“Good stay.. But not so good we want to pay twice”

Chapters Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stokesley
Hartlepool, England, United Kingdom
“Good stay.. But not so good we want to pay twice”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Had an amazing night away for my hubbies birthday.. The meal was one of the best I've ever had, the room was clean and pleasant.. Staff friendly and not stuffy( something I abhor). However there was a little confusion over our bill when checking out and when or statements arrived we
then discovered the bill came off mine and also my hubbies credit card... Seems that we paid someone else's bill ( my hubby gave his card details when booking, but I actually settled the bill) It was soon sorted after a call. But I think a little more care is perhaps needed.... That said it didn't dampen the enjoyment of our stay. And I would recommend a stay to anyone

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Hello LyndaL

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

We really do apologise for this error. We have spoken to the member of staff in question and have explained about what had happened. The member of staff was horrified to learn that they had taken a payment from the wrong room.

We have put procedures in place for this not to happen again and we do look forward to seeing you back again at Chapters in the near future.

Steven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
North East England
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We have been a few times now and have been overcharged in all occasions. Last meal we had was very mediocre and to add insult to injury we were overcharged.

There seems to be no middle ground with Chapters. Either very good or very bad.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello NortheastenglandVal

We are saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your meal here at Chapters Hotel. We do pride ourselves on our feedback and do tackle all negative points head on, so we do not repeat the errors.

We have contacted you to see when you visited so we can investigate this incident but we don't seem to have had a response from you. We have spoken to all our staff but no-one is aware of this error. We would like to sort this issue with yourself and if you could contact the hotel, we would be grateful.

Peterborough
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We visited for Sunday Lunch as a party of six, and had an exceptional meal to remember, and nothing could be faulted from food (taste, quality and presentation) to service.

On arrival we were immediately greated and shown to our table, whereupon the waitresses proceeded to place every one's napkin individually - to me a sign of attention to detail and good training and which continued throughout the meal: as soon as the last person laid down their cutlery to signal they were finished the waiting staff were there collectivley to clear the tables.

The presentation and taste of the food was excellent: I had the soup (home made and piping hot) followed by well portioned roast beef, all served on piping hot plates.

The overall bill for six was a shy over £120 (inc. drinks) which I consider excellent value for money in this day and age. Another sign of attention to detail was that when I paid by credit card and then was leaving with our party the maitre-de wished me good-bye by my name on the credit card. Small detail but adds to the welcome.

Overall, an excellent place to eat and thoroughly recommended. It certainly sets the bar for all restaurants.

The only critism my wife had was she thought the portion size for her risotto was small and could easily have eaten double (not really a critism, more a reflection on how tasty her food was).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dera Sidmouth4you

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review about our restaurant here at Chapters Hotel

I have passed your comments onto the whole team - we really appreciate it when our customers have enjoyed their experience here at Chapters...

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this quaint market hotel many times on the special offer if dinner,bed and breakfast and it is such a great deal as you can choose anything from the a la carte menu!rhe rooms are lovely.My favourite is the blue room overlooking the market square but I have to say they are all tastefully decorated with clean bathrooms and Molton Brown toiletries.
The food is superb and on one occasion I asked for asparagus and the waiter left the restaurant and came back with fresh asparagus!!!
Chris the restaurant manager is polite,efficient and I have to say one of the best waiters ever.He is very professional and knowledgeable of which wines to accompany which dishes on the menu.
The place is a must and if you can get the special it is worth every penny.Cant wait to return.

• Stayed September 2012
Hello Sammybianchi

We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this review

We are really pleased when we read such delightful comments from our guests. It makes us feel more assured that we are delivering the best service we are capable of.

Room 14 (second Floor executive) is a popular room with the lovely white furniture in

I have passed your comments onto the whole team

We do look forward to seeing you again at Chapters

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

What a wonderful experience we had, it was my partner's birthday, excellent service and absolutely nothing too much too much trouble, staff were friendly, helpful and even the manager gave us his parking space on market square on arrival! Our room although small. but we booked late was very clean, bathroom spotless, bedlinen immaculate, little touches of petit fours and complimentary wine much appreciated. As for food, it was excellent, dinner was to die for (tempura prawns and steak very much recommended) Equally breakfast was relaxed and open to whatever we required, once again no problem to the staff. A totally relaxing and enjoyable experience. Would we stay again? Without a doubt, total value for money! Well done Chapters! Hope to be back soon

Room Tip: Chose a rear room as hotel on a market square
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear PaulineC

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review

We are over the moon to hear that you have enjoyed your time here at Chapters Hotel and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

I have passed your comments onto the whole team

scotland
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Chapters might be better described as a bistro with rooms than a hotel. It is situated in an old coaching inn in the very pretty little town of Stokesley. The hotel is on the main street, but at least on the night that I stayed the main street was quiet. The reception is tucked down a little cobbled ally and the staff were friendly and helpful. The building itself suffers I suppose from it's shape, and my room was on the second floor up a narrow staircase. The stair carpets have seen better days, but are still in one piece. The room was light and clean and had good , solid and plentiful drawers etc. My view was over terracotta roofs, but none the worse for that. The bathroom was clean and had a good if noisy power shower, but a rather ineffective fan. The bed was of good quality as was the sleep. Why have I only given it an average rating? It is the little things again - the breakfast offered what you might expect from a full yorkshire breakfast, but all the ingredients were of poor quality - sausage, black pudding , bacon and beans were all of cheap quality, and the orange juice was better left. For a bistro with rooms, this could be an opportunity to shine with local produce, might cost a pound or two more, but would be better in terms of repeat business. I didn't eat in the bistro, but had a drink in the bar - there were only three of us drinking in there at 9.00, but the staff were friendly and helpful, the bat very pleasant and the prices reasonable. Would I stay there again? If the breakfasts had been better I would say definitely yes - as it is, I'll probably have a look to see what else is around for next time I visit the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hello Seajay1111

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We really do appreciate feedback from our guests and we have taken your comments about breakfast on board and the Head Chef is currently reviewing her suppliers to improve the quality.

As you can imagine a hotel as old as Chapters (over 250 years), we do have some constraints in changes, but try to always improve the current surroundings.

I have also noted the point about the fan and shower - we have our maintenance men tasked this role next week to source the issues highlighted.

We do hope that you will try Chapters again and look forward to it.

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed one night in a room which overlooked the marketplace. The room was ok with a large windowless bathroom that was showing signs of wear and tear. Because of the recent heatwave, I had all the windows open which meant I was woken up at 05:30am by the market place traffic and dustcarts cleaning up.
Breakfast was ok but served at the back of the hotel in somewhat dark, sombre surroundings. (I much prefer "a room with a view")
There is no hotel car park but there is ample parking outside the front of the hotel in the market place, but you may need to move/pay if you stay after 10:00am

Room Tip: Room 1 overlooks the marketplace - can be noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter W
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Peter W

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. We do take all comments on board and appreciate you letting us know about the noise outside.

We do work with the local market traders and also the bin collectors and ask for them to be considerate of our guests who are staying at the hotel

We have forwarded your comments onto the local Parish Council, so they can at least be aware of the noise and the timings and also look into this matter for us.

We do hope to see you again in the near future.

(Owner)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stokesley
Wainstones Hotel
#5 of 11 in Middlesbrough
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne

Been to Chapters Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!