving opportunities to that and its rally rather wonderful. However......it is very quiet and sadly in many ways, forgotten.
Targum Bay is quite pretty and you get a sense there is a real community there - people were friendly and helpful but it's very limited in facilities and things to do. You definitely need a car and preferably a 4 x 4 to reach many of the other far more beautiful beaches - some are down very very rough tracks. Targum beach is pretty but you need to walk about 10 mins from the village centre to find the cleanest spot.

The cottage was lovely if a little tired - bathrooms and kitchen could do with updating as could the crockery and utensils... and to have aircon in only 1 bedroom when its still 28 celsius at night isn't really adequate. There are fans in the rooms which helped and Im sure its fine in cooler months.
That said it was still a nice place to stay and use as a base to see such beautiful island. We went from top to bottom and loved it. Particularly Lighthouse Beach, Harbour Island, Cape Eleuthera and the amazing school and institute there, Tippy's, French Leave Beach, Half Sound Beach, Winding Bay and the Sky Beach Club with its great restaurant and swim up bar.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views and the helpful owner
Liked least: Outdated bathrooms and kitchens and no zircon in second bedroom.
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
28 Aug 2016
I am happy that you loved Eleuthera. It is, as we say, not for everyone. I am surprised that you felt the house was tired as all the furniture is new, and the concrete kitchen counters, infused with shells and sea glass, are also new. So glad you were able to visit Eleuthera from top to bottom. There is lots to explore. It's a quiet island, a place to reflect and call your own. Come back and visit during the cooler months!!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing